Old 04-14-2020, 10:18 PM   #26
John Russell - NZ

[quote=baggydave;196373]A question for all you good people out there. I am old and my eyes are going, gonna need a cataract operation sometime, is this blurry?
https://www.railpictures.net/viewrej...46&key=2218999

I've had photo rejection with this reason taken at 1/250 of stationary train in good light. A fairly distant street name sign wasn't sharp and it took a bit of looking to even notice it. The photo screener likely had better eyes than me. I suspect same AF issue might be responsible for this rejection if shutter speed was more than sufficient. I really had problems with 60D with the AF. It wasn't just the camera either as I had this with 5DS I use now and each case is probably just twitchy finger after vigorous vegetation management, more often just resulting in a premature shot but very occasionally sharp focus is not reached such as this one taken at 1/640 f 7.1 (and note road signs obviously out of focus.)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DFB 7023 leads 7049 on train 126 near Topuni.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	329.6 KB
ID:	9792  
John Russell - NZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2020, 09:05 AM   #27
baggydave

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobJor View Post
Was this your original try? What happens to me I start out with something I think is OK, maybe not great, then correct this, correct that and then it just gets worse and I give up or get a final reject.

Here is one I chose because not too common, the Iselin shops Glass house at Jackson, TN on the GM & O, gave up. then the next one bombed, I have others maybe better but I lost interest fo now. I like for the reject que to empty but now need to wait 31 days????

https://www.railpictures.net/viewrej...58&key=4164198

Bob
This was third attempt, very astute to spot that. First time blurry, second time soft, third time blurry again. Read the comment by Lloyd and threw away the picture and began again. Rejected for grain. I do find as you travel down the path of changing things the image gets worse. Might remove grain and get hit with too much grain removal Reason why I don't submit that often these days ,even though I have time on my hands, a lot of hassle.
baggydave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2020, 07:42 AM   #28
John Russell - NZ

Default Another "dark" nose - how terrible!!!

https://www.railpictures.net/viewrej...55&key=3968256

No bolt or rivet can be missed in the count. A steam train is not likely to run along that line ever again, being 20-30 years since the previous steam trip.

[QUOTEI like for the reject que to empty but now need to wait 31 days????

Bob[/quote]

Yes it's 31 days now and you can blame me for that. Why do you need to wait for the reject queue to empty? By the way the notification still says 7 days but I have one retained nearly 14 days.

Last edited by John Russell - NZ; 04-18-2020 at 07:49 AM. Reason: Addition
Old 04-22-2020, 06:06 PM   #29
JimThias

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Russell - NZ View Post

No bolt or rivet can be missed in the count. A steam train is not likely to run along that line ever again, being 20-30 years since the previous steam trip.
And this is why a lot of people don't post to RP any more. There is nothing wrong with the lighting in that photo. Stick to Flickr.

This pretty much sums it up: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Thias
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2020, 06:13 PM   #30
bigbassloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimThias View Post
And this is why a lot of people don't post to RP any more. There is nothing wrong with the lighting in that photo. Stick to Flickr.
Aside from the tops of the passenger cars being blown out?

Loyd L.

My personal photography site
bigbassloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2020, 06:30 PM   #31
JimThias

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbassloyd View Post
Aside from the tops of the passenger cars being blown out?

Loyd L.
Easy fix, and perhaps that should have been the rejection. But he got the submission killer rejection, which is just silly. Who gives a damn any more if a train is photographed on a cloudy day. Should shots like these be rejected because there will NEVER be a chance for sun on the nose or visible side of the locos?

This pretty much sums it up: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Thias
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2020, 07:41 PM   #32
RobJor

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Russell - NZ View Post

[QUOTEI like for the reject que to empty but now need to wait 31 days????

Bob
Yes it's 31 days now and you can blame me for that. Why do you need to wait for the reject queue to empty? By the way the notification still says 7 days but I have one retained nearly 14 days.[/quote]
==================

Just a little psych habit. Not sure what the guides screeners but somehow I think nothing in the reject queue is better than a lot. This was the fourth rejection for what I realized was not the best quality photo but one providing some coverage of an interesting GM&O shop not too often seen and of course well received by the less discerning fans. The next try at this shop failed and think these rejects did not help and I have others but not inclined to try now. Also, It annoys the heck out of me that I got a runaround on a 45 year old slide, just reject the darn thing: just wish it would go away.

Bob

https://www.railpictures.net/viewrej...58&key=4164198
RobJor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2020, 06:02 PM   #33
Joseph Cermak

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimThias View Post
Easy fix, and perhaps that should have been the rejection. But he got the submission killer rejection, which is just silly. Who gives a damn any more if a train is photographed on a cloudy day. Should shots like these be rejected because there will NEVER be a chance for sun on the nose or visible side of the locos?
I've really never had any issue with cloudy photos, and always found that to be the most ridiculous rejection reason, especially with how randomly it seems to be applied. There's certainly good and bad photos taken in cloudy weather, but cloudy on it's own shouldn't be the killer in my opinion.
Joseph Cermak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2020, 07:34 PM   #34
miningcamper1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Cermak View Post
I've really never had any issue with cloudy photos, and always found that to be the most ridiculous rejection reason, especially with how randomly it seems to be applied. There's certainly good and bad photos taken in cloudy weather, but cloudy on it's own shouldn't be the killer in my opinion.
If a screener simply doesn't find a photo appealing, he needs a "reason" to reject it. So "cloudy" or "insufficient light on nose" or "backlit" come in handy for them!

RP Photos: www.railpictures.net/miningcamper1/
miningcamper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2020, 09:05 PM   #35
John Russell - NZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by miningcamper1 View Post
If a screener simply doesn't find a photo appealing, he needs a "reason" to reject it. So "cloudy" or "insufficient light on nose" or "backlit" come in handy for them!
Yep. Add to that the old favorite - composition being somehow "awkward." Not always a killer rejection but easily used to harshly screen almost any photo that doesn't fit what RP owners want. If none can be applied there's still the rejection for "too many photos of a similar type" or something like that which I got once on about third shot of a special train. I try to maintain some variety as I have found, per Kevin's advice recently, that variety is second only to quality here.