Old 07-12-2007, 12:37 AM   #1
JRMDC

Default No views: a tale of 2 shots

I recently had two shots accepted, both of which subsequently have had abysmal numbers of views. One is
Image © Janusz Mrozek
PhotoID: 192967
Photograph © Janusz Mrozek

In retrospect, I am having regrets about this shot and am considering pulling it. The train is probably too far back - I thought that was what I wanted, to allow for greater emphasis on the heralds and symbols on the pedestrian bridge, but those are too small anyway to carry the weight of the shot. I suspect I am influenced psychologically by the low views, but I no longer think this is a good shot. Comments, anyone?

Attached are two similar views. One is of the same train, with the locomotive much closer (filename ending in "d"). I didn't choose it to submit instead because the side was in shadow. I really got confused by the light; I thought I was on the correct side of the tracks, and besides, I can't get up high from the other side. The other (filename ending in "c") is a shot I will go for another time, from the other side of the pedestrian bridge. Because I can get up high, I can really get a good view of the B&O herald with an extreme wide angle lens. This shot requires an afternoon visit and probably a WB train (although I might prefer the view with an EB as in the shot here).

Just to prove it's not about the views , here is my other recent submission. It may very well set an RP record for least hits by a photo; it may never make 100. In large measure because the thumbnail shows you everything and there is no reason to look at the full view. (Plus I'm sure it's not of great interest for many.) Don't click through unless you really, really feel compelled to!

But it pleases me greatly. It's a simple geometric composition, a rectangle, a circle, a bold color, some interesting angular shadows on the colored circle. (The wire hanging down is a distraction but not a big deal to me.) I am happy that RP accepted it because it is representative of a style I don't often try but would like to do more, and it does not matter to me how few look at it.

Image © Janusz Mrozek
PhotoID: 193102

Anyway, this is a combo inquiry, venting, puffing of chest, who knows. Just felt like it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CSX.GaithersburgMD062407G80219c.jpg (266.8 KB, 115 views)
File Type: jpg CSX.GaithersburgMD070807Q41108d.jpg (200.7 KB, 122 views)

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 12:50 AM   #2
Joe the Photog

I like the shot with the 5832 in it. It might not be RP-mateial with the shadow; on the other hand, it might look better as a b&w. I would definitely go back there and shoot from this location, but when the sun is better. I think a train in the direction this one is going works very well and I love the old GE Dash 7s.

The other attched shot with the loco cut off in the middle doesn't impress me much and it also appears to be leaning to the left.

Joe
Old 07-12-2007, 12:54 AM   #3
ken45
LA&SL Fanatic

I like the first shot, but that pedestrian bridge is pretty high to try to emphasize the logos. Still, I like the way your mind was working on it. I wouldn't pull it, I think it's about as good as you're going to get as far as accomplishing your goal.

I think I was one of the few who viewed the second shot!
Old 07-12-2007, 01:04 AM   #4
Carl Becker

Don't feel bad, JRMDC. This shot was uploaded in January 2006 and it never got any views.

Image © John Means
PhotoID: 130390
Photograph © John Means

No, just j/k, it seems as though there is a problem with that shot. After it gets viewed, it resets itself back to 0. I had actually posted a question about it in the site-related forum a while back but one one answered. Pretty strange.

On a different note, from other contributors, what is the least amount of views a single photo of yours has? None of mine have less than 100, but that's probably because of how many times I look through them ... and check for info that people have decided to apply to it .... that's the wrong info.
Carl Becker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 02:13 AM   #5
EMTRailfan

Location: I can be found railfanning the abandoned B&O Northern Sub.

JRMDC,

I agree with everyone else. I like the accepted submit as-is and would leave it. If you really want to pull it, get back there and get a better shot if one is possible. Aren't we able to upload improved scans to current photos? You would have to change the applicable data, or am I thinking of that option incorrectly.

Carl,

My least viewed shot is 229 right now. I try not to view my shots by opening them unless I am showing someone at work or looking to see who left comments since the email doesn't tell us who.
Old 07-12-2007, 02:19 AM   #6
Ween

Quote:
Aren't we able to upload improved scans to current photos? You would have to change the applicable data, or am I thinking of that option incorrectly.
It would have to be the same photo that's been accepted that you're improving upon. It can't be one that's similar (i.e. train is closer, different train, etc.)...
Old 07-12-2007, 02:40 AM   #7
jdirelan87

Of the three angles you suggested, the one in the database is by far the best. Now, that's not to say that the one in the database is a particularly compelling shot, just frankly speaking, the other two are so bad.

The one that was accepted is boarder line at best to be honest. There are some interesting lines formed by the intersection of the overpass and the building when compared to the train. But, as even you admitted, the B&O symbol is almost a non-factor in the shot. Also, the train is not in the logical 3rd it should be for this shot. Maybe if it was the lines would be more appealing, but now it just looks like you filled up your buffer too early.

