Old 01-10-2009, 09:05 PM   #1
bigiron

Default Should this be kept from the database?

Hello all,

Been a rather long time since I've uploaded any pictures due to other priorities but see the same struggles exist here . I just tried to have this picture added to the database seeing it has a couple of RR's involved and with the windy conditions the tree leaves have an interesting look to them also.

The picture was taken at 11 am and wonder what really makes it's a reject seeing there is good light on all sides facing the viewer? Does it warrant a second look?

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...&key=990169016

Thanks for any thoughts, Rich
bigiron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 09:28 PM   #2
J Douglas Moore

Hi Rich....... Nice composition, but at June 22 near Noon, the sun is almost overhead. The shadows from high sun leave the trucks in the dark. I do not see this one making the DB but is worthy of your personal collection.

"Thanks for looking"

It is a proven fact that birthdays are good for you. The people with the most always live longer!
J Douglas Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 12:35 AM   #3
sd9

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Douglas Moore
Hi Rich....... Nice composition, but at June 22 near Noon, the sun is almost overhead. The shadows from high sun leave the trucks in the dark. I do not see this one making the DB but is worthy of your personal collection.
I agree with the trucks in the dark, shadowed trucks will usually result in a high sun rejection, seems a little over sharpened also
sd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 12:55 AM   #4
John Ryan

Send a message via AIM to John Ryan

I see an image quality problem. Looks like some sharpening got ahold of the trees. Realistically, though, this is essential a wedge shot of a parked train. June and July are the worst months to take railroad pictures in the United States, as a lot of the light is flat and harsh. Much as I like the P&W, there are better shots of this in existence.
John Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 04:47 PM   #5
bigiron

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Ryan
I see an image quality problem. Looks like some sharpening got ahold of the trees.

John, for the record the leaves looking "silver" as in over sharpened was one of the things that made the shot more appealing to me as the wind was a strong southerly one inverting the leaves to actually look like that when I took the shot.

One last closing thought I had, do trucks that are not the primary focus of the picture but in view like my shot warrant "ideal light" versus a side shot of an engine's trucks that has obstructed views by shrubs and greenery that do make it to the database? Just trying to figure some of the logic that goes into some of these abstract shots that are outside the lines.

Rich
bigiron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 08:16 PM   #6
MTM9

I see it made it, Congrats!
MTM9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 10:03 PM   #7
nikos1

Glad it got in but i think you should really resubmit with less sharpening, the image looks very coarse, not nearly as good as the quality of your other images.

Wedge shots of blue HLCX SD60's http://www.railpictures.net/showphotos.php?userid=7861

More wedge shots of blue HLCX SD60's http://nikos1.rrpicturearchives.net/

Video wedge shots of blue HLCX SD60's
http://youtube.com/profile?user=nikosjk1
nikos1 is offline   Reply With Quote