Old 02-18-2010, 05:15 AM   #1
CSXRailfanNS

Default Curious question.

Would anyone by chance have a list off ALL the rejections they cam get you for? I would like to have something like that not only to try for better train shots but in my photography in general. If anyone has one please tell me where I can find it.
CSXRailfanNS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 10:14 AM   #2
milwman
I shoot what I like

Send a message via Yahoo to milwman

Some where there is a screen shot on here, Someone will post the link, And they did.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/22299476@N05/

Last edited by milwman; 02-18-2010 at 11:15 AM.
milwman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 10:35 AM   #3
sd9

Quote:
Originally Posted by milwman View Post
Some where there is a screen shot on here, some one will post the link.
I'll be that someone
http://forums.railpictures.net/attac...2&d=1180979074
sd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 11:07 AM   #4
Joe the Photog

I never save that when it comes up for discussion. It looks like a screener could very easily click the reject button (box, circle, whatever you want to call it) without clicking on a rejection reason. I wonder, though, if they could actually pick a reason, then accidentally hit "accept" and have that shot in the database.

42 rejections though.
Old 02-18-2010, 11:16 AM   #5
milwman
I shoot what I like

Quote:
Originally Posted by sd9 View Post
Yep needed more coffee this AM.

Old 02-18-2010, 11:55 AM   #6
troy12n
Banned

Hmm, wonder what "motive" is for
troy12n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 12:48 PM   #7
milwman
I shoot what I like

Quote:
Originally Posted by troy12n View Post
Hmm, wonder what "motive" is for
It's Bad Motive as in your plan for a shot didn't work. More or less.

Old 02-18-2010, 04:26 PM   #8
Joe the Photog

That page is a little dated as PEQ replaced Bad Motive.
Old 02-18-2010, 07:08 PM   #9
hioo1

has anyone ever been rejected for all of them?

P.s. and yes i do realize that it would be impossible unless the screener had too much to drink that night

Photo website

Trains Gallery

My shots on Railpictures.net
hioo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 07:37 PM   #10
Joe the Photog

Quote:
Originally Posted by hioo1 View Post
has anyone ever been rejected for all of them?
I bet there have been a few pictures that could have been rejected for most of them.
Old 02-18-2010, 07:56 PM   #11
travsirocz

Send a message via AIM to travsirocz

I had a photo with like 8 reasons. I thought it was funny atleast.
travsirocz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 09:28 PM   #12
troy12n
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by travsirocz View Post
I had a photo with like 8 reasons. I thought it was funny atleast.
You know, you laugh, but if they took the time to do that, it would cut down on the numbers of pictures they screen, rather than reject the same pic multiple times, they seem to put 1 rejection or 2, then reject something else, when sometimes it could be fixed in one edit if the person knew all the reasons. Or if they had a "this sucks, dont resubmit" rejection.
Old 02-18-2010, 09:47 PM   #13
cblaz

Quote:
You know, you laugh, but if they took the time to do that, it would cut down on the numbers of pictures they screen, rather than reject the same pic multiple times, they seem to put 1 rejection or 2, then reject something else, when sometimes it could be fixed in one edit if the person knew all the reasons.
Let's say you're a screener. You open up the queue after a long day at work to find 200 photos there for you to screen. When the screener's window loads the first picture, you can see that the locomotive is too close to the edge of the frame just by looking at the thumbnail. Are you going to open the thumbnail and inspect the rest of the shot, or are you going to check "bad cropping" and move on to the other 199 shots?

Quote:
Or if they had a "this sucks, dont resubmit" rejection.
They do, it's called the PEQ rejection.

- Chris
Old 02-18-2010, 09:55 PM   #14
Diamond D

Quote:
Originally Posted by cblaz View Post

- Chris
Of course, my most recent PCA took a PEQ knock its first time through, so some of us don't take the hint

But maybe some combination of Poor Image Quality, PEQ, Bad Cropping, and Poor Lighting should trigger some sort of "SERIOUSLY - don't bother" message
Diamond D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 12:03 AM   #15
troy12n
Banned

Quote:
Let's say you're a screener. You open up the queue after a long day at work to find 200 photos there for you to screen. When the screener's window loads the first picture, you can see that the locomotive is too close to the edge of the frame just by looking at the thumbnail. Are you going to open the thumbnail and inspect the rest of the shot, or are you going to check "bad cropping" and move on to the other 199 shots?
I would hope the screeners at least view every full size image, maybe I am just being naive.

Like I said, if they took a second or 2 more for a thorough rejection, that same photo may not show up 7 additional times for rejects the submitter did not know about. Look at it from this point, if the picture is OOF, soft, has lens flare, etc, the screener isnt going to know by looking at a thumbnail, and it's definetly going to show back up again and get rejected. This is going to add more work for the screeners, and frustration for the submitter. By spending a few seconds more on the front end, they are saving themselves some work on the back end.

Just an idea...
Old 02-19-2010, 12:41 AM   #16
travsirocz

One rejection is enough. Why?

