Old 10-03-2012, 05:09 AM   #1
DRGW3129

Default Processing Night shots.

I've had trouble getting my night shots onto the website. First of all, i'm worried I might be taking the pictures wrong haha. I've played around, but for more lights that cast the orange tinted light, I want to be using the "Tungsten" setting? Anyway, i keep getting bad color when attempting to upload here.

Any tips? Help! Thanks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3016 copy.jpg (965.6 KB, 432 views)
DRGW3129 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 07:50 PM   #2
KevinM

A couple of questions:
  • Are you shooting raw or JPEG? Raw has the advantage of allowing easy color temp/tint adjustments in during postprocessing.
  • How do you have the white balance set up on your camera when you are shooting?
  • Have you tried shooting a gray card to give yourself a reference? In post, you can check color temp/tint using the gray card shot, then adjust accordingly on the train shot.

If the screener is having an issue with the shot you attached, I think it is because the yellow doesn't look quite right for a UP Locomotive.

My RP stuff is here.

Link to my Flickr Albums. Lots of Steam Railroad stuff there from all over the US.
KevinM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 04:20 AM   #3
Mgoldman

Looks pretty good to me. If anything I'd see RP rejecting it because the engine is centered top to bottom. Colors look good - nice solid black sky and little color cast. Great detail on the trucks - what's not to like?

As for temperature adjustments - you likely have a temperature control on your camera - the auto one's may work or you can dig deeper, I would assume, and find actual Kelvin degrees from around 2200 up to maybe 7000. The higher the number, the warmer /orangier the image will be. You can make this adjustment in RAW and usually JPEG as well in your camera's software editing suit after the fact or even under "color balance" in most editing programs (add red, loose blue, ect).

If the yellow is off, you could adjust the saturation or in Photoshop, "replace color" and alter just the yellow.

/Mitch
Mgoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 08:08 AM   #4
Vegasrails

I agree with Mgoldman, it's a nice photo, I prefer nature light and long exposures if needed for night work. I do receive rejects to dark etc, but I prefer that then lighting a scene, it's more natural. Just my 2 cents

Tags
night photography canon