Old 05-14-2011, 03:56 AM   #1
AKeth

Default Is there anything I can do to get this on?

Hello,

I really liked this photo, and It was rejected for bad cropping. Anything I can do to fix it?

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...key=1090840888

Thanks again!
-Alex
AKeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 04:47 AM   #2
Joe the Photog

The lighting is probably going to kill this shot for RP, but as for cropping, do you have anything later? I'd much rather see the train closer to the signal on the other side of the tracks. There's way too much space between the nose of the train and the right side of the frame. The train needs to be closer to the signal and the photo needs to be cropped closer to the signal also.
Old 05-14-2011, 05:07 AM   #3
DWHonan

I agree with Joe: Far too much dead space in the right half of the composition.

But tell us: Why do you like the photo so much? What makes you say wow?
View my portfolio at Flickr Not quite so new anymore!
DWHonan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 05:15 AM   #4
coborn35

Why does he have to say wow?
I personally have had a problem with those trying to tell us to turn railroad photography into an "art form." It's fine for them to do so, I welcome it in fact, but what I do have a problem with is that the practitioners of the more "arty" shots, I have found, tend to look down their nose's at others who are shooting more "mundane" shots.
Railroad photography is what you make of it, but one way is not "better" than another, IMHO. Unless you have a pole right thought the nose of the engine! -SG
coborn35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 05:52 AM   #5
nikos1

Im guessing he wants it on cause the SD50-3. But sorry wrong spot for the time of day, you should have shot it from the bridge since you had no side light a nose on wouldve worked much better and youd have gotten more of the unit train.

Wedge shots of blue HLCX SD60's http://www.railpictures.net/showphotos.php?userid=7861

More wedge shots of blue HLCX SD60's http://nikos1.rrpicturearchives.net/

Video wedge shots of blue HLCX SD60's
http://youtube.com/profile?user=nikosjk1
nikos1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 01:05 PM   #6
Joe the Photog

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikos1 View Post
...you should have shot it from the bridge since you had no side light a nose....
Waxhaw was always one of my favorite places to go when I lived in Lancaster and it was because of that bridge. Shooting it or shooting from it, you could never go wrong.

Waxhaw, NC by Joe the Photog, on Flickr

Image ©
PhotoID:
Photograph ©

Not that I'm telling you something you don't already know...

Image ©
PhotoID:
Photograph ©
Old 05-14-2011, 01:08 PM   #7
AKeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog View Post
The lighting is probably going to kill this shot for RP, but as for cropping, do you have anything later? I'd much rather see the train closer to the signal on the other side of the tracks. There's way too much space between the nose of the train and the right side of the frame. The train needs to be closer to the signal and the photo needs to be cropped closer to the signal also.
What about this photo? Would this work better?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_0554.jpg (565.6 KB, 122 views)
Old 05-14-2011, 01:12 PM   #8
AKeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWHonan View Post
I agree with Joe: Far too much dead space in the right half of the composition.

But tell us: Why do you like the photo so much? What makes you say wow?
Thanks. Sorry if I'm not answering correctly, but I liked it because I wanted the train to be in between the signals as it passed through Waxhaw. I would have loved to be on the other side (I'm not trying to make excuses) but the train was less than a mile away, and to get to the other side without jumping down the "cliff" next to me and possibly doing some damage to myself, I would have had to walk all the way around to the crossing then come back up where I was. I also like this shot because of the ethanol train. I like those trains for some reason.

Hope this helps!
-Alex
Old 05-14-2011, 04:15 PM   #9
AntD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKeth View Post
What about this photo? Would this work better?
That shot would need some CCW rotation but like many have said, you should've been on the other side. So with that said this looks like one for the archives.

But, I do love those SD50-3s, hell of a lot better than those block faced SD40-3s!

My RP Photos

My Flickr Photos

My RRPA Photos

YouTube Videos
AntD. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 10:12 PM   #10
nikos1

Other side wouldnt have mattered all too much, judging by the shadow there was absolutely no side light. You shot wide when you shouldve shot telephoto, that wouldve given you a straight on nose shot deemphasizing the unlit sides and also wouldve shown the ethanol train better.

Oh and Joe, why is that shot of the CEFX unit coming under the bridge not on RP? Thats an awesome shot, I miss those Bluebirds!

Wedge shots of blue HLCX SD60's http://www.railpictures.net/showphotos.php?userid=7861

More wedge shots of blue HLCX SD60's http://nikos1.rrpicturearchives.net/

Video wedge shots of blue HLCX SD60's
http://youtube.com/profile?user=nikosjk1
nikos1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 10:45 PM   #11
AKeth

Quote:
Other side wouldnt have mattered all too much, judging by the shadow there was absolutely no side light. You shot wide when you shouldve shot telephoto, that wouldve given you a straight on nose shot deemphasizing the unlit sides and also wouldve shown the ethanol train better.

Oh and Joe, why is that shot of the CEFX unit coming under the bridge not on RP? Thats an awesome shot, I miss those Bluebirds!
That's too bad I didn't. I have a telephoto I use and had it on the camera. But took it off and replaced it with another lense because I wanted both signals in the shot. My mistake.

Thanks!
-Alex
Old 05-15-2011, 02:23 AM   #12
AKeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntD. View Post
That shot would need some CCW rotation but like many have said, you should've been on the other side. So with that said this looks like one for the archives.

But, I do love those SD50-3s, hell of a lot better than those block faced SD40-3s!
Thanks! I'll guess I'll not try to submit it haha. But yeah I really like the SD50-3's as well! One of the SD40-3's was leading train F768 a couple weeks ago, as well. Thanks for helping, too!

-Alex
Old 05-15-2011, 03:19 AM   #13
Joe the Photog

Quote:
Thanks, Nikos. I'm not sure why I never uploaded it to RP. In the meantime, I lost the original in a HD crash, so that's the only version I have that I can find.