Old 07-06-2009, 11:17 PM   #1
lock4244
Senior Member
 
lock4244's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: The City Below Vaughan
Posts: 1,048
Default Cheyenne - Salt Lake Foaming Advice Sought

I am fortunate that at the end of this month I'll be spending a few days shooting UP between Cheyenne, WY., and Salt Lake City, UT. Can anyone offer advice on locations, train density and the like? This is one of those trips I've always wanted to do and I'd like to get some decent stuff. Sherman Hill and the Hermosa tunnels are priorities to be sure, but what else is there that is a must shoot (landmarks along the RofW and such)? How much luck will I have on the backroads with a car like a Malibu or Impala (rental, not getting an SUV, to rich for HER blood)?

Thanks.
__________________
Mike Lockwood

Insert witty comment here

Hot girl on girl action here!

More Pics Here
lock4244 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 02:51 AM   #2
Nscalemike
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Henderson, NV
Posts: 82
Send a message via AIM to Nscalemike
Default

Echo Canyon Utah, off of I-80...can't miss it..spectacular views all the way, several pull off areas, right next to the interstate...

No worries for "Her"... =)
Nscalemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 04:40 AM   #3
Ween
Senior Member
 
Ween's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 4,861
Default

It's a mortal sin if you're in Cheyenne and you don't shoot this:
Image © Chris Paulhamus
PhotoID: 288823
Photograph © Chris Paulhamus


I made the trip just to get that shot. I had to wait for 2+ hours for the four main lines between me and it to clear up (I think it was 8 trains total that blocked my view), so from my limited few hour experience, it was very busy right in downtown Cheyenne.
__________________
Ween is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 04:03 PM   #4
DME 6361
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 26
Default Green River Bridge at the Depot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nscalemike View Post
Echo Canyon Utah, off of I-80...can't miss it..spectacular views all the way, several pull off areas, right next to the interstate...

No worries for "Her"... =)
You can get on the pedestrian bridge that takes you over the quad 4 mainlines and find out what is in town then you can go west and take pictures of them trying to pull the hill out of Green River! I work out of pocatello to GR and a lot of times we have to wait to make sure the train ahead makes the hill cause if we try it while they get in trouble we will stall out on the hill also! A lot of grinding,large horsepower, with a lot of coal,grain and heavy manifest for the west coast!
DME 6361 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 11:46 PM   #5
lock4244
Senior Member
 
lock4244's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: The City Below Vaughan
Posts: 1,048
Default

Thanks guys. There is some food for thought here... Echo Canyon looks great via satellite and I'd love to get a shot of that D&RGW TM.

There is alot of ground between Cheyenne and Echo Canyon, though... anything of note out there? I'll be staying in Laramie, Rawlins, and Rock Springs as well, so there will be plenty of time to shoot along this part of the line. I intentionally gave myself too much time across Wyoming in order to avoid the "shoot and scoot" type of photography I've been forced to do on many of my trips.

DME, last summer my PNW trip included a trip to Boise along the Blue Mtns mainline and I was kinda disappointed by the very low volume... though I did get a few decent shots in the Grande Ronde valley. A few good shots are worth a hundred OK ones
__________________
Mike Lockwood

Insert witty comment here

Hot girl on girl action here!

More Pics Here
lock4244 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 02:18 PM   #6
BarrySr
Senior Member
 
BarrySr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Arlington, Tx.; home of the Texas Chokers
Posts: 225
Send a message via Yahoo to BarrySr
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lock4244 View Post
There is alot of ground between Cheyenne and Echo Canyon, though... anything of note out there? I'll be staying in Laramie, Rawlins, and Rock Springs as well, so there will be plenty of time to shoot along this part of the line. I intentionally gave myself too much time across Wyoming in order to avoid the "shoot and scoot" type of photography I've been forced to do on many of my trips.
Oh gosh, where to start. Let me think on this a bit....
__________________
BarrySr
KE5YYR


"I dug 'dem boats when diggin' em wasn't cool"


"Why are the crazy people so enamorate of all things EMD?" [Holloran Grade]

____________________

View My Photos on Railpictures.net
BarrySr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 04:18 AM   #7
Ween
Senior Member
 
Ween's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 4,861
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lock4244 View Post
I'd love to get a shot of that D&RGW TM.
It's like a drug:
Image © Chris Paulhamus
PhotoID: 289903
Photograph © Chris Paulhamus


[/drool]

