Old 07-28-2010, 08:37 PM   #1
Ron H

Question High sun? Photo taken at 1100 hrs 2 hrs from high sun

Your thoughts on this shot. It was taken at 1100 hrs. I just don't know.???? You all have seen them, they're 100's of shots with sun higher than mine. It's frustrating, those are excepted and mine is not. Is this considered high sun? Ron H
http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...d=839155&key=0
Ron H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 08:50 PM   #2
Joe the Photog

Dn't worry about the other shots in the database that you think are high sun. They rejected your shot. Looking at it, I can see Poor Lighting more than High Sun. And by Poor Lighting, I mean it more in an RP sense than anything. Their are shadows on the trucks and on the rear pilot. The colors are OK to me. Maybe if there were blue in te sky which, of course, is out of your control.

If this were an action shot cropped looser and showing more train, then I might could see it getting in. But it's a roster shot of two units both long hood forward. There is a giant pole growing out of one unit and the front (read: back) of the unit closest to us is real right against the left of the frame.

If you shot this at 11 a.m. during July in Florida, that is right smack in the time period of general high sun.
Old 07-28-2010, 09:04 PM   #3
Freericks
Met Fan

As Joe noted, it's a borderline situation... roster shots (especially roster shots that are deemed as easy to get) are judged on a much more stringent set of standards than actions shots or tough to get shots.

That tiny bit of shadow on the top of the trucks may not have been an issue if you were facing the front of the locomotives, the locomotives were moving, the locomtoives were rarer, the scenery was more visually enticing, etc. As all of this is a judgement call, it's hard to say what the determining factor was - suffice it to say that a rear angle roster shot of presently rostered power from a major railroad is going to get dinged for any perceiived flaw in the image, no matter how minor... while other shots will be forgiven the exact same flaws due the difficulty in getting the shot.
Freericks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 09:05 PM   #4
troy12n
Banned

It's high sun, cropping leaves something to be desired too. I think Joe said what needed to be said.

High sun in Florida can be 10am this time of year, trust me...
troy12n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 10:28 PM   #5
KevinM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron H View Post
Your thoughts on this shot. It was taken at 1100 hrs. I just don't know.???? You all have seen them, they're 100's of shots with sun higher than mine. It's frustrating, those are excepted and mine is not. Is this considered high sun? Ron H
http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...d=839155&key=0
Hi Ron,

You're absolutely correct in that high-sun shots do get on RP all the time. I've seen a bunch of them lately. The ones I've noticed have not typically been roster-type photos, but are usually larger scenes in which the train was just one element. Even in those cases, I'm guessing that the photographers spent a fair amount of time playing with shadows and highlights, dodging trucks and goodness knows what else in an effort to keep the photo from screaming "high-sun". All of those efforts are more difficult to hide in a close-up shot and as the other guys have said, roster shots are held to one of the highest standards here.

Not being a diesel shooter, or having experience with the screening standards for common power, my only observations on this one are that the colors aren't really popping...at least not on this tube, the trucks look like some dodging or shadow reduction has been done and the ballast....or whatever it is...on the ground surrouding the lead unit looks way too bright (detail has been lost). As high-sun shots go, most people would probably be pretty satisfied with the result.....but unfortunately, the Screeners have a different view than most people.

My RP stuff is here.

Link to my Flickr Albums. Lots of Steam Railroad stuff there from all over the US.

Last edited by KevinM; 07-28-2010 at 10:31 PM.
KevinM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 10:34 PM   #6
bigbassloyd

Questionable photos do slip through, but this one didn't. It has multiple things going against it, such as the blown ballast, the obstructing ladder, the giant tower, the going away look, the tight centered crop.

Maybe in a better scene the lighting conditions would be fine.

Loyd L.

My personal photography site
bigbassloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 01:53 AM   #7
Greg P

Send a message via AIM to Greg P

I got dinged with a high sun at 10:45 in Maryland so don't feel bad.
Greg P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 04:39 AM   #8
Ween

Anyhting after 0930L is "high sun" to me in CO...
Old 07-29-2010, 04:45 AM   #9
Greg P

Send a message via AIM to Greg P

Hence my plan to rent a motor home for my September trip.

Then I can be right by the railroad at dawn.
Greg P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 08:17 AM   #10
sd9

Got to go with what Joe said, as far as High sun I had one rejected that was taken at 0700 so it's more of the poor lighting part sometimes, also this is one of those images that if you were to resubmit you would probably get dinged for something else, like bad angle...train is going away from the viewer,
It looks like they tie down there, try it again in the evening from the other side so you don't have that giant tower thing in the way. good luck
sd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 10:20 AM   #11
TJFarmer
Banned

Loyd wrote,

"Questionable photos do slip through".

"Slip"?

Somedays, the floodgates are open.

Rosters must be free of foreground and background distractions.

TJ Farmer
TJFarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 11:30 AM   #12
milwman
I shoot what I like

Send a message via Yahoo to milwman

Word it like this in your mind, The lighting in your photo is poor (maybe high sun) I don't think its high but it is for what you're shooting, Plus the pilot is dark and that would get it kicked for that. Go reshoot at a better time if you can. Like others I think your shot has other things going on. Expect to get rejected photos all the time, There picky and the only way is to put better one on and you will still get the boot as we all do at times. Think of it this way there making you look good!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/22299476@N05/
milwman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 11:47 AM   #13
milwman
I shoot what I like

Send a message via Yahoo to milwman

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJFarmer View Post

Somedays, the floodgates are open.

It's need to remember that standards for a photo may not be the same as mine or others. I started shooting B&W and you needed hard side light for contrast and I still don't mine partly lit noses for depth and contrast to a point. Rosters yes you need full light and full light helps most shots but at other times a bit of added contrast helps a scene out.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/22299476@N05/
milwman is offline   Reply With Quote