Old 01-23-2008, 01:36 AM   #1
travsirocz

Send a message via AIM to travsirocz
Default My 10,000th shot

Here is my 10,000th shot with my Rebel XTi. Not all the shots were rail related but 3/4 of them were. Didn't get accept but still a milestone for me.
http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...&key=873895118
travsirocz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 01:44 AM   #2
JRMDC

Yay!

Not too long ago the counter on my 20D rolled over. But I bought it with 4000 clicks already, so I've taken over 6000, plus some number (10k, a guess) on my previous dRebel. Plus my A80.

Plus my Elan IIe, plus my Olympus IS-10, plus my Pentax MX, ... . Of course, not quite so many shots in the film days.

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 02:24 AM   #3
ottergoose
American Gunzel

Send a message via AIM to ottergoose Send a message via Yahoo to ottergoose

Quote:
Originally Posted by travsirocz
That's a neat little switcher. I don't have any shots of it in the DB... yet. I've only managed to watch trains at Pig's Eye twice, and it was cloudy both times.
Old 01-23-2008, 12:19 PM   #4
JimThias

I wish the Canon's kept going after hitting 9999. I have to put a 1 in front of all the files I process. Not a hassle by any means, but it sure would have been nice if the would have allowed the counter to have at least 5 digits. 6 digits is pretty unrealistic for me, but I would think 5 is pretty common for most photographers.
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 01:50 PM   #5
JRMDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimThias
I wish the Canon's kept going after hitting 9999. I have to put a 1 in front of all the files I process. Not a hassle by any means, but it sure would have been nice if the would have allowed the counter to have at least 5 digits. 6 digits is pretty unrealistic for me, but I would think 5 is pretty common for most photographers.
Why? Do you leave your pix with the original filename and track their contents some other way? Do you leave them all in the same folder? What is the value of a 5th digit?

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
Old 01-23-2008, 02:25 PM   #6
travsirocz

I myself leave the original filename untill I process them. Also, I would like to see the higher count because it may cause a problem if both images with the same name come in contact with each other but that would be very rare if it did since they are in seperate folders by date. But, 6 digits would fix that or al least help alot. It is also neat to see how many pics you have taken. I sort them when I have time in adobe bridge.
Old 01-23-2008, 02:30 PM   #7
travsirocz

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottergoose
That's a neat little switcher. I don't have any shots of it in the DB... yet. I've only managed to watch trains at Pig's Eye twice, and it was cloudy both times.
I've been to Pigs Eye many times and that was the first time I have ever had a chance to get a shot of it. It is usually behind a fence or back in the auto yard. Even on this day I only had a 10 second window before it went and hid.
Old 01-23-2008, 03:39 PM   #8
ottergoose
American Gunzel

Send a message via AIM to ottergoose Send a message via Yahoo to ottergoose

Quote:
Originally Posted by travsirocz
I've been to Pigs Eye many times and that was the first time I have ever had a chance to get a shot of it. It is usually behind a fence or back in the auto yard. Even on this day I only had a 10 second window before it went and hid.
I must have strange luck then - I saw and shot it both times I was there (batting 1000), but it was cloudy, so a moot point!
Old 01-23-2008, 04:15 PM   #9
Ween

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRMDC
Why? Do you leave your pix with the original filename and track their contents some other way? Do you leave them all in the same folder? What is the value of a 5th digit?
I wondered what would happen after IMG_9999...kinda sucks it goes to IMG_0001. I leave my shots with the original name, so this is gonna be an issue perhaps...
Old 01-24-2008, 12:25 AM   #10
JimThias

Quote:
The picture number is part of the file number when I process and save files. That allows me to indentify the photo quicker, like when it was taken and what folder it's in.

Are you saying you prefer to have two (or three or four if you shoot into the 20K and 30K range) files of every number between 0001-9999's? The numbers should keep counting up at 10K and beyond.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ween
I wondered what would happen after IMG_9999...kinda sucks it goes to IMG_0001. I leave my shots with the original name, so this is gonna be an issue perhaps...

Looks like you and I are on the same page.
Old 01-24-2008, 12:30 AM   #11
hoydie17
We Own The Night...

Send a message via AIM to hoydie17 Send a message via Yahoo to hoydie17

Quote:
The picture number is part of the file number when I process and save files. That allows me to indentify the photo quicker, like when it was taken and what folder it's in.

Are you saying you prefer to have two (or three or four if you shoot into the 20K and 30K range) files of every number between 0001-9999's? The numbers should keep counting up at 10K and beyond.

Looks like you and I are on the same page.

Put your originals in folders sorted by date, solves all your problems.

Or if you want to see my work here at RP.net? Click here.

"It's just a damn train son!"
hoydie17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 12:37 AM   #12
JimThias

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoydie17
Put your originals in folders sorted by date, solves all your problems.
I already do. But the files MUST be numbered correctly for me. I'm just anal like that.
Old 01-24-2008, 12:42 AM   #13
JRMDC

Quote:

I rename every original file I keep; the filename includes date, location, RR, and train number if available. Occasionally I will add a bit more if useful, such as "helper" to denote pushing units on the back. Thus, I don't use the counter.

I don't understand how having the counter in the name allows you to "identify the photo quicker" but perhaps you just have a mind that matches up images with arbitrary numbers instead of other info. Perhaps your recollections are of the type "boy, that was a great day at Pig's Eye, shooting the 4247-4311 shots, I'll never forget that day."

