Old 06-29-2008, 06:08 PM   #1
JimThias

Default People walking/running/riding bikes in front of trains

Image © Steven M. Welch
PhotoID: 240872
Photograph © Steven M. Welch

This picture seems to be creating a little debate, and instead of starting a discussion in the photo remarks section, I figured it would be better to discuss it here.

Joe, I'm not sure if you're being facetious, or what, so I guess I'll try to address your comment here.

Quote:
So if I gather from the comments above, these guys actually aren't idiots at all. In fact, they're pretty smart, right? I mean, I see a train and the first thing I think of is: Hey, let's walk out in front of it! So, Steven, I'm sorry but these guys are obviously all MIT grads on the way to finding a cure for cancer or lower gas prices. I can't believe you didn't give them a standing ovation out there.

What I see here is no different from the hustle and bustle of the big city where people walk in front of oncoming traffic all the time...yet no one seems to be make a big deal about that. One thing is for sure, these types of photos with descriptions like this certainly garner a lot of views and comments. i guess that's good for the photographer. So even if you find people walking in front of a parked train (i have a few of those shots), be sure to just say that the people were crossing in front of a fast moving train and no one will ever know the difference....and you'll get a lot of views and comments. Basically what I'm getting at, in situations like, this, a description can be much persuasive than the actual photo itself. We can't really tell how fast or slow the train is moving, nor do we have any idea how fast the people are walking/running. The train might have even been coming to a stop for ll we know, yet so many people are quick to jump on with the "idiot" comments.

So here are a couple example shots I took recently . When I got this picture back in May, I thought to myself that I could come up with a persuasive caption that would get a lot of views (nevermind the fact that it would get dinged for poor lighting):

"The biker looks back after he clears the tracks to see how close he was to getting hit by the train rolling through the park."

If that picture was submittable, and I wrote that caption, how many people do you think would reply with "Idiot!" and "He almost got a Darwin Award" and so on?

Here's another just a few minutes later:

"This man and his family risk life and limb as they scurry in front of the slow moving train rolling through the park."

Geezuz, I can't even BEGIN to imagine the comments people would leave with that one. If you sensationalize an image, people are likly to believe anything, regardless of what was really happening in the scene. In the above two pictures, the train had been parked in that spot for a good 5-10 minutes, but the ditch lights were left on, giving the illusion that it was moving.

I know some people are going to take issue with this, but seeing these shots posted and the predictable replies that follow is just a little peeve of mine.
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 10:32 PM   #2
ccaranna

I agree with Jim on this matter...I feel a serious case of the old coming on whenever I see pics like this with "What an idiot" captions. I mean come ON. It just a charlatanic way of inducing views by using sensationalism.

Wolf, I hear boy calling....
ccaranna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 11:28 PM   #3
Andrew Blaszczyk (2)

Send a message via AIM to Andrew Blaszczyk (2) Send a message via Yahoo to Andrew Blaszczyk (2)

The canoe was splintered into a million pieces and the second man got clipped by the plow just seconds after this photo was taken.

or

NS local H76 sits shy of the Delaware River Walkway Bridge allowing canoers and swimmers to get to their vans/cars as they await a Form D to head back to Allentown.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PortlandCanoers.jpg
Views:	215
Size:	470.4 KB
ID:	3004  

"My camera is an artistic medium, not a tool of terrorism."

www.ab2photography.com Coming soon!
My photos on RailPictures:
http://www.railpictures.net/showphotos.php?userid=960
Andrew Blaszczyk (2) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 01:28 AM   #4
JimThias

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Blaszczyk (2)
The canoe was splintered into a million pieces and the second man got clipped by the plow just seconds after this photo was taken.
Nice catch, Andrew. Did you help them pick up the pieces?
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 02:26 AM   #5
Andrew Blaszczyk (2)

Send a message via AIM to Andrew Blaszczyk (2) Send a message via Yahoo to Andrew Blaszczyk (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimThias
Nice catch, Andrew. Did you help them pick up the pieces?
Of course, we needed fire wood*.

*Obviously, its not made of wood.

"My camera is an artistic medium, not a tool of terrorism."

www.ab2photography.com Coming soon!
My photos on RailPictures:
http://www.railpictures.net/showphotos.php?userid=960
Andrew Blaszczyk (2) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 09:20 PM   #6
Joe the Photog
A dude with a camera

I'm not going to argue on how some poeplemake an automatic knee jerk reaction to shots like this one. In fact, several years ago, I decided to test this very thing. I posted this shot

Image ©
PhotoID:
Photograph ©

In the caption, I alluded to the possibility that what you think you're seeing might not actually be what youre saying. I then made acomment in the comments section fessing up.... and stilll folks thought the train was movint toward the car or just didn't plain understand the point I was trying to make.

Maybe I wasn't very clear.

But then tis goes both ways. I later posted this shot

Image ©
PhotoID:
Photograph ©

and judging from some of the comments, as well as a few e-mails to me and a discussion on a YahooGroup, some folks thought this wasn't much of a big deal. People said the train was stopped or that the crossing wasn't working right or that itwasn't really that close to begin with.

I bet if I had written the caption this way "Stopped train in Columbia, SC" people would have been more up in arms about the folks crossing in front of it somehow. Every case is different. In the shot that started this debate, no way in hell I would have ran in front of that train if it was moving toward me, no matter what speed. Fall down, hit your head on the pavement and all of a sudden you're road kill. Second, as someone who likes trains and stays by the tracks some, not as much as usual, whateverI can do to relieve the crew of any stressthey may have, I'll do. So, yeah, I do think these guys were stupid.

Joe
Old 07-25-2008, 12:33 AM   #7
railfan_Montreal

Hi here's some shooting of dangerouses peopples ahead a train comming

some videos that I missed,but,I keeped it.
http://fr.youtube.com/watch?v=AzTzOLovrfw

http://fr.youtube.com/watch?v=F5BKWntQLfE
railfan_Montreal is offline   Reply With Quote