Old 03-27-2010, 09:45 PM   #1
warbonnets

Default BNSF Dash 8's

From the Brass Switchkey #14, March 11,2010.

While not all of the BNSF Dash 8-40CWs are still in red & silver warbonnet paint, many are still red & silver. If the reports are true, then several of these units will be leaving the BNSF roster. According to an un-named source, 25 of the first delivered in the Santa Fe 800 class will be returned to the lesser and eventually sent to a railroad in Mexico . The railroad is supposed to be returning the even numbered units from 800 to 852 except for the 812. So far these are not listed in the computer to move, but the source that I got this from is sure about it. When these engines were delivered to the Santa Fe in 1992, the even numbered units were delivered first so these are the oldest on the system. Many of them have been repainted into Heritage 2 paint and some of them into the new Heritage Logo scheme (swoosh or power bar or Heritage 4 or Bold image or whatever else you want to call it). BNSF has 134 of the 152 of these units stored at the Commerce Intermodal Facility in Los Angeles . The rest of them are stored elsewhere across the system. From another source, the remaining Dash 8-40CWs in the 800 to 867 original group will be returned to the lesser this year. In addition the Dash 8-40 BWs numbered from 560 to 582 will be returned to the lesser this year too.
warbonnets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 11:48 AM   #2
chuckman

That stinks! I never even got to shoot one of them! Oh well.

My photos on flickr...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/53728467@N08/
chuckman is offline   Reply With Quote