Old 01-05-2017, 06:05 PM   #1
abr

Default Zoom Pan Shot

I tried my hand at a zoom pan shot of the Acela Express yesterday: http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...49&key=5709845

I know I've brought up the topic of pan shots before. Assuming this isn't just a matter of sharpening, if I were to attempt this shot again, what would make it more-RP worthy in the future? Is the station a backdrop that would work or do I need a backdrop with more of a clear sky? How much more of the lead/trailing power car should be in focus?
abr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 09:31 PM   #2
RobJor

Stick my neck out - since I never tried but in general-
Not that you have to copy others but for a start you can search for
"zoom pan" right on this site and find what others have done that works.
Going away is not typical and not sure how fast that train is going but what I see on the Acela is typically on a longer stretch and the train farther away as you want to get a tunnel effect and technically I would think the closer the harder. I'd also think that going away is harder as you are unable to "lock in" and begin to zoom as it approaches.
Slower trains would be ?????

There was another thread on panning and I was afraid to chime in but again on that one , the setup was not typical as the subject was moving into the frame. What you mostly see is the subject at 90 degree so the subject to camera distance stays fairly constant and you can lock in and follow before actually shooting.

Bob, who doesn't shoot pans so?
RobJor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 02:53 AM   #3
conrail1990

To me you've done a fine zoom pan. Your blurry and soft may both be a result of under sharpening, unless they are looking for the side lettering to be clear also. For any pan shot in general you have to sharpen just a little more to get the crisp effect that is desired. Your framing was spot on ( at least for me).The thing that does bother me is the lighting. Dark trucks but blown out sky. I would suggest trying again when the sun is higher.

Mitch is the undisputed pan master of train photography so he could probably be of way more assistance then I can.
Image © Evan Schilling
PhotoID: 532147
Photograph © Evan Schilling
conrail1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 12:25 PM   #4
ShortlinesUSA

What little I've tried with pan shots makes me know they are hard and you're going to get more throw aways than keepers. I would say the reject is close, but not quite. If you compare it to the linked shot from Evan Schilling, you'll note a big difference-- the nose of the 633 is tack sharp, and naturally draws the viewer's eye right to it. There is nothing tack sharp on 2030. Close, but not there. Also appears to be a slight bounce in the pan when I look at the signals. That may be the reason nothing appears sharp.

Shortline and Regional RR forum moderator
ShortlinesUSA is offline   Reply With Quote