1. Once you get the hang of photography, you will be able to nit pick your own images and see the problems. Usually.
2. Fixing one rejection reason will usually cause another issue or fix another issue.
3. 2 seconds more per image could add up to over 20 extra minutes a day to screening.
Old 02-19-2010, 12:59 AM   #17
coborn35

Agreed. By now I can see most obvious things wrong with my image.
I personally have had a problem with those trying to tell us to turn railroad photography into an "art form." It's fine for them to do so, I welcome it in fact, but what I do have a problem with is that the practitioners of the more "arty" shots, I have found, tend to look down their nose's at others who are shooting more "mundane" shots.
Railroad photography is what you make of it, but one way is not "better" than another, IMHO. Unless you have a pole right thought the nose of the engine! -SG
coborn35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 04:29 AM   #18
CSXRailfanNS

Default Wow!

Hey thanks for that pic! I already have it saved to my iPod for while I'm out! I completely forgot to check this and at first post there was nothing for 15 minutes so I just went to bed haha. I get back on and 16!! Thanks guys! And I agree with the idea that they should do it all at one time. I've tried submiting before and got bad color or saturation one of the two and I fixed that and I got peq next. It's like why don't you just hit me with peq so I can stop gettingy hopes up with this shot lol.
CSXRailfanNS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 01:50 PM   #19
travsirocz

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSXRailfanNS View Post
And I agree with the idea that they should do it all at one time. I've tried submiting before and got bad color or saturation one of the two and I fixed that and I got peq next. It's like why don't you just hit me with peq so I can stop gettingy hopes up with this shot lol.
One rejection is enough. Why?

1. Once you get the hang of photography, you will be able to nit pick your own images and see the problems. Usually.
2. Fixing one rejection reason will usually cause another issue or fix another issue.
3. 2 seconds more per image could add up to over 20 extra minutes a day to screening.
Old 02-19-2010, 01:54 PM   #20
Ron Flanary

Quote:

- Chris
I'll admit that I've watched one of the screeners go through this process. As soon as you pull up a shot, it makes a positive impact on you----or it might warrant a closer look for some reason----or it really sucks canal water! You would be amazed at how awful some uploaded shots are. I've seen images that were so atrocious that my neighbor's dog could have done better (and now that I think of it, that's an insult to the dog).

So, a decision is made---rather quickly, if you've got (as you noted) a back log of 200 shots to deal with---and you find a reason to click if it's rejected. Sure, you could find many cases where you could click on a number of reasons for rejection.

That said, it still amazes me that acceptance/rejection or whatever is seen as "important" to most people. I had three shots rejected yesterday (old 1964 photos of a Shay that was still in freight service) because of back lighting. While I thought they were acceptable, the screener did not. It wasn't as if I could go back in time 46 years and take those photos again, so I didn't even bother appealing. If you have to beg (or threaten), what's the point? If those shots were posted, or not posted, it made no difference in the quality of my life.

I also uploaded a few shots earlier this week of a CSX train in the snow (at a few different locations). Two of the shots were rejected....I appealed (and stated my reasons in a civil and logical manner)....and they were accepted. In the meantime, I had "corrected" those shots and reposted, resulting in a momentary double posting of shots (I called this to their attention, and two of the shots were deleted).

One shot was "unlevel." I noted that the screener had obviously looked at some handrail stanchions on the bridge that were crooked (in the foreground of the shot), and not the train itself. Sure enough....I was right.

The other was a dreaded PEQ rejection. My appeal took into consideration framing of the shot, and some other subtle aspects of photography. Either you liked it....or you didn't like it...and this particular screener didn't seem to care for it. However, it was accepted after appeal----and it's done quite well in screen views (and comments) since then. One man's trash is another man's treasure. And again, had these two shots not be accepted---I would have moved on to something more important in my life. These things should not matter that much.

If I were an RP.net screener (and I'm not....nor do I wish to be!), I would likely reject an even higher percentage of shots. But, there's a point of diminishing returns in maintaining such a high bar. Frustration among contributors would escalate to some fever pitch, resulting in even more personal attacks on people, and ultimately---as a business (because RP.net IS a business, folks)---RP.net would start a slow downward spiral in lost screen views, and hence revenue. Fact: even those rather odd troll-like people who seem to thrive on bashing RP.net only contribute to their bottom line every time they view the site, or any of the images. "Ka-ching!"

RP.net merely maintains a base level of adequacy for acceptance of images. And, it's not a really high bar at all----just a decent image of a train following the accepted standards we should all know (or learn).
Ron Flanary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 01:12 AM   #21
newmarket111

Well put. The maintenance of a level of quality is important, I don't know if anyones' noticed but there's a huge amount of unfiltered crap on the internet. As with all arts, photography is no different, it's subjective, it's a judged sport, and you're not going to make everyone happy. Some people will think they should have made it no matter what the screeners comments are; I say this as someone who only has rejections! But, hey it's a hobby, I get personal enjoyment out of it and that's all that matters, don't loose sight of that. I have more important things in life like family, work, my model railroad