Old 02-01-2010, 06:28 PM   #1
Cameraman

Default Semaphores: is the party over?

Have we reached the end of the line for semaphores?

By my counts the pickings are slim.

CSX took out all but 3 pairs on the north end of the Monon in Indiana, and the southend which still has blades is now without ANY traffic

The Sante Fe line to Raton has blades but no real traffic. And I believe the commuter carrier replaced some blades on its section of this line. What are the limits of what remains?

I have not kept up with the the CORP in Oregon, are there any still standing?

MRL replaced most of the ones I have shot. Are any still in service?

I also seem to remember that when i was in AZ shooting the blades on the SP lines someone mentioned the passenger line to Phoenix had blades but after Amtrak came off that line I never heard if they were removed or like the other lines stand with no traffic?

Beyond these lines is there anything I am missing?

CM

Last edited by Cameraman; 02-01-2010 at 06:36 PM.
Cameraman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 07:39 PM   #2
LSRC Railfan

There are still miscellaneous blades left around the country, but I think you nailed all the famous main-line blades.

We still have several in Michigan. There are two blades in the Bay City area plus a tilted-taget signal. There are two semaphore blades mounted to searchlights in Kalamazoo. There are others in Trout Lake, Walled Lake, and White Pigeon. I suspect that there are many more blades left in small towns around the country.

Here one that I photographed:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/40722547@N08/4129299544/
LSRC Railfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 10:34 PM   #3
Nahant

There is still one in Centralia, IL. for the NS Illinois Division.
Nahant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 06:53 PM   #4
ken45
LA&SL Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cameraman View Post
Have we reached the end of the line for semaphores?

The Sante Fe line to Raton has blades but no real traffic. And I believe the commuter carrier replaced some blades on its section of this line. What are the limits of what remains?

I have not kept up with the the CORP in Oregon, are there any still standing?

MRL replaced most of the ones I have shot. Are any still in service?

I also seem to remember that when i was in AZ shooting the blades on the SP lines someone mentioned the passenger line to Phoenix had blades but after Amtrak came off that line I never heard if they were removed or like the other lines stand with no traffic?

Beyond these lines is there anything I am missing?

CM
On the Glorieta and Raton Subs, I believe there are a handful between Lamy and Waldo. Then east of Blanchard they pick up again and it's solid semaphores to Las Vegas. At Watrous, semaphores pick up again from there through Shoemaker Canyon. Showmaker siding is color lights. And then from Wagon Mound to near Springer is pretty much all semaphores with a couple exceptions. Even though traffic is light, the way the Amtrak's fall, if both trains are running on time, you can easily spend an action packed day on this stretch of track, and I can highly recommend a visit. The Chiefs typically meet at Canoncito which is between Lamy and Glorieta.

I think all the CORP ones have been bagged/removed.

MRL ones are gone, at least on the mainline.

The Phoenix-Wellton line has some semaphores, but for the most part they have been vandalized/removed. I think there's one near Wellton in decent shape. Only the semaphore near Wellton still has its blade.

I also heard there was a semaphore in Lincoln, NE off the old line from Nebraska City. I saw a picture of it a year ago or so, but haven't been able to locate it since. Not sure if it's in operation or is a fixed approach.
Old 02-02-2010, 10:15 PM   #5
troy12n

If anyone cares, or thinks they count, there is a lit fixed approach semaphore of ACL vintage on the HoG (SAL) line in Cordele, GA guarding the westbound approach to the interlocking which 3 RR's cross at grade there (HoG, NS, CSX), as well as 2 in Ocala, FL (same design as the one in Cordele) on the Florida Midland RR (ACL) guarding the approaches (north and south) to the interlocking (CSX) crossing at grade. These 2 are not lit. The Northbound one is more photogenic and can be worked into a shot if you can find a southbound train there, its a better late afternoon angle, but they usually go outbound in the morning and inbound in the afternoon.
troy12n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 11:16 PM   #6
karldotcom

Send a message via AIM to karldotcom

IMG_2341

Sure glad I went when I did! (And more than a couple people asking why if there werent any trains....)

>>>The Phoenix-Wellton line has some semaphores, but for the most part they have been vandalized/removed. I think there's one near Wellton in decent shape. Only the semaphore near Wellton still has its blade.

Old 02-03-2010, 01:28 PM   #7
Cameraman

I only count active semaphores that can move to show indications. Yes there are lots of fixed approach blades but those are no different than a sign.

So the Santa Fe is the last road show left and it has 2 passenger trains. Is there any freight, locals perhaps, that can still show up?
Cameraman is offline   Reply With Quote