Old 07-17-2008, 07:43 PM   #1
Paulinbna

Default Four More For you Guys To Look at

http://www.paulrobbins.net/Trains3/

http://www.paulrobbins.net/Train2/

Is this more what the site is looking for, in case people missed it last time I am trying to get some rail pictures accepted after having 2000 pictures on jp.net.

thanks in advance.
Paulinbna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 05:00 AM   #2
JRMDC

caboose: looks ok, lots of empty foreground, I would crop at the bottom, maybe the sides a bit. Next time I definitely angle up a bit.

engine in shed: it looks exposed ok, but I'm just not a big fan of the angle or the composition. It's tough, with the posts one doesn't have much leeway to move around. But it just seems like a poorly-angled roster shot. It's like a tease of sorts, it's steam, there is lots of interesting running gear, but we can't see it. And the blown out sky (necessarily so) is offputting. I'm just not a fan.

wide yard shot: as was said before with your pictures, what is the point? What is the focus? The train is a natural focus point but you have thrown it way off to the side. You can lose the string of cars with the green boxcar and angle over more to the left. Most shots need some sort of a main point and this one does not have one.

tight yard shot: much better. RP is not a fan of cut-off trains, so the screener may say bad crop or something - they prefer you go wider and get all of the trailing train if you can. But it looks good to me, give it a go.

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 05:29 AM   #3
Paulinbna

The one in the shed was very hard to get a picture of that is the only angle I could get of it.

Thanks again
Old 07-18-2008, 12:59 PM   #4
River Rails Photography
Banned

Send a message via AIM to River Rails Photography

You will soon have to learn what to upload on your own...

It's a game of hit or miss.

Last edited by River Rails Photography; 07-18-2008 at 01:02 PM.
River Rails Photography is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 03:06 PM   #5
Joe the Photog

There's an Edgemoor & Manetta 0-4-0 sitting in Richburg, SC alongside the Lancaster and Chester Railway. Long time forum posters or viewers of my work know that I grew up in Lancaster and lived in the area most of my life. So I've seen this little engine sitting there since they put it there in the 90s. I'd love to get a shot of her on RP. She was one of the last running railroads with an all steam roster. (Mind you, this one engine *was* it's entire roster.)

But it's sitting under a shed like this one with posts on the side obstructing the view. It's allegedely being protected from the weather, but it's also being protected from good shots. And, yeah, I had shot it, but I know there's almost no way to get it on RP.

That's what River Rails meant, I think, when he said soon you will know what goes here and what doesn't.

With that said, I think the wide yard shot might *almost* be RP worthy with the main exception being the weather. The engine definitely needs more room on the left side of the frame though. It's way too close to the edge. Just keep shooting. The funnest part of this hobby should always be when you're out trackside shooting trains. The rest of is is just gravy on the mashed potatoes.

Joe
Old 07-18-2008, 05:19 PM   #6
NSFan14

Oh darn!, I was ready to see a hot chick in the picture!
Old 07-18-2008, 08:27 PM   #7
River Rails Photography
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by NSFan14
Oh darn!, I was ready to see a hot chick in the picture!

Who sets Chickens on fire?!

And, Joe captured what I meant. Nothing against your photos, but soon, you will learn yourself what to upload to rp, without the help of the forums members. Just like everything else in life, you will soon get the hang of it, and get better and better. Just keep trying, and become more independent over time!
Old 07-18-2008, 09:47 PM   #8
Paulinbna

Quote:
Originally Posted by River Rails Photography
You will soon have to learn what to upload on your own...

It's a game of hit or miss.
i thought the forum was here to post pictures instead of wasting the screeners time?

Last edited by Paulinbna; 07-18-2008 at 09:51 PM.
Old 07-18-2008, 09:52 PM   #9
River Rails Photography
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulinbna
i thought the forum was here to post pictures instead of wasting the screeners time????
Yes

BUT

What I meant is that you should start to develop an eye for what to upload and what not to upload, what to fix and how, etc.
Old 07-19-2008, 02:54 AM   #10
Paulinbna

I think I have a general idea now of what to look for while I am out.....thanks for all the help.