Old 09-22-2008, 10:04 AM   #1
mattyrob87

Default Composition/Balance Problems

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...&key=974496511

Hmmmmm... I don't like the reject... but I don't really understand what they mean... Could anybody help explain it to me? Any comments or suggestions?

Thanks!
mattyrob87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 11:11 AM   #2
milwman
I shoot what I like

Send a message via Yahoo to milwman

I like it just the way it is. The sky is nice and the whole trains in the shot. Appeal!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/22299476@N05/
milwman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 06:11 PM   #3
stevenmwelch

Send a message via AIM to stevenmwelch Send a message via Yahoo to stevenmwelch

The only thing I can see wrong is that the caboose is somewhat blocked... Other than that, I love it!
My Photos on RP
My RP Rejects and then Some
stevenmwelch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 06:20 PM   #4
EMTRailfan

Location: I can be found railfanning the abandoned B&O Northern Sub.

Being that it was hit with balance, my guess would be that the main subjects (train and highway) are jammed into the center vertically, making it center weighted. The clouds add to the photo, but the water in the FG does not add much.

Not having the caboose blocked may have helped, but then you would have had the lead loco blocked by that ?antenna mast? and what may be off frame that we can't see as it appears like it is starting to get busy in that area. Do you have more to work with in the original to play with different crops? Maybe go for a retry, and have one of your buddies have his boat in the foreground keeping the same comp. that you have now.
Old 09-22-2008, 09:29 PM   #5
KevinM

I'm guessing that the Screener is objecting to the subject matter being in the center third. On some broadside shots, the center third seems to be the accepted place to put the primary subject, so I can't say I'd have started out any differently than you did.

Since there's not much you can do with the photo laterally, other than perhaps giving the ends of the train a hair more breathing space, I'd agree with the other guys that a bit of a vertical shift is probably what you need to win the Screener over. My past experience with shots like this is that if the foreground doesn't have any interesting features, you are better off showing more sky, which is certainly more interesting in this case. If the original image allows, shave a bit off the bottom and include more sky. The train should probably sit right on the lower 33% line.

That would be my first shot at fixing it anyway.

My RP stuff is here.

Link to my Flickr Albums. Lots of Steam Railroad stuff there from all over the US.
KevinM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 10:29 PM   #6
mattyrob87

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMTRailfan
Not having the caboose blocked may have helped, but then you would have had the lead loco blocked by that ?antenna mast? and what may be off frame that we can't see as it appears like it is starting to get busy in that area. Do you have more to work with in the original to play with different crops? Maybe go for a retry, and have one of your buddies have his boat in the foreground keeping the same comp. that you have now.
I realized having the caboose blocked is annoying, but there wasn't much else I could do. Like you mentioned if I shot any later then the lead loco would have been blocked out by a few things. If only the one tanker was just a little bit shorter...

And if one of my buddies had a boat then I'd be using it to get closer to the bridge let alone getting him in the shot!

I’ll play around with it and add more sky, take away more water and see what happens… Looking back at some old posts I realized I have had the same problems shooting in this area before: http://www.railpictures.net/viewphot...234493&nseq=26
Old 09-23-2008, 12:12 AM   #7
Northern Limits

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattyrob87
Looking back at some old posts I realized I have had the same problems shooting in this area before: http://www.railpictures.net/viewphot...234493&nseq=26
My first thought when I read your post.
I think this one is too tight to the edges. Any up/down adjusting won't make much difference. RP seems to prefer foreground (without clutter) than a lot of sky.
Have you tried shooting wider and adding more foreground to the picture by adding a marina or a few boats?

BTW it also seems a little dark to me.

Click Here to view my photos at RailPictures.Net!
Northern Limits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 06:47 AM   #8
Joe the Photog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Limits
My first thought when I read your post.
I think this one is too tight to the edges.
That was pretty much my exact thought two. Right after: cool, end cabs! I think it's a tad too tight on the right side of the frame. Give it a little lead room if you can!

Joe
Old 09-23-2008, 06:49 PM   #9
KevinM

Hey, looks like you got it in! Nice job!

Image © Matthew Robson
PhotoID: 252060
Photograph © Matthew Robson

It would appear as if less foreground and more sky was indeed the way to go.

My RP stuff is here.

Link to my Flickr Albums. Lots of Steam Railroad stuff there from all over the US.
KevinM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 12:16 AM   #10
mattyrob87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog
That was pretty much my exact thought two. Right after: cool, end cabs! I think it's a tad too tight on the right side of the frame. Give it a little lead room if you can!
I just read your comments now after the shot was already up, and I had looked at a crop that wasn't so tight and I liked this one over the other. Thanks for the help everybody!