As for the second shot, close but no cigar. I can see what you are going for with a "simple" or "stripped down" shot, but the shadows cast onto the yellow sign ruin this by adding complex shapes to the primary theme of the photo.
jdirelan87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 09:19 AM   #8
WembYard

Janusz, I like the first shot and prefer it to the other ones of the same location that you posted. If you had shot when the train was closer, then the shadow of the bridge would have been on the loco.

The second shot probably has few views as you can see exactly what the subject is from the thumbnail, my "least viewed" suffers from the same "problem"

Image © Janet Cottrell
PhotoID: 159243
Photograph © Janet Cottrell

Last edited by WembYard; 07-12-2007 at 09:20 AM. Reason: Spelling
WembYard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 10:35 AM   #9
Wizzo

Quote:
Originally Posted by WembYard
Image © Janet Cottrell
PhotoID: 159243
Photograph © Janet Cottrell
I rather like that one - the background is so blemish free it almost looks like its been mocked up via software (compliment intended as I assume it isn't )

Please accept one extra view on that shot.

Press here to see my pics on railpictures.net

More pics here D1059 on Flickr
Wizzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 10:51 AM   #10
Mike B.
Banned

I quite like the one that has already been submitted. I can see why you want the engine closer, but like someone already said, the shadow from the bridge would be on the engine if were closer. Plus, with the engine further back it leaves more of the building to be seen which is an interesting subject IMO. I don't see a way to better execute the shot (doesn't mean there isn't tho), unless you make the shadow go away.
Mike B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 11:05 AM   #11
JRMDC

Thanks, everybody!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog
I like the shot with the 5832 in it. It might not be RP-mateial with the shadow; on the other hand, it might look better as a b&w. I would definitely go back there and shoot from this location, but when the sun is better. I think a train in the direction this one is going works very well and I love the old GE Dash 7s.
Joe, I was quite surprised to see a -7 leader and I was quite disappointed to have my ultrawide on as I would have preferred some more conventional shots of this fading beauty, as my tastes match yours. In situations like this I always have to wonder, is this the last time I see a -7 leading?

Anyway, here is a standard view, heavily cropped from the original. I'd submit it but it is a bland wedgie and I have two shots in already with roughly this perspective (a bit tighter and further down the track, but about the same). It's also high sun, but I am up high so no big deal. Hmm, might have to rethink my decision ...

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
Old 07-12-2007, 11:06 AM   #12
JRMDC

And here is the pic
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CSX.GaithersburgMD062407G80219b.jpg (246.3 KB, 219 views)

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
Old 07-12-2007, 04:12 PM   #13
JimThias

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRMDC
Just to prove it's not about the views , here is my other recent submission. It may very well set an RP record for least hits by a photo; it may never make 100. In large measure because the thumbnail shows you everything and there is no reason to look at the full view. (Plus I'm sure it's not of great interest for many.) Don't click through unless you really, really feel compelled to!

Image © Janusz Mrozek
PhotoID: 193102

Congrats, you broke 100!

Keep the first picture, it's fine.
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 04:26 PM   #14
JRMDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimThias
Congrats, you broke 100!
Virtual champagne being popped!

On a related note, I just broke 35,000 for my entire oeuvre.

Sorta cool, really, since I just started piling them in last November, to think that so many eyeballs have looked at my stuff, compared to those who had seen my stuff for my entire life up to last year. Of course quite a number of you have way, way, way more than that! But RP has been great for me and my rail photography.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
Old 07-12-2007, 06:36 PM   #15
Joe the Photog

That's an odd little lash up, a Dash 7 leading three bigger brothers like that. As luck would have it, I shot a B36-7 today. I'll have to see how they turned out later. It's almost pst my nap time!

Joe
Old 07-12-2007, 07:12 PM   #16
Bill

Hi Janusz,
I like the simple 'G' shot...but if you reshoot it, shoot it at a time that you don't have the sun casting a shadow across the face. Also, climb up there & trim that wire.
...or clone it.
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 07:26 PM   #17
JRMDC

Hmm, two votes against the shadows, I thought they added something (not that I could do anything about it at the time), hmm ...

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
Old 07-12-2007, 07:58 PM   #18
Mike B.
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRMDC
Hmm, two votes against the shadows, I thought they added something (not that I could do anything about it at the time), hmm ...
I like the shadow too. It keeps the photo from being just a photo of a sign.
Mike B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 10:19 AM   #19
WembYard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizzo
I rather like that one - the background is so blemish free it almost looks like its been mocked up via software (compliment intended as I assume it isn't )

Please accept one extra view on that shot.
Thanks Steve. Definitely not altered - I wouldn't know how to!
The loco was on display at an "open doors day" and had just been repainted to a high standard, hence the perfect background. Sadly, it was not well positioned to get a photo of the whole loco with the sun on it, but I am on a tour that is booked to use this engine next month so am praying for good weather as there are bound to be loads of photo opportunitues

PS - no longer my least viewed, - thanks to everybody who had a look!
WembYard is offline   Reply With Quote