Old 12-28-2005, 03:18 AM   #1
Wonka001

Default When Quality Counts..

I have a problem.. my pictures I take at night, come out grainy.. I use a Canon EOS 650, which uses 35mm film. The auto ISO setting on the film is 400, I changed the ISO setting on the camera, and the night shots still come out very grainy... What gives? do I need to find a different film that has a lower iso on the actual film, or is it good enough to change the iso settings on my camera?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg UR200625pnu.jpg (173.3 KB, 211 views)
Wonka001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2005, 03:26 AM   #2
SD70MAC
HOBO

Your going to want the lowest ISO possible when shooting night photography to keep grain at a the minimum. ISO 100 is a must. ISO 200 is ok to but anything above and you'll get grain.
SD70MAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2005, 04:01 AM   #3
trainmonster

Exclamation

Lowest ISO possible... and go digital. 400 film is much too high-it'll always be grainy. In my film days I shot Kodachrome 64 and got good results-just used the tripod with a cable release and left 'er open longer.

Check out your pic now... you can get rid of grain/noise with Neat Image. www.neatimage.com It saved a lot of pics!

Rich
Attached Images
File Type: jpg UR200625pnu.jpg (195.0 KB, 178 views)
Old 12-28-2005, 04:57 AM   #4
Pat Lorenz

I am curious to what kind of film are you using. Print or Slide?
Pat Lorenz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2005, 02:31 PM   #5
ddavies

ASA 400 film is very grainy, and when you scan film, you are seeing the grain. Go digital with a DSLR if you can afford it. Night photography with non-DSLRs will also give you grain from dark current noise of the detector. A DSR will have less noise, because the actual size of the "pixel" on the detector is much larger, therefore will capture more light, and be less likely to get random colors (noise).
ddavies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2005, 12:12 AM   #6
Pat Lorenz

Going digital is not the way to fix this problem. Spending $200 to $400 on new camera gear to fix some grain is not an ideal way to fix this. There are more types of film out there and if you choose the right kind, you wont have any problems. Specialy night and daylight films will work just fine. The best way to solve grain is to shoot slides. The depth in the image is spectacular. Most likely this shot wasnt 'grained up' because of the inital exposure. Converting a film image to a digital pixel image goofs up alot. Unless you have really good scanning, the grain will appear. I would like to know what this guy is using in terms of film type and what he is using in terms of scanning his image. I will tell you that using 400 speed film on a night shot was the first problem. Judging by the fact that he is using 400 ISO tells me this is a print negitive, because it isnt very comon to use 400 speed when working around slides. There needs to be more information to this story. Buying a digital camera would be a mistake. This is the part of film photography that makes you better, trial and error. I messed up many shots, but when i finally got it right, it turned out great.
Pat Lorenz is offline   Reply With Quote