Old 07-02-2008, 01:58 PM   #1
captadam

Default No nose light!

I stumbled across an ad for Norfolk Southern on CNN.com today. I can't help but wonder what the RP.net screeners might say about this shot. Would it make the cut?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	NS-ad.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	131.4 KB
ID:	3021  
captadam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 02:16 PM   #2
John Ryan

Send a message via AIM to John Ryan

If they're going to talk about the environment, they should have shown a GEVO.

I used to think that rejections here meant the photo was basically unusable ... until I sold a reject for several hundred dollars. Whether something makes the cut is arbitrary and relatively meaningless. That said, NS could have found any number of better photos on this very site.
John Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 02:36 PM   #3
JRMDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Ryan
I used to think that rejections here meant the photo was basically unusable ... until I sold a reject for several hundred dollars. Whether something makes the cut is arbitrary and relatively meaningless.
Well...

I think there is a big difference between arbitrary, subjective, and subjective with some degree of inconsistency (and there is a separate issue as to whether that inconsistency is the least possible or not).

As for meaningless, I think RP has a set of criteria, not the only possible criteria (for my tastes, way too negative on nose light if the side is well lit, for example), and those criteria usefully separate out lots of bad pictures from lots of good pictures. Let's not throw the baby out with the bathwater. It may not be uniquely meaningful, but meaningless is just an extreme that does not hold here.

So with respect to both words I find the rhetoric misguided and inaccurate.

It is certainly part of the learning process to figure out that RP rejection is not the same as unusable.

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 03:02 PM   #4
captadam

Good comments.

I posted this for a couple reasons ... first, I thought it was kind of funny that NS was using a photo that was obviously not nearly as good as most of what is posted here every day (a testament to the skill of the contributors and the standards of the site). And, second, as you both pointed out ... the standards of this site are not universally and objectively the only acceptable standards for railroad photography. It's good for people like myself with mountains of rejects to realize this.
captadam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 05:20 PM   #5
gbrozny

Send a message via ICQ to gbrozny

The majority of the pictures in their annual report probably would not make it here either:

http://www.nscorp.com/nscportal/nsco...007/AR2007.pdf
gbrozny is offline   Reply With Quote