__________________
Ween is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 11:16 AM   #8
racinchaice1986
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 25
Default

there are alot of good places to take shots around salt lake
racinchaice1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 05:30 PM   #9
J
Senior Member
 
J's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 532
Default

There have been some pretty impressive photographs taken at Dale, Wyoming. A famous photograph looking down on a GE turbine in the 1950's comes to mind with the train stretching back on a sweeping curve. Since that time additional trackwork may have damaged the view but you may want to look at a Google map to plan your visit to coincide wth good sun angles - there is a sweeping curve just to the north of the little town.
J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 05:34 PM   #10
ken45
LA&SL Fanatic
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Posts: 700
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lock4244 View Post
There is alot of ground between Cheyenne and Echo Canyon, though... anything of note out there? I'll be staying in Laramie, Rawlins, and Rock Springs as well, so there will be plenty of time to shoot along this part of the line. I intentionally gave myself too much time across Wyoming in order to avoid the "shoot and scoot" type of photography I've been forced to do on many of my trips.
The UP across Wyoming is one of those black holes where you just don't see a lot of photos come out of. In my experience, if you don't see a lot of photos from an area, especially along a busy mainline, then there's probably not a whole lot to see out there. However, with popular railfanning areas on each end of the line (Echo Canyon and Sherman Hill) it may be that this area is a hidden gem that is overlooked due to the proximity of more popular sites. The few photos I've seen have been OK, and it looks like access to many areas might be tough, especially in a car. Probably a lot of private land too.

If I were you, I wouldn't spend so much time (2-3 days you've got planned?) on this section of line. Spend a day along it and use the other day to hit another area of more interest, or even add another spot to the trip.
__________________
My Railpictures Shots http://www.railpictures.net/showphotos.php?userid=2561
ken45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 03:42 AM   #11
BarrySr
Senior Member
 
BarrySr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Arlington, Tx.; home of the Texas Chokers
Posts: 225
Send a message via Yahoo to BarrySr
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken45 View Post
...However, with popular railfanning areas on each end of the line (Echo Canyon and Sherman Hill) it may be that this area is a hidden gem that is overlooked due to the proximity of more popular sites. The few photos I've seen have been OK, and it looks like access to many areas might be tough, especially in a car. Probably a lot of private land too.

If I were you, I wouldn't spend so much time (2-3 days you've got planned?) on this section of line. Spend a day along it and use the other day to hit another area of more interest, or even add another spot to the trip.
Ohhhh, there's a lot of hidden little spots. I could write a novel on this line.

It might be even better if you gave me a call before you go, or even the day before you traverse this section. PM me right before you go and we'll hook up phone #s.
__________________
BarrySr
KE5YYR


"I dug 'dem boats when diggin' em wasn't cool"


"Why are the crazy people so enamorate of all things EMD?" [Holloran Grade]

____________________

View My Photos on Railpictures.net
BarrySr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 10:16 PM   #12
DME 6361
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 26
Default I would still get greenriver

Quote:
Originally Posted by lock4244 View Post
Thanks guys. There is some food for thought here... Echo Canyon looks great via satellite and I'd love to get a shot of that D&RGW TM.

There is alot of ground between Cheyenne and Echo Canyon, though... anything of note out there? I'll be staying in Laramie, Rawlins, and Rock Springs as well, so there will be plenty of time to shoot along this part of the line. I intentionally gave myself too much time across Wyoming in order to avoid the "shoot and scoot" type of photography I've been forced to do on many of my trips.

DME, last summer my PNW trip included a trip to Boise along the Blue Mtns mainline and I was kinda disappointed by the very low volume... though I did get a few decent shots in the Grande Ronde valley. A few good shots are worth a hundred OK ones
Green River has the largest active depot that I have ever worked out of and there is always a train out front of the depot to get a great shot from the bridge ready to pull the hill right next to the rock cliffs.
DME 6361 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 09:11 PM   #13
lock4244
Senior Member
 
lock4244's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: The City Below Vaughan
Posts: 1,048
Default

Keep an eye out for me, DM&E... I'll be the frothing foamer on the bridge shooting everything in sight! We fly to Denver on Wednesday, and arrive in Rock Springs (Hotel) on Monday, July 27, so I'll be on the bridge on that day or on the Tuesday.
__________________
Mike Lockwood

Insert witty comment here

Hot girl on girl action here!

More Pics Here
lock4244 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 06:07 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.