Old 09-20-2011, 09:54 PM   #1
NathBDP

Default Small Exhibition in NYC

For those in the area I'm hanging eight large format prints at Ten43 Gallery, 1043 Madison Avenue (at 79th Street). Gallery hours are Tuesday - Saturday 10-6.

On display until October 22.

Most of the work is from my Railroad Landscapes project -- essentially my quest to create railroad photography that abandons the train as a major visual element.

cheers
NathBDP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 12:48 AM   #2
JRMDC

Nice John, good luck. A little too far to cruise up and have a look, alas.

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 01:50 AM   #3
Hatchetman
Part-Time Railfan

jeez, i'd like to get a better look at that picture, but I can't make it to NYC. is there a website or something?
Hatchetman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 01:51 AM   #4
Dennis A. Livesey

Thumbs up

Jim

Since I live a few blocks away, I will certainly stop by after work tomorrow.

You Spuyten Duyvil image looks outstanding; I can't wait to see the rest!

I Foam Therefore I Am.

My pix on RailPics:

I am on Flickr as well:

"Dennis is such a God, he could do that with a camera obscura and some homemade acetate." Holloran Grade

"To me it looks drawn in in Paintshop. It looks like a puddle of orange on the sky." SFO777
Dennis A. Livesey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 02:08 AM   #5
Holloran Grade
Banned

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by NathBDP View Post
...... essentially my quest to create railroad photography that abandons the train as a major visual element.....
What a novel idea.

You don't see a lot of that here.
Holloran Grade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 08:47 PM   #6
Hatchetman
Part-Time Railfan

http://john-sanderson.com/
Old 09-22-2011, 02:21 AM   #7
skyliner

Default NYC exhibition

Outstanding photo! Thanks for letting us know about the exhibition--wish that it had been last week when I was in Midtown Manhattan.
George
skyliner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 09:40 PM   #8
NathBDP

Hey, thanks!

Yeah that's my site, here's a larger version of the cover photo

I was shooting in the vicinity with my 4x5 and someone mentioned the fact that the full moon would be extremely bright that night, I somewhat disregarded it but after starting for home I realized it would probably behoove me to check out this location again to see if the moon would be a pleasing position for the photo. I had been to this spot probably 5 times previously with little success. I've never seen the moon that bright and apparently it was the closest it's been to the earth in several years -- its luminosity alone helped bring out quite a bit of shadow detail in the foreground despite being on the other side of the rocks.
Old 09-22-2011, 11:22 PM   #9
Hatchetman
Part-Time Railfan

the image quality is absolutely amazing. the array of colors looks like you used colored filters/gels at different times...like multiple exposures. it looks like christmas lights. very cool. i am very jealous of your ability to shoot a 4x5. the whole thing is so itimidating, I wouldn't even know where to start.

is that Ektar film?
Old 09-23-2011, 04:46 AM   #10
NathBDP

Hatchet --

Yeah it is indeed Ektar. That film is crazy I don't even touch Portra for landscapes anymore.

I stopped using filters, especially at night. The larger film size really captures the slight differences of color and especially the transition areas between them. This is really obvious on the tracks where the moon light and train's lights are in contrast.

I would give 4x5 a whirl if I were you. Stuff's pretty cheap on the used market these days and it holds its resale value.
Old 09-25-2011, 01:58 AM   #11
Dennis A. Livesey

Cool

I went over to Ten43Gallery today to see John's work.

Ten43Gallery is everything you would expect an art gallery on Madison Avenue would look like; white walls, oak floors, track lighting in a spare, elegant space.

Upstairs in the front were John's works; black framed prints as as large as 20 x30"." The Hudson river is his muse. Most had the river somewhere in frame. Not one train itself to be seen. In this kind of work, the train is not in frame but always felt.

The works were, as I remember,

1. A frozen Hudson River sunset, near Peekskill I would surmise.
2. Side track, tank and platforms of Buffalo's NYC Station. (This shot is available on-line.)
3. Spuyten Duyvil tower in a sweet light winter sunset.
4. "Buffalo 2009" This was was my favorite and it is evidently the gallery's favorite for is was the largest print and in the best place. In full low sun, about eight modest frame homes have as a background, a HUGE black factory building, with grey roof with a crowning touch of about 12 cylindrical ventilators agains a blue sky with white clouds.
5. A toned monochrome for Iona Island of a tree in snow.
6. "Northern Boulevard" a dusk shot of a concrete roadway with light streaks and a concrete plant (?) on the right. In the far distance in the top of Empire State.
7. Newburgh, looking east across the track to a rusty gasoline pier.
8. And the last I remember, the night Spuyten Duyvil that we have seen.

All of the prints were beautifully done, and sharp with delicate tones. I believe these were all 4x5" film. I would say it shows.

All were fine art print quality works and were in the prefect gallery to showcase them.

John is a skilled photographer at the top of his game. I enjoyed all of the prints. I would say my favorites were the two Spuyten Duyvil shots, the frozen Hudson and "Buffalo 2009."

Do go if you can. Seeing beautiful large prints in person will always beat seeing them on a computer screen.

I Foam Therefore I Am.

My pix on RailPics:

I am on Flickr as well:

"Dennis is such a God, he could do that with a camera obscura and some homemade acetate." Holloran Grade

"To me it looks drawn in in Paintshop. It looks like a puddle of orange on the sky." SFO777
Dennis A. Livesey is offline   Reply With Quote