Old 04-28-2008, 06:57 AM   #26
Wonka001

Quote:
Originally posted by Joe the Photog:
Maybe this will be the next caption I load: "This is the caption under the photograph. The photograph is above the caption. The caption tells what you're looking at in the photograph. Which you would see if you were looking at the photograph and not reading this caption."
I'll watch for that one.

Here is a show of my work here on RPN

Another place to look at pictures if there is more to photography than railroading http://www.picpublisher.com/referral/William_Grow
Wonka001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 01:22 PM   #27
transit383

Here's a perfect example of a photo that could really benefit from a caption or something in the remarks section:

Image © Mike Bates
PhotoID: 233350
Photograph © Mike Bates

I'd like to know a little more about it.
Old 04-28-2008, 03:33 PM   #28
jdirelan87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ween
The direction of travel is not indicated in the data section, and that's one of the things I look for, especially if I'm visiting an area.
I thought that might be a point of contention among some. That statement was made with the assumption that the viewer had some knowledge about CSX, but its completely understandable that as a ND resident you have little knowledge about CSX operations.

Actually, the direction of travel is indicated by CSX's symbol system; evens are east, odds are west. If fact, for the few trains that do not follow this system (both on NS and CSX), ironically I normally put a remark about in the comments.
jdirelan87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 03:36 PM   #29
jdirelan87

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccaranna
But honestly, it seems the only person's time that's getting wasted is yours if you read into the comments as cliche and let them get to you. It's no skin off anyone else's, and apparently it wasn't a waste of time for the photographer that wrote them. Don't read them if they make you sour.
I wasn't trying to suggest that people who leave cliche comments make me bitter, infact I really don't mind at all. People can do whatever they want in their remark section and I could care less, I just choose not to do it myself if all the vital information is already inputed.
jdirelan87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 06:15 PM   #30
milwman
I shoot what I like

Send a message via Yahoo to milwman

I like to see a bit more about the shots from over seas, that i don't know much about. Other wise i don't care to much if they do or not.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/22299476@N05/
milwman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 06:29 PM   #31
milwman
I shoot what I like

Send a message via Yahoo to milwman

[quote=jdirelan87]

Actually, the direction of travel is indicated by CSX's symbol system; evens are east, odds are west.

It works out that way for all roads in the US , not just CSX guy's, that have a number other then the day in it. like CN's M 338 a East bound or a West bound M337 on the line West out of Chicago. Alfas codes, i wont get in to that.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/22299476@N05/
milwman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 10:48 AM   #32
MichaelJ
The Photo Journalist

A picture may paint a thousand words, but there's still nothing wrong with a bit of rationale. Why did you take this photo? Is there something special about the photo? A detailed remark adds value to a photo for many reasons; historical information, information about the local area or locomotive, etc.

Sometimes the purpose of a photo is blatently obvious and sometimes it is not. I think a brief remark should be mandatory.

The views expressed in this reply are personal and do not represent the views or policy of my employer.
MichaelJ is offline   Reply With Quote