Old 06-10-2008, 05:53 PM   #1
trainboysd40

Send a message via MSN to trainboysd40
Default Wow, orange.

I ws shocked to see this photo in the database, it being so off-color. The BCR unit looks a bit yellow, and last time I checked, fresh ballast was grey!
Image © SRY384
PhotoID: 238893
Photograph © SRY384
Obligatory link to shots on RP, HERE

Last edited by trainboysd40; 06-10-2008 at 07:37 PM.
trainboysd40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 06:12 PM   #2
Walter S

Send a message via AIM to Walter S

If you are talking about the engine behind CN 2276 it looks white to me. Red White and Blue actually.
Walter S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 06:23 PM   #3
Khalua10

I don't see anything wired about the color, looks normal to me too
Khalua10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 07:03 PM   #4
Rui Nunes

Send a message via MSN to Rui Nunes

There must be something wrong with the color temperature in your screen
- It doesn't make sense to speak seriously to someone who is joking. On the other hand, if you were joking I wouldn't take you seriously. It's a complicated situation, I wouldn't want to be in your shoes...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/rui_gv_nunes/
Rui Nunes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 08:19 PM   #5
captadam

When I saw that photo, I thought, "cool scene--fresh ballast on the right, derelict track on the left."

I didn't think to get annoyed by the color.
captadam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 09:55 PM   #6
bigbassloyd

Looked a bit off to me too, so I did a white balance edit, and it does look alot better

here's the edited version I did, with a knock to the image quality:

Loyd L.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	12121.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	200.5 KB
ID:	2911  

My personal photography site
bigbassloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 10:14 PM   #7
Chicago Railfan

Send a message via AIM to Chicago Railfan Send a message via Yahoo to Chicago Railfan

It's probably just a new engine. The colors surrounding it are not as bright as the red. Or he did enhance it using a selected area cutting tool.
Chicago Railfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 11:25 PM   #8
rpalmer
RailPictures.net Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by trainboysd40
I ws shocked to see this photo in the database, it being so off-color.
Funny... I thought the same thing when I first saw that Morant's Curve shot with the fake color.
Old 06-11-2008, 12:23 AM   #9
Two-Tone-Green

Send a message via MSN to Two-Tone-Green

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpalmer
Funny... I thought the same thing when I first saw that Morant's Curve shot with the fake color.
I thought the same, then I said to myself... RP accepted it didn't they? so what could possibly be wrong with it!
Two-Tone-Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 08:03 AM   #10
MichaelJ
The Photo Journalist

The accepted shot appears to have more of a 'warm' tone whilst the edited shot appears to have more of a 'cool' tone. Personally, I prefer the cool tone in this instance.

The views expressed in this reply are personal and do not represent the views or policy of my employer.
MichaelJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 03:03 PM   #11
Ween

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpalmer
That's the award winner right there...we know who didn't screen that shot!

BTW, is the new protocol now to pick shots out of the database and question why they were accepted?
Old 06-11-2008, 04:01 PM   #12
KevinM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ween
BTW, is the new protocol now to pick shots out of the database and question why they were accepted?
Once in a while, I'll see a shot that I personally think doesn't look right, or looks worse than a recent reject of mine....and I grumble to myself like everyone else. But to drag a photo out and take shots at it in a public forum....not sure that makes me or anyone else a better photographer. And from my personal standpoint, I think improving one's skills is one of biggest selling points of this site.

My RP stuff is here.

Link to my Flickr Albums. Lots of Steam Railroad stuff there from all over the US.
KevinM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 04:42 PM   #13
JRMDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinM
But to drag a photo out and take shots at it in a public forum....not sure that makes me or anyone else a better photographer. And from my personal standpoint, I think improving one's skills is one of biggest selling points of this site.
Well, to take a photo and discuss it in public, thus taking one's own personal view and comparing it to that of others, I think that is a huge contribution to improving one's skills. The whole point is that you get to see the views of others and rethink your own, and the same with them. The line between discussion and "taking shots" can be thin, and can in part be spanned by discussion in a respectful manner.

