Old 05-12-2008, 12:17 AM   #1
Kincaid Butler

Default Idea for easing hard feelings over RP rejections...

I've long had the idea that for every 100 or so successful submissions, perhaps Railpictures could allow a user to override a rejected photo of his or her choice - provided that it meets the size requirements and is not too far off in quality standards. It might even increase submissions and would not greatly lower the overall quality of photos here since these would be such a small percentage of the total photos on RP. Sort of like those who are chosen for the photo essays on the front page get to use whichever picture they like.

I know I have quite a few favorites I'd like to share that otherwise would probably not be accepted here. Just a thought to consider for our hosts!

Rich
Kincaid Butler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 01:31 AM   #2
Greg P

Send a message via AIM to Greg P

that's not a bad idea, I've always thought about a "best of the worst" idea where people vote on rejected pictures.
Greg P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 01:46 AM   #3
Mike B.
Banned

The photos are rejected for a reason.

Either use the advice and get some accepted or move on.
Mike B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 02:29 AM   #4
captadam

Yeah, Mike, I know. But there are still some really interesting subjects that get rejected and really aren't that bad--and there are some aesthetically pleasing shots that just don't pass the (sometimes arbitrary) standards of RP. Sometimes I think it would be neat if the day's reject pile were open to public viewing--just for the day, so we can see all the interesting scenes that we'd otherwise miss.

I'm not interested in smoothing hurt feelings, however; I'm more interested in it from the perspective of the end user.
captadam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 02:51 AM   #5
Tgranville

Send a message via AIM to Tgranville Send a message via Yahoo to Tgranville

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike B.
The photos are rejected for a reason.

Either use the advice and get some accepted or move on.
Exactly.

Bite the bullet, learn from the experience.

Use the forums for feedback for the next time you go out railfanning. Thats what they are here for. Ask questions. Learn from the advice people are giving.

My RP.net Photos

My Flickr Photos
Tgranville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 03:07 AM   #6
JRMDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kincaid Butler
It might even increase submissions
I don't think RP is lacking in submissions. I'm not the screeners, but from what I read in these forums, I think what they would want is fewer submissions, somehow getting rid of those with no chance. I suspect the
Quote:
Originally Posted by captadam
the day's reject pile were open to public viewing--just for the day, so we can see all the interesting scenes that we'd otherwise miss.
is mostly full of stuff we want to miss, plus a bunch of stuff we want to see and do get to see eventually once they are fixed up. I suspect that it would be tough slogging to find the few that we would want to see. Just a speculation, based on how screeners have talked about the process in these forums, bits here and there.

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 03:10 AM   #7
captadam

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRMDC
is mostly full of stuff we want to miss, plus a bunch of stuff we want to see and do get to see eventually once they are fixed up. I suspect that it would be tough slogging to find the few that we would want to see. Just a speculation, based on how screeners have talked about the process in these forums, bits here and there.
You're probably right--but looking through the day's reject pile might mean people will be less annoyed by the perception that RP is picky for no good reason. "Well, on second thought, those rejects ARE pretty bad!"
captadam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 03:11 AM   #8
Mike B.
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by captadam
Yeah, Mike, I know. But there are still some really interesting subjects that get rejected and really aren't that bad--and there are some aesthetically pleasing shots that just don't pass the (sometimes arbitrary) standards of RP. Sometimes I think it would be neat if the day's reject pile were open to public viewing--just for the day, so we can see all the interesting scenes that we'd otherwise miss.

I'm not interested in smoothing hurt feelings, however; I'm more interested in it from the perspective of the end user.
Then go to RRPA, that's what it's there for. Plenty of interesting scenes there.
Mike B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 03:23 AM   #9
bigbassloyd

Quote:
Then go to RRPA, that's what it's there for. Plenty of interesting scenes there.
For once I agree with something you've typed!

Loyd L.

My personal photography site
bigbassloyd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 03:40 AM   #10
molinematt
Banned

Quote:
I'm trying to, but they won't except me either. Once I do get an account there I promise I won't ask so many questions that just seem to show how bad at this I am.
molinematt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 03:56 AM   #11
Northern Limits

I'm glad this web site has high (rigid) standards. Seeing the number of successful submissions that look similar to other pictures on the data base - they can afford to be selective.
No photo charters up here

Click Here to view my photos at RailPictures.Net!
Northern Limits is offline   Reply With Quote