Old 09-23-2019, 10:17 PM   #1
dthor68

Default Moab/Crescent Junction Utah?

Going to Moab this week. I should get there Sunday evening and will be leaving Friday morning. I see there is one line going into Moab for a potash plant. From what I understand there is just 1 train a week and it is on Sunday. Lucky me, I will miss it.

Anyone know if there are any locos in wait on sidings or anything train wise that I could take advatage of in Moab area. If I did go up to Crescent Junction how busy is that mainline and any good areas to shoot from?

Thanks for any help.
dthor68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 05:15 AM   #2
RobJor

The Potash train may run on Friday again?? so depending when you leave, it is still a maybe.

Now I am only talking from general knowledge, if you google Cane Creek Branch or Potash local or Moab dirt train other things you may get real current info.

I believe this still runs???
There is also a dirt train. This is a train of contaminated soil from mining that is trucked to a loadout. The loadout is on the line to Moab but before it makes a turn away from the main highway to go toward the Potash Mine.

Just as general scenery and looking at parts of the line if you go to BLM across from Arches, hike to Corona Arch, trail head is on road to Intrepid mine and Arch has view of line, however dirt train does not run that far. If you are doing the scenery hiking thing Corona Arch is a nice hike.

Hope someone has more exact info.

E/B Amtrak is a good shot on the mainline in the AM. Not sure of traffic density but don't think it is high.

Bob Jordan

Last edited by RobJor; 09-24-2019 at 05:25 AM.
RobJor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 04:24 AM   #3
FloridaRailroading

Quote:
Originally Posted by dthor68 View Post
Going to Moab this week. I should get there Sunday evening and will be leaving Friday morning. I see there is one line going into Moab for a potash plant. From what I understand there is just 1 train a week and it is on Sunday. Lucky me, I will miss it.

Anyone know if there are any locos in wait on sidings or anything train wise that I could take advatage of in Moab area. If I did go up to Crescent Junction how busy is that mainline and any good areas to shoot from?

Thanks for any help.
I was in the area back in March and caught a local heading east around Thompson Springs on a Friday around 6:30 pm (I don't remember the exact time as I don't have the original file on my computer). UP had some engines parked around here:
https://www.google.com/maps/@38.9483...7i16384!8i8192
That's the Green River Subdivision between Grand Junction and Helper.

As for the line near Moab, that's the Cane Creek Sub. Last I heard, the Potash local runs once a week on Friday afternoon.
FloridaRailroading is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 11:31 AM   #4
RobJor

Thompson Springs is worth a look. Was RGZ stop and Amtrak until 94, semi ghost town. Old station was still there in 2016 as well as abandoned businesses. There was some artifacts that there was a facility for watering. Comfortable place to wait.

When Potash ran on Sunday, they would bring the dirt train power to Crescent Junction and leave it for the week. Possible??? they take it back with them on Friday now.

Bob

http://www.placesthatwere.com/2016/0...-town-and.html
RobJor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 11:58 AM   #5
MassArt Images

Matt Donnelly has some nice Amtrak shots he obtained in Floy, UT which is just east of Green River. The eastbound goes through around 7AM and the westbound around 5PM. Check with Amtrak Julie for more accurate times.

My RP pics are HERE

My website is HERE
MassArt Images is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 02:25 PM   #6
bigbassloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by MassArt Images View Post
Check with Amtrak Julie for more accurate times.
Julie still exists?

https://asm.transitdocs.com/ This site is great for tracking how much time Amtrak is losing.

Loyd L.

My personal photography site
bigbassloyd is offline   Reply With Quote