Old 07-10-2011, 05:48 AM   #1
AC185

Default Rejection Help!

Hello All,

I am just wondering if there is any way this photo can be saved? Thanks in advance for the input.

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...&key=449351742
AC185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 01:58 PM   #2
KevinM

Hi Mark,

If RP's historic dislike for dark-sided, high-sun images of common diesel-electric locomotives continues...and I believe it does...I'm afraid you're going to have to re-shoot this location sometime before about 9:30 AM in the morning or after about 4:00 PM in the afternoon....give or take.

There are a couple of issues with this image. First, the sun angle (azimuth) is off to your right, so the light is only on the very nose of the train. Most of what we can see of it is in shadow. Also, your caption indicates that the image was taken just before 11:00 AM, which in July would also yield a rather high sun inclination or altitude. Looking at the shadow on the side of the cab, it looks like perhaps 50 degrees. That kind of sun angle does a poor job lighting the wheel areas, to which RP clearly pays a lot of attention. At that time of the day, the light is also rather harsh-looking. While I have seen a few exceptions, RP typically does not accept this type of shot and there is little that can be done in postprocessing to make it more appealing.

Best to give it another go either earlier in the day, or much later.

My RP stuff is here.

Link to my Flickr Albums. Lots of Steam Railroad stuff there from all over the US.
KevinM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 01:22 AM   #3
JimThias

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinM View Post
Also, your caption indicates that the image was taken just before 11:00 AM, which in July would also yield a rather high sun inclination or altitude.
I really doubt it was 11am (10:55 according to his caption). Look at the angle of the shadow on the grab bars on the nose of the loco. They are WAY too short for 11am on a July morning. Plus, the exif data lists the time of the photo as 9am which I believe is more accurate.

Certainly not high sun, but a poor photo angle in relation to the sun angle. If he had shot it head-on, it would have been a winner, as the lighting is great on the nose.

This pretty much sums it up: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Thias
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 03:45 AM   #4
AC185

Yes my apologies the photo was taken at 9:00a.m. The photo is looking west and the sun is directly behind me. Any tips that any of you can share.

Thanks
AC185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 01:36 PM   #5
Hatchetman
Part-Time Railfan

The sun can't be directly behind you. Look at the scrub tree directly above the loco.
Hatchetman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 09:47 PM   #6
JimThias

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatchetman View Post
The sun can't be directly behind you. Look at the scrub tree directly above the loco.
Maybe not directly, but certainly close enough judging by how "narrow" the shadow of the loco is below it (not to mention very little side shadowing from the grab bars on the nose).

Mark, the next time you've got the sun directly behind you, focus on shooting more directly at the nose of the loco. Or, find a location where the sun is at an angle to the tracks. Check out this link to find locations and times of the day when the sun angle is the best: http://suncalc.net

This pretty much sums it up: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Thias
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote