Old 11-13-2011, 03:39 AM   #26
Ron Flanary

Quote:
Originally Posted by coborn35 View Post
Is your name Steve Glischinski, aka SG?
Nope....it's not. So sorry---I didn't realize that was your signature block.

RF
Ron Flanary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 08:33 PM   #27
coborn35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Flanary View Post
Nope....it's not. So sorry---I didn't realize that was your signature block.

RF
No big deal, would have helped if the would have posted!
I personally have had a problem with those trying to tell us to turn railroad photography into an "art form." It's fine for them to do so, I welcome it in fact, but what I do have a problem with is that the practitioners of the more "arty" shots, I have found, tend to look down their nose's at others who are shooting more "mundane" shots.
Railroad photography is what you make of it, but one way is not "better" than another, IMHO. Unless you have a pole right thought the nose of the engine! -SG
coborn35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 01:09 AM   #28
bigbassloyd

I'd bet good money that most of the "artsy" photographers have a huge file of mundane shots. I know I do. The difference between "artsy" shooters, and "mundane" shooters, is that the "artsy" guys do not upload the mundane...

Loyd L. (who's looking down his nose to type this)

My personal photography site
bigbassloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 01:21 AM   #29
Freericks
Met Fan

And the mundane guys shower.

Freericks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 02:04 AM   #30
John West
Senior Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbassloyd View Post
I'd bet good money that most of the "artsy" photographers have a huge file of mundane shots. I know I do. The difference between "artsy" shooters, and "mundane" shooters, is that the "artsy" guys do not upload the mundane...

This is applicable more generally. The one of the primary differences between "great" photographers and the common folks is the "great" photographers don't show anyone their crummy stuff. In the context of say a railroad slide show it is called editing. Great photographs are usually (but not always) as much luck as skill, so most serious photogs take a LOT of images and hope one or two will make the cut. I've been out with high paid professionals and seen their thousands of crappy images ('cause I was the one paying for them for our company's annual reports). We would hope one or two would be okay. Of course and very importantly, skill and experience CAN seriously affect how much "luck" you have.
John West is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 02:07 AM   #31
Ron Flanary

Quote:

Loyd,
I have thousands....and thousands....and thousands, so that's a safe bet. Come on down and I'll give you a few Logan slide boxes of some of the most mundane imagery to ever run through a Kodachrome processor.

Important rule: the best photographers never share their bad stuff. (clue: I've grossly violated that rule, otherwise I'd have 21 shots on RP instead of 2100 something...).
Old 11-14-2011, 02:16 AM   #32
John West
Senior Curmudgeon

Quote:
Come on down and I'll give you a few Logan slide boxes of some of the most mundane imagery to ever run through a Kodachrome processor.
If there was a contest for "mundane", I bet I could give you a good run for the money. Or maybe foreground clutter, poor lighting, backlit, PEQ....you name I got it.
Old 11-14-2011, 02:17 AM   #33
Freericks
Met Fan

Quote:
Loyd,
I have thousands....and thousands....and thousands, so that's a safe bet. Come on down and I'll give you a few Logan slide boxes of some of the most mundane imagery to ever run through a Kodachrome processor.

Important rule: the best photographers never share their bad stuff. (clue: I've grossly violated that rule, otherwise I'd have 21 shots on RP instead of 2100 something...).
I'd be hard pressed to have two photos posted if I followed that rule.
Freericks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 02:31 AM   #34
bigbassloyd

Ron, I'd love to see a couple boxes of your slides sometime!

Charles, I guess I'm not a mundane shooter, but it's really because I live in WV..

Loyd

Old 11-14-2011, 02:40 AM   #35
JimThias

SO much truth in the past hour or two of this thread.

This pretty much sums it up: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Thias
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 02:42 AM   #36
Ron Flanary

Quote:
Originally Posted by John West View Post
If there was a contest for "mundane", I bet I could give you a good run for the money. Or maybe foreground clutter, poor lighting, backlit, PEQ....you name I got it.
Although....(and I'll bet you'll agree on this point)....I'm glad I saved some really bad slides over the years, particularly those over or under exposed or with some similar imperfection. With Photoshop, some (not all, of course) have been pulled back to some level of respectability. Some of those have actually been published, and a few more have been posted on RP. Yesterday's crap was very often today's gold (well, maybe aluminum).

This one taken in 1961 was just awful. It had several small scratches, was color shifted, all kinds of dust specs----just the pits. It was one of the very first color slides I ever took (and I only had the slide because I mistakenly thought it was color print film). I kept it all those years, though.

This first scan---posted to RP---was so-so. I did a better scan and a more thorough job in color correction and clean up with Photoshop---and it ended up as a double page spread in Trains Magazine about three years ago. I would have never guessed that sorry old slide would have made it to "thee" magazine one day.

Image © Ron Flanary
PhotoID: 51230
Photograph © Ron Flanary
Old 11-14-2011, 02:42 AM   #37
Chase55671
RailPictures.Net Crew

Send a message via AIM to Chase55671 Send a message via MSN to Chase55671

Quote:

Loyd,

Disagreed. Isn't than an incredible amount of speculation on your behalf to make the assumption that artsy photographers do not submit the more simple images? I really don't understand your logic there. One of the dumbest statements I've read on this place.

For RP purposes, I think certain photographers have guidelines they set themselves, sure, however, I really like being able to display all of my work and set no personal standards aside from complying with RP's standards. I know a lot of per say, "artsy" photographers on RP who submit on both ends of the spectrum. I just enjoy showcasing all of my work that is suitable for RP. I like to keep it fresh with a little bit of variety, in that I won't consistently submit the same types of compositions without throwing something a little different in there. That's normal, though.

It's very far from accurate to say all artsy photographers only submit creative material.. I sure hope you're kidding.

Chase
Click here to view my photos at Railpictures.Net
SLR Night Photography Tutorial | Railpictures.Net Beginners Guide
Chase55671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 02:45 AM   #38
JimThias

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chase55671 View Post
Loyd,

Disagreed. Isn't that an incredible amount of speculation on your behalf to make the assumption that artsy photographers do not submit the more simple images? I really don't understand your logic there. One of the dumbest statements I've read on this place.
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/facetious

This pretty much sums it up: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Thias
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 02:47 AM   #39
troy12n
Banned

Quote:
Loyd,

You should at least, if you feel the desire anyway, post them on flickr or something. There are a few local pictures that have hundreds, if not thousands of pictures of my local area, mostly B&W shots of the 50's-80's that are not "RP quality", but are some of the best historical photos.

They would definitely not go unappreciated...
troy12n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 02:50 AM   #40
troy12n
Banned

ffffffffffff nm

Last edited by troy12n; 11-14-2011 at 03:03 AM.
troy12n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 02:58 AM   #41
Ron Flanary

Quote:
Loyd,

Disagreed. Isn't than an incredible amount of speculation on your behalf to make the assumption that artsy photographers do not submit the more simple images? I really don't understand your logic there. One of the dumbest statements I've read on this place.
While you didn't address this to me, Chase...I'll have to step in and say, NO, Loyd's statement was far from "dumb." He made an outstanding point.

In truth, there are many "artsy" photographers----or stated differently, those who enjoy more interpretive scenes than the mere photographic documentation of trains. And----virtually all of them shoot at least some of the "mundane"---three quarter, full sun wedgies, roster shots, etc.

Like you, I throw up just about anything to RP I might "like" at the moment. Sometimes it's creative, but most of the time it's just another upload of mechanical artifactual image recordation. It merely demonstrates that I can take a photo that's level and fairly well composed and exposed properly. The world would probably be better off if I didn't upload those kinds of shots.

Frankly----I would be much, much prouder if I only had 40 to 50 absolutely breathtaking train photos on this site rather than the 2100 or something I do now. Achievement in photography is not done through volume, but through quality.
Old 11-14-2011, 02:59 AM   #42
Chase55671
RailPictures.Net Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimThias View Post
Well good! Now I don't have to slap Loyd next time I see him.. And pardon me if I'm grumpy, today is my turn to be! Coming off two hours of sleep and only half reading the forums to kill a three hour drive..

Hey Ron, I'm coming through your front yard right now going to Pikeville.

Chase
Old 11-14-2011, 03:08 AM   #43
Ron Flanary

Quote:
Hey Ron, I'm coming through your front yard right now going to Pikeville. [Chase
Please tell me you're not driving.....
Old 11-14-2011, 03:20 AM   #44
bigbassloyd

Chase, please read the information provided by the link Jim provided when you're not busying uploading photos..

Loyd L.

edit - Read it again to be safe

edit^2 Sleep is for the weak

edit^3 Go home

Old 11-14-2011, 03:31 AM   #45
Chase55671
RailPictures.Net Crew

Quote:
Please tell me you're not driving.....
I'm not! Plez is, though.

Chase
Old 11-14-2011, 03:56 AM   #46
bigbassloyd

I bet the coffee is still hot too.

Loyd L.

Old 11-14-2011, 04:20 AM   #47
John West
Senior Curmudgeon

Smile

Quote:
Although....(and I'll bet you'll agree on this point)....I'm glad I saved some really bad slides over the years, particularly those over or under exposed or with some similar imperfection. With Photoshop, some (not all, of course) have been pulled back to some level of respectability. Some of those have actually been published, and a few more have been posted on RP. Yesterday's crap was very often today's gold (well, maybe aluminum).

This one taken in 1961 was just awful. It had several small scratches, was color shifted, all kinds of dust specs----just the pits. It was one of the very first color slides I ever took (and I only had the slide because I mistakenly thought it was color print film). I kept it all those years, though.

This first scan---posted to RP---was so-so. I did a better scan and a more thorough job in color correction and clean up with Photoshop---and it ended up as a double page spread in Trains Magazine about three years ago. I would have never guessed that sorry old slide would have made it to "thee" magazine one day.

Image © Ron Flanary
PhotoID: 51230
Photograph © Ron Flanary
That hardly qualifies as mundane. Heck it has Alcos. One of the few benefits of growing old is the passage of time alone makes some of our older stuff interesting. And in some case the "mundane" becomes interesting, maybe even gangbusters. And Photoshop can save a lot of stuff that might otherwise be throwaway.

I'll submit this one on my behalf. Talk about foreground clutter. But folks seemed to like it.

Image © John West
PhotoID: 275331
Photograph © John West

Last edited by John West; 11-14-2011 at 04:24 AM.
Old 11-14-2011, 04:26 AM   #48
bigbassloyd

So to sum it all up in one misleading sentence.

Take a great photo, or live long enough to have the only photo.

Loyd L.

Old 11-14-2011, 04:41 AM   #49
Ron Flanary

Quote:
Originally Posted by John West View Post
That hardly qualifies as mundane. Heck it has Alcos. One of the few benefits of growing old is the passage of time alone makes some of our older stuff interesting. And in some case the "mundane" becomes interesting, maybe even gangbusters. And Photoshop can save a lot of stuff that might otherwise be throwaway.

I'll submit this one on my behalf. Talk about foreground clutter. But folks seemed to like it.

Image © John West
PhotoID: 275331
Photograph © John West
What foreground clutter? All I see are some fine looking Alco PAs (and PBs)!

Great shot!!
Old 11-14-2011, 04:42 AM   #50
Ron Flanary

Quote:
So to sum it all up in one misleading sentence.

Take a great photo, or live long enough to have the only photo.

Loyd L.
Actually, it's possible to do both (not that I have...).