Old 04-21-2008, 09:48 PM   #26
Peter MacCauley

I'd say my biggest fear would either be animals or other people (from the wrong side of the tracks, pardon the pun). Or LEO's.
Actually, one railyard i frequent has a small construction business next to it. One can walk down between the yard and the business, as there were some tracks there long ago. Occaisionally, i walk down there if there is a particular car i want to get a photo of. This construction business is guarded by three dogs. BIG dogs. And only a scragly old fence separating them from me. Now, I'd always been a little apprehensive around dogs until i got my own, as i had an unplanned meeting with a big, big German Shepherd when i was young. So anyway, the last time i was at this yard, one of those big dogs had finally figured out how to overcome that old fence. He wandered around the tracks for a while, ate some grain that leaked out of a hopper, and almost got his by three trains. Fortunately, that day i didn't feel like going to that end of the yard. That would be about as close as i've ever come to any real danger trackside. I hope it stays that way.
Peter.

See my RP photos at:http://www.railpictures.net/showphotos.php?userid=18537
Peter MacCauley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 01:29 AM   #27
Slopes09

Send a message via AIM to Slopes09

One time we were approached by a group of semi-belligerent drunks trying to tell us the 261 was coming through, but I think most of you heard that story already.

I think my main concerns are a combination of running into unsavory characters along the rail (I probably should carry something more substantial than a Leatherman) or a train derailing.

Over in Lockport near where I (normally) live, the tracks are banked for 60 or 70 mph, but many times trains will stop and then restart just before that curve. Let's just say that if you get a slow moving auto train, it feels like it's about to tip over onto ya'.

Pretty much the only Pentax Shooter.

Click Here to view my photos at RailPictures.Net!
Slopes09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 10:17 PM   #28
Clockwise_Corn
Banned

Maybe I should not try that up close shot....
Clockwise_Corn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 04:09 AM   #29
Walter S

Send a message via AIM to Walter S

Hmm, my biggest fear? Well it would have to be trying to not get mauled by a bear ontop of bald Knob at Cass lol. When I was taking some pics atop the mountain at Harpers Ferry once over the tunnel I began to turn around and right when I did there was a snake all perched up ready to strike. Lets just say that I had never ran up a mountain so fast in my life.
Walter S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 04:15 AM   #30
travsirocz

Send a message via AIM to travsirocz

The homeless can be pretty scary. I have had them come out of no where and scare me and I had one guy walking down the street at night, as I was taking some night shots, stopped in front of me, took a piss and then walked up to me and asked for some money. People scare me more then anything.
travsirocz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 05:00 AM   #31
jdirelan87

I'm not too concerned when I'm around the city. I mean lets face it, even straight up Gs from the projects know better than to try something on a middle class white kid in daylight.

Its when I'm out in the middle of nowhere that gets me worried. Of all places I get a little freaked out around Sand Patch, there are ton of unique people down that way and I've heard more than story of railfans returning to their cars to find some hill billie eyeing it over.
jdirelan87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 05:45 AM   #32
Mgoldman

When I'm out on the road railfanning, one great concern I have is the lack of vendors selling Mr Pibb sodas. Used to be I could get a can of the stuff anywhere one hour out of Philly, but not any more. Now it's mostly Dr Pepper.

Other then that, second on my list would be ticks. Just got back from the Rockville Bridge area with a couple of passengers. Those things really tick me off. When I'm by the 'Curve, I tread lightly after meeting a few guys with a bag of rattlers - right where we stood, they were able to bag 3 more.

/Mitch
Mgoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 05:53 AM   #33
trainboysd40

Send a message via MSN to trainboysd40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgoldman
Those things really tick me off.
Pun....intended?
Obligatory link to shots on RP, HERE
trainboysd40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 10:59 PM   #34
tomt

Quote:

When I'm out on the road railfanning,

one great concern I have is the lack of vendors

i'll agree.

junk food and caffeine, everything else means nothing.

plus i'm ugly enuff, most pepole try to avoid me-

my current obssesion -

(here's what i really look like)

when i'm dresed up -

Last edited by tomt; 03-21-2009 at 04:38 AM.
tomt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 11:09 PM   #35
JimThias

Quote:
When I'm out on the road railfanning, one great concern I have is the lack of vendors selling Mr Pibb sodas. Used to be I could get a can of the stuff anywhere one hour out of Philly, but not any more. Now it's mostly Dr Pepper.

+

+

=

A happy Mitch!
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 04:18 AM   #36
Chachi

I'd say I worry about bears most, but I've been out in the mountains for years now and no bear encounters yet...Thankfully.
I've been around many elk with no problems. Had one of those damn ticks, and encountered a unique fellow downtown who thought I was a police man taking his picture, that was interesting.
Also seen from a distance another railfan get his car smashed up by an individual with a large rock and their foot. (Happened too fast to get my camera going) So I guess people are a concern too.
Chachi is offline   Reply With Quote