Old 01-16-2010, 11:37 PM   #1
chuckman

Default Triple track "wrong main"

I recently read in some railfan magazine that on double tracks the trains generally face so the engineer's seat is facing the outside of the road double track. What is the procedure with triple tracks? Is the middle track just a "whatever" track?

My photos on flickr...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/53728467@N08/
chuckman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 12:10 AM   #2
Andrew Blaszczyk (2)

Send a message via AIM to Andrew Blaszczyk (2) Send a message via Yahoo to Andrew Blaszczyk (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckman View Post
I recently read in some railfan magazine that on double tracks the trains generally face so the engineer's seat is facing the outside of the road double track. What is the procedure with triple tracks? Is the middle track just a "whatever" track?
Yes, the middle track is usually setup for bidirectional running. If it's on a mountainous section of railroad such as the NS Pittsburgh Line, it is mostly (but not always) trains going up grade that will use the middle track to either run around slower trains grinding up the hill or to let traffic by on the outside track.

"My camera is an artistic medium, not a tool of terrorism."

www.ab2photography.com Coming soon!
My photos on RailPictures:
http://www.railpictures.net/showphotos.php?userid=960
Andrew Blaszczyk (2) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 02:02 AM   #3
CP 8848
Banned

[quote=chuckman;107886]I recently read in some railfan magazine QUOTE]

You don't have to hide the fact that you read Trains magazine...it's ok here!
CP 8848 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 01:14 PM   #4
J

It is presmably wise to remember that trains can operate on any track in either direction. Many are signalled for operation in both directions; UP still operates "on the left-hand track" in some former CNW territory.
J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 11:05 PM   #5
Cameraman

Default This question has a more detailed answer

This question has a more detailed answer:

Wrong main only applies to D-251 territory where track is signaled for movement in one direction only with no signals in the opposing direction for that track.

Most mains today that are double track, or D-261, are signaled in BOTH directions on both tracks. In this example there is NO such thing as wrong main. However, the term carries over in several of the magazines and with older fans but is improper.

On triple you have to see the employee timetable know for certain but you can make a guess when in the field. You can tell if each triple track signal bridge (or each of 3 single masts) has signals in both directions for each track then there is no wrong main. All tracks even in 251 have signals on all track at interlockings, but the tell-tell locations is at intermediates signals.

The term wrong main resulted from when in 251 territory you had to get trainorders or TWC's today to run in the direction that had no signals.
Cameraman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 11:12 PM   #6
TheRoadForeman
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cameraman View Post
This question has a more detailed answer:

Wrong main only applies to D-251 territory where track is signaled for movement in one direction only with no signals in the opposing direction for that track.

Most mains today that are double track, or D-261, are signaled in BOTH directions on both tracks. In this example there is NO such thing as wrong main. However, the term carries over in several of the magazines and with older fans but is improper.

On triple you have to see the employee timetable know for certain but you can make a guess when in the field. You can tell if each triple track signal bridge (or each of 3 single masts) has signals in both directions for each track then there is no wrong main. All tracks even in 251 have signals on all track at interlockings, but the tell-tell locations is at intermediates signals.

The term wrong main resulted from when in 251 territory you had to get trainorders or TWC's today to run in the direction that had no signals.
Most of the time running "Wrong main" (251 territory) as you call it is actually called, "Running against the current of traffic". You make a great point in checking the signals and which direction they provide protection to.
TheRoadForeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 02:26 AM   #7
chuckman

Thanks for the help everyone! I find with CSX< they generally try to use the "right main", but like TheRoadForeman stated, they can run on any track in any direction. and not be considered "Wrong main". Anyone know of a railroad that literally has "wrong mains"?

My photos on flickr...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/53728467@N08/
chuckman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 02:37 PM   #8
Violet-Skies Photos
Rebellious Youth

Chuck-

The instances of true "Wrong-main" running around my area, at least that I know of, are very rare. CP 112 on the NS Cleveland Line has a signal set for the east and west direction on track 2 (The northernmost track), which is placed at the west yard lead for the Maple Heights Intermodal Terminal, with no signals in either direction on track 1. However, CP 112 is a starts and ends two blocks in cab signal territory. So either way, it's not precisely wrong main running.