For the same reason I generally support seeing posts where people compare their own rejection to an accepted shot. Is there a clearer method of showing how their shot differs from one that has been accepted? Instead of a bunch of words, one simply says "ok, here is yours, here is the one you think is just like yours, here is how yours is not up to snuff and that one is."

The only issue here is that some people may not want their shot discussed. I'm torn about that - if the shot has been made public, why can't it be discussed? At the same time, how much respect does one show the shooter; does one leave them alone? Ultimately it comes down to what "residual rights" a person has to the use of the shot after it has been posted.

In my blog I hope to do more critical discussions of shots, more discussion of where a shot falls short, but I will never do so without approval of the shooter. But what the standard should be here in the RP forums, can't say and don't know who gets to say.

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 04:52 PM   #14
Carl Becker

My first thought looking at that shot: a mainly cloudy shot that the photog saturated to try to make it look more sunny. And they didn't do a very good job of it. Sometimes this method works (more often in B&W), sometimes it doesn't...
Carl Becker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 05:29 PM   #15
KevinM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRMDC
The only issue here is that some people may not want their shot discussed. I'm torn about that - if the shot has been made public, why can't it be discussed? At the same time, how much respect does one show the shooter; does one leave them alone? Ultimately it comes down to what "residual rights" a person has to the use of the shot after it has been posted.
This is at the heart of what I was trying to say in the post above. We can definitely all learn from the discussion about the merits or problems associated with a particular photo. I'm just more comfortable when the photographer him/herself asks for opinions, or is at least present on the forum to defend how they did things....or perhaps agree with the critiques. But that's just me. While it is certainly true that anyone who posts anything on the internet is leaving themselves open for public critique, it could also be argued that a photographer submitting shots here was really looking for a critique from the RP Screeners, and if the shot has already been accepted, the requested critique has been rendered.

It's a tough call. Folks who have established reputations can probably withstand harsh criticism easier than relative newbies, who may be easily discouraged. I try to put myself in the position of that poor guy or gal who has buckets of rejects and is still trying to get their first shot in here. For that poor soul, having us all pile on might not be the best environment for him or her to learn.

My RP stuff is here.

Link to my Flickr Albums. Lots of Steam Railroad stuff there from all over the US.
KevinM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 05:54 PM   #16
Carl Becker

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinM
Folks who have established reputations can probably withstand harsh criticism easier than relative newbies, who may be easily discouraged. I try to put myself in the position of that poor guy or gal who has buckets of rejects and is still trying to get their first shot in here. For that poor soul, having us all pile on might not be the best environment for him or her to learn.
FWIW, the photog who posted the image has just six photos online:

http://www.railpictures.net/showphotos.php?userid=8283

Old 06-11-2008, 08:59 PM   #17
matth

Default Do unto others...

Here's a simple answer to the quandry about critiquing other people's shots without their permission: Would you like someone else to do it to you? I believe that the answer is rather obvious.

The most likely reason that someone will "critique" a shot here in the forums is because they don't like it. The Morant's Curve shot and AB2's "fence" shot are two prime examples. JRMDC is doing it the right way on his blog by contacting the photographers first and getting their permission. Also, let's recognize that what we are doing is highly subjective. What looks great to one person, may very well look like garbage to someone else. It's all in the eye of the beholder.

RP.net Photos
Google Map Site
matth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 09:17 PM   #18
Andrew Blaszczyk (2)

Send a message via AIM to Andrew Blaszczyk (2) Send a message via Yahoo to Andrew Blaszczyk (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by matth
Here's a simple answer to the quandry about critiquing other people's shots without their permission: Would you like someone else to do it to you? I believe that the answer is rather obvious.

