Old 09-01-2009, 05:50 AM   #1
MTM9

Default Question about rain

I have a question regarding pictures with rain in them, what is the line between poor image quality and and acceptable photo? My reason for asking this is because I had a picture, http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...&key=679327345 rejected for poor image quality and I realize that it isn't great, but at the same time thought that with the rain it stood some sort of a chance. Thanks for any input.

Matt
MTM9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 09:16 AM   #2
Bryan Jones

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTM9 View Post
I have a question regarding pictures with rain in them, what is the line between poor image quality and and acceptable photo? My reason for asking this is because I had a picture, http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...&key=679327345 rejected for poor image quality and I realize that it isn't great, but at the same time thought that with the rain it stood some sort of a chance. Thanks for any input.

Matt
in the case of your photo, the rain looks much more like noise and is just another strike against an already poor quality photo. Also just looking at the train itself you can see that the photo is badly slanted and soft as well. The scene itself is rather bland too, just a standard 3/4 wedgie without much character to it. Its possible to take some excellent photos in the rain, it just takes practice and the conditions have to be right. Take a look at your photo and then take a look at some photos on here where its raining and you'll see a big difference in overall quality, not to mention composition and character of the image.

Bryan Jones
Brooks,KY
Bryan Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 01:48 PM   #3
asis80

Send a message via AIM to asis80

Wow! Sorry bud, but this is a definate NO GO. Do you have shots that don't have rain? Because I can't tell if it's the rain or your camera making it look like that. I mean, ya, the rain is hindering but even through the rain I can tell the IQ is pretty bad, but again that just may be the rain messing with me. Also, why didn't you level the shot? Again, I'd like to see some of your shots without rain so I can better judge the IQ and compare so we can fish out how to fix an IQ problem, if in fact there is one. There's just way too much rain to tell anything.

Ben
Old 09-01-2009, 01:56 PM   #4
pderekh

I've been holding off on these two because I know it'll be really tough to get anything in with rain. If I can emphasize the rain more, crop, etc. Do I have something to work with to pass the screeners?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	_MG_3233_1.JPG
Views:	93
Size:	61.3 KB
ID:	4596   Click image for larger version

Name:	_MG_3234_1.JPG
Views:	80
Size:	47.8 KB
ID:	4597  
pderekh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 02:29 PM   #5
asis80

Send a message via AIM to asis80

I really like the glints and the sky. Either the rain is too much or too little in both. With some work, they may pass.

Ben
Old 09-01-2009, 02:33 PM   #6
travsirocz

Send a message via AIM to travsirocz

Quote:
Originally Posted by pderekh View Post
I've been holding off on these two because I know it'll be really tough to get anything in with rain. If I can emphasize the rain more, crop, etc. Do I have something to work with to pass the screeners?
I think you almost had a real winner there. Sun rain is always nice plus you can actually see the individual rain drops. I think the fence and cars on the right takes a lot away from the shot. That scene with a little different composition with a lead locomotive would have been very nice.

For the original poster - rain shots need to still look sharp even with the blurr of the rain in it or you need to be able to easily tell that it is raining by seeing the rain or seeing the headlight shining through the downpour. My tip - in heavy rain shot with as high of a shutter speed as you can and shot as close as you can to the subject.
travsirocz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 03:06 AM   #7
pderekh

here's a recent example

http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=295245
pderekh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 12:08 AM   #8
Bob Pickering

Ha! I just saw this thread after I started another...rain shots I think do get in but they are tough very tough to do so. I like to shoot in the rain and I have submitted a number of rain shots and so far this year only one has made it in and of my 700 plus photos there are only maybe 4 rain shots that I managed to get in.

BP
Bob Pickering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 12:44 AM   #9
MTM9

http://mattmizeur.rrpicturearchives....spx?id=1691102

Here's a sample picture.
MTM9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 07:43 PM   #10
steambrake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pickering View Post
...rain shots I think do get in but they are tough very tough to do so.BP
The standards are the standards, right? If an image is sharp, in spite of the rain - and properly exposed, composed, etc,. I would think it should get in.
If the rain is an integral part of the photo, all the better. Here's my soaking wet contribution...
http://www.railpictures.net/viewphot...=295609&nseq=1

Stephen

Last edited by steambrake; 09-04-2009 at 07:55 PM.
steambrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 08:48 PM   #11
cblaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pickering View Post
...rain shots I think do get in but they are tough very tough to do so.
Quote:
Originally Posted by steambrake View Post
The standards are the standards, right? If an image is sharp, in spite of the rain - and properly exposed, composed, etc,. I would think it should get in.
Stephen,

First off, great shot. Glad you braved the elements for it. Secondly, there are plenty of rain shots on RP, most very well done.

The reason people bitch that they can't get rain (or snow) shots on RP is because they screw up the shot somehow. Look up at the sky during a rain shower, or even a cloudy day. There is almost always some detail in the sky, various shades in the clouds, etc. Yet, people insist on adding shots where the sky is completely blown out white, with no detail. The first rule of shooting on cloudy days is expose for the sky, not the subject. Preserve some detail in the sky, you can always fix the subject's exposure in post processing.

Or, a photog could go the route you have and eliminate the sky altogether. No milky white sky causing a distraction there to take away from the subject. Lastly, shoot from an elevated vantage point. Instead of boring, dark, rainy wedgies, get above the train. This also aides in eliminating the sky. Any bad weather photo can get on RP, if the photographer is willing to make an effort for a good shot, and not just shoot through an open window while staying dry in the car.

Note: These suggestions are not aimed at you, Stephen, because you don't need any pointers, judging from your (much appreciated) coverage of the WW&F. I just get frustrated with people coming about their poor weather wedgies not making it.

- Chris
Old 09-04-2009, 09:07 PM   #12
Andrew Blaszczyk (2)

Send a message via AIM to Andrew Blaszczyk (2) Send a message via Yahoo to Andrew Blaszczyk (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by steambrake View Post
The standards are the standards, right?

Stephen
No, the guidelines are guidelines. RP doesn't have standards. People tend to think this or that isn't accepted because RP says so but in reality if something is done well but breaks a "rule" it still stands a chance. That's why rejecting cloudy shots isn't a STANDARD it's just a guideline that may be broken as is the case with this thread. Unless you take something like this:
Image © HTTR
PhotoID: 225142
Photograph © HTTR

Sun AND heavy snow. Ridiculous.

My brother basically covered it all. The only difficult part of taking a heavy rain/snow shot is making sure the train is in focus not the precip. Oh yeah, making sure your shutter speed is fast enough to stop action too since it is darker than a normal day. It's like taking a normal photo...just in the rain. Not too complicated.

"My camera is an artistic medium, not a tool of terrorism."

www.ab2photography.com Coming soon!
My photos on RailPictures:
http://www.railpictures.net/showphotos.php?userid=960
Andrew Blaszczyk (2) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 09:26 PM   #13
steambrake

er...did I say standards? I'm sure I meant guidelines

Thanks, Christopher - Thanks, Andrew!

Stephen
steambrake is offline   Reply With Quote