Seriously, different strokes for different folks. I don't understand yours, but who cares.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
Old 01-24-2008, 12:59 AM   #14
JimThias

Quote:
I don't understand how having the counter in the name allows you to "identify the photo quicker" but perhaps you just have a mind that matches up images with arbitrary numbers instead of other info. Perhaps your recollections are of the type "boy, that was a great day at Pig's Eye, shooting the 4247-4311 shots, I'll never forget that day."

Seriously, different strokes for different folks. I don't understand yours, but who cares.
Quicker/more convenient as in where to look for the file in the proper folder. It's just another way to indentify the shot to have all the bases covered for future searching. Here's the file name of the "dog shot" from the other day: NS6745-15396.jpg
It's just a natural way for me to keep my file titles in order, and I've done it that way from the start. It just made sense to me to keep the number, and on quite a few occasions I've used that number to locate a picture in my files many months later.

Like I said, I'm anal when it comes to this stuff. The more information to identify a photo and its location, the better. And the photo # as it came off the camera is a useful tool. I just wish I didn't have to put a 1 in front of each picture I process. Soon it'll be a 2...and then a 3.....

Last edited by JimThias; 01-24-2008 at 01:02 AM.
Old 01-24-2008, 01:46 AM   #15
JRMDC

Quote:
Here's the file name of the "dog shot" from the other day: NS6745-15396.jpg
Ten years from now, how does knowing the locomotive and some 5-digit number help you?

As opposed to, say, , how I would have named the file (making up the info, the reject is now gone): NS.PontiacMI011808.cr2, or maybe NS(CSX).CarYardPontiacMI011808Q322.cr2 if I needed to record that the NS unit was on CSX rails, passing through a particular place in Pontiac, pulling a particular train.

Aside: I don't like the notion of relying on folders to in part identify pictures. Pictures move around.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
Old 01-24-2008, 03:32 AM   #16
Joe the Photog

Quote:
Ten years from now, how does knowing the locomotive and some 5-digit number help you?
Me, personally, keeping the file number in the picture helps me keep all of the varying sizes and crops together. I've mentioned this elsewhere, but basically the file gets renamed to railroad of the lead engine, the file number followed by xti and then the file size.

For example, a shot of a CSX-led train would be csxt1298xti1024 if it were sized to 1024 pixels wide. The original process would be csxt1298xti2638, which roughly is the size dimensions vertically and horizontally. Some of it came about randonmly. When I had my 300D, that same shot would be csxt1298x1024. The X came about basically because it's on a good spot on the keyboard. With the new camera, the xti seemed obvious.

Recrops or reprocessed images get v2 -- the number corresponding to the version it is -- at the end and black and white versions get bw. This works for me because it allows me to keep the original image unaltered in any way -- remember that Trains wants unaltered RAW files just as they come out of the camera, though not my camera, apparently -- and also allows me to find which image goes with image.

With this system, it's possible that I could come across a situation where a file would be named the same thing, but I didn't have that happen when the 300D rolled over.

Joe
Old 01-24-2008, 02:03 PM   #17
JRMDC

Yes, I do something like that also. The regular filename is my basic crop, no compression. Adding a ".s" to the filename means small, compressed, for attachment to emails. If I am not resizing for the web, then I will give it something indicating the print size, like ".46" or ".57" and if I am doing multiple crops or multiple processings (different sharpening or whatever) then I will just add a "b" or "c" or whatever.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
Old 01-24-2008, 03:50 PM   #18
jdirelan87

Rather than waste time renaming each picture, I just leave the camera given file name and use Bridge keywords to group everything together. The picture files themselves are kept in files based by shooting dates/location. This way I can browse with Bridge or search the individual files if I'm looking for a particular shot.

BTW... 11,605 shots for me
jdirelan87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 03:55 PM   #19
JRMDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdirelan87
Rather than waste time renaming each picture, I just leave the camera given file name and use Bridge keywords to group everything together.
Yeah, I understand. I just fear that, 10 or 30 years out, I will be using different software, so I want the file name to have the info.

The file renaming takes time, but what KILLS me is to have to delete down to a reasonable number. On trains to a significant extent, but it gets really bad when I blow through 50 shots of my children that are essentially similar.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
Old 01-25-2008, 12:44 AM   #20
JimThias

Quote:
Who knows, but at least I'll know what picture number it was.
Old 01-25-2008, 05:41 AM   #21
jdirelan87

Quote:
The file renaming takes time, but what KILLS me is to have to delete down to a reasonable number.
Ya, same here. Even though I certainly have the space for it, I see no reason in having 10 shots of the same train with minuet differences between them. I guess that mentality is a hold over from slides day were the moto was 'one shot, one kill.' Despite this, it doesn't stop me from rifling off 8 shots when the KCS unit came by a few days ago
jdirelan87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 05:22 PM   #22
trainboysd40

Send a message via MSN to trainboysd40

Only 8? Last time I saw one, I was using SLIDE film, and I rattled off 5!
Obligatory link to shots on RP, HERE
trainboysd40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 06:25 AM   #23
Wonka001

Here is why we do it.. keep them all that is, if you open up your windows browser to your file with all your train photos, put it in slide show mode, give the computer time to pull up all the thumbnails (1-10000) or however many you have, then scroll through them (I use the right arrow button).. and watch your trains roll by..
very fun if your bored and stuck indoors behind the computer trying to relax your brain from too much homework. you can even put it to music.. it's like stop motion but easier to run, but harder to share with the world..

Here is a show of my work here on RPN

Another place to look at pictures if there is more to photography than railroading http://www.picpublisher.com/referral/William_Grow
Wonka001 is offline   Reply With Quote