The most likely reason that someone will "critique" a shot here in the forums is because they don't like it. The Morant's Curve shot and AB2's "fence" shot are two prime examples.
::In best Scooby Doo voice:: Whaaaaaaaaaaat? I never had a problem with my photo being singled and picked apart, in fact I wrote Rich a personal thank you message for doing so. The thread had over 1400 hits the last I saw and 4 pages of somewhat useful information. I give everyone the opportunity to critique or criticize my work because I have already made it public so what are a few opinions going to hurt.

I guess there are always going to be two sides of the story:
1. Its on a public site in which you can leave comments.
2. If you don't have anything nice to say don't say anything at all.

I wish there was an option we can check off that says "I, :photographer name:, allow anyone to bring up my photos for positive or negative criticism in the forums.

I like the idea that if you can hack it, you can do it but I'll stick to allowing it and not doing it for now.

"My camera is an artistic medium, not a tool of terrorism."

www.ab2photography.com Coming soon!
My photos on RailPictures:
http://www.railpictures.net/showphotos.php?userid=960
Andrew Blaszczyk (2) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 09:47 PM   #19
Carl Becker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Blaszczyk (2)
I wish there was an option we can check off that says "I, hotographer name:, allow anyone to bring up my photos for positive or negative criticism in the forums.
There is the signature box!

[and I have no idea why it stuck the smiley in the word "photographer")
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	signature_critique.JPG
Views:	81
Size:	129.6 KB
ID:	2914  
Old 06-11-2008, 11:51 PM   #20
JRMDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by matth
Would you like someone else to do it to you? I believe that the answer is rather obvious.
Yes, if justified (and it probably is).

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 11:55 PM   #21
JimThias

On my monitor, I see nothing wrong with the picture in question. To me it looks like a good example of a cloudy day shot that should be accepted.
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 03:09 AM   #22
matth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Blaszczyk (2)
::In best Scooby Doo voice:: Whaaaaaaaaaaat? I never had a problem with my photo being singled and picked apart, in fact I wrote Rich a personal thank you message for doing so. The thread had over 1400 hits the last I saw and 4 pages of somewhat useful information. I give everyone the opportunity to critique or criticize my work because I have already made it public so what are a few opinions going to hurt.

I guess there are always going to be two sides of the story:
1. Its on a public site in which you can leave comments.
2. If you don't have anything nice to say don't say anything at all.

I wish there was an option we can check off that says "I, hotographer name:, allow anyone to bring up my photos for positive or negative criticism in the forums.

I like the idea that if you can hack it, you can do it but I'll stick to allowing it and not doing it for now.
Not everybody is a masochist!

I see your point Andrew, but in this particular case I really don't see what the "critique" achieves . There's no consensus that the photo is too saturated. If this was my photo, my attitude would be: "tough, I like it and it was accepted, so complain all you want I'm not changing anything".

I guess I better lay low for awhile before submitting any more Illinois & Midland shots.

RP.net Photos
Google Map Site
matth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 02:58 PM   #23
MichaelJ
The Photo Journalist

I think that if a photo is in the public database, then people are welcome to comment. Personally, I do not have a problem with people critiquing my photos. I have read some pretty ripe comments about them on other forums in the past!

The views expressed in this reply are personal and do not represent the views or policy of my employer.
MichaelJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 04:17 AM   #24
Ween

Quote:
I see your point Andrew, but in this particular case I really don't see what the "critique" achieves.
Exactly. The original post was to question the screening standards of the site...not to help improve the photographer or help anyone "learn." In a case like this, I'd think if you have a problem with a shot that was accepted, e-mail or PM the admin and let them know you're not impressed with a particular shot...
Old 06-13-2008, 11:18 AM   #25
milwman
I shoot what I like

Send a message via Yahoo to milwman

If we don't pick photo's apart what are we doing here. All the shots are open for critic , thats how we get better!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/22299476@N05/
milwman is offline   Reply With Quote