Old 05-09-2011, 03:25 PM   #1
N. Herring

Default Bad Color -- Any way to fix it?

Got this shot nabbed for Bad Color

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...d=929609&key=0

I thought it looked good on the computer, do I just mess with the temperature to fix it or is it done for

Railpics
Railvids
Youtube
N. Herring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 03:37 PM   #2
troy12n
Banned

This is one of those wild goose chase rejections the screener sent you on. You will fix the color and then get another rejection, fix it, and then get another rejection and so on. This shot has many flaws and ultimately I think will not be accepted because mainly lighting. So my suggestion is to not bother editing it anymore.

For whatever reason, screeners reject for something silly like color when the will never accept it due to something else fatal like lighting (in this case). They really do the end user (us) a disservice by doing this.
troy12n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 03:54 PM   #3
N. Herring

Thanks Troy, I will try that shot again if i figure out when the better sun angle for it

Railpics
Railvids
Youtube
Old 05-09-2011, 04:00 PM   #4
JRMDC

Well, it might be recoverable, and, even if not for RP, you can learn a lot, because the processing job you did on it was pretty poor. Color is terrible, skies are blue not purple, underexposed, poorly cropped, poorly sharpened. So at least mess around with it so you learn what you are doing.

Here is one take on it, not saying the best. Still has a flavor of harsh mid-day light.

I removed a bunch of red and a touch of green, I cropped, I leveled, I sharpened, I changed exposure. All the standard stuff one needs to learn to do, all not done well here.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1255b.jpg (194.0 KB, 105 views)

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 05:23 PM   #5
N. Herring

Thanks for the advice J. I am still getting used to working with Raw images. Have previously used JPG, it was easy to fix, but with raw its a whole new ballgame for me

Railpics
Railvids
Youtube
Old 05-09-2011, 05:41 PM   #6
JRMDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by N. Herring View Post
Thanks for the advice J. I am still getting used to working with Raw images. Have previously used JPG, it was easy to fix, but with raw its a whole new ballgame for me
No problem, glad you took the feedback positively.

As info, not just badgering!, you can still do the things in jpg that you did before, that part of all this has not changed. Of course, my changes were to a jpg file, I didn't have your raw. But for sure, looking at color balance is a lot easier to do in raw.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
Old 05-10-2011, 04:22 PM   #7
N. Herring

I will rework the picture and post it here and put what I did, and hopefully get some pointers on what to do next time

so you can look at the raw conversion i will leave it as an attachment

Here is the cropped final version with nothing done but a crop and resize to 1024x622

Name:  IMG_4478.jpg
Views: 126
Size:  467.6 KB

Any tips?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg raw conversion.jpg (305.7 KB, 70 views)

Railpics
Railvids
Youtube

Last edited by N. Herring; 05-10-2011 at 05:03 PM. Reason: adding attachments
Old 05-10-2011, 05:32 PM   #8
barnstormer

Send a message via Skype™ to barnstormer

This one almost doesn't seem in focus. It also is not very clear.

See my shots on Railpictures
See my shots on RRpicturearchives
barnstormer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 05:54 PM   #9
coborn35

OOF. You just missed this one.
I personally have had a problem with those trying to tell us to turn railroad photography into an "art form." It's fine for them to do so, I welcome it in fact, but what I do have a problem with is that the practitioners of the more "arty" shots, I have found, tend to look down their nose's at others who are shooting more "mundane" shots.
Railroad photography is what you make of it, but one way is not "better" than another, IMHO. Unless you have a pole right thought the nose of the engine! -SG
coborn35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 06:23 PM   #10
troy12n
Banned

No way, it's soft or out of focus, can you not see that? Also the same lighting defects exist.
troy12n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 07:12 PM   #11
N. Herring

Quote:
Originally Posted by troy12n View Post
No way, it's soft or out of focus, can you not see that? Also the same lighting defects exist.
I realize that i did not sharpen it. I was just showing what I did not caring about it for RP, I am trying to get the raw processing done right

Railpics
Railvids
Youtube
Old 05-11-2011, 10:25 AM   #12
mark woody

My go, cropped, adjusted levels, removed colour cast, sharpenned lots, don't think it will make it though.

Last edited by mark woody; 05-27-2014 at 10:49 AM.
mark woody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 11:03 AM   #13
milwman
I shoot what I like

Send a message via Yahoo to milwman

Here what I did. Hope this helps.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4478help copy.jpg (649.2 KB, 88 views)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/22299476@N05/
milwman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 12:58 PM   #14
coborn35

Quote:
I realize that i did not sharpen it. I was just showing what I did not caring about it for RP, I am trying to get the raw processing done right
Before you think about processing you need to take a good crisp picture. This one is not.
I personally have had a problem with those trying to tell us to turn railroad photography into an "art form." It's fine for them to do so, I welcome it in fact, but what I do have a problem with is that the practitioners of the more "arty" shots, I have found, tend to look down their nose's at others who are shooting more "mundane" shots.
Railroad photography is what you make of it, but one way is not "better" than another, IMHO. Unless you have a pole right thought the nose of the engine! -SG
Old 05-11-2011, 03:36 PM   #15
N. Herring

I knew it didnt have a snowballs chance in hell for RP I am just trying to learn people sheesh

Railpics
Railvids
Youtube
Old 05-11-2011, 03:44 PM   #16
coborn35

So take peoples advice then...
Old 05-12-2011, 01:29 AM   #17
DWHonan

Default Working with raw

Quote:
Originally Posted by coborn35 View Post
So take peoples advice then...
So why not offer some constructive criticism to help him out?

Nathan, the key to working with raw images is that you have to recreate the level of processing that you're accustomed to seeing in the jpgs your camera creates. The benefits of the raw format are that you don't let the camera think for you, you don't lose data from jpg compression and you gain greater flexibility to "save" images that may not have been properly exposed.

To practice your processing, try using your camera in jpg+raw mode (assuming such a feature exists on your body) and don't worry about capturing railroad subjects; just go out in pleasant light and capture interesting compositions with a range of colors/textures/etc. to have something decent to work from. Play with various processing tools to see what changes make the raw image appear closer to jpg's look/feel. In raw processing, I generally make a minor temperature adjustment (I find my 5D runs a little hot, so to speak), work with brightness and exposure to adjust the lighting level, use some recovery or fill light if needed, and adjust blacks and contrast values until I find something pleasing. At that point I bring the image into PSE for rotating, cropping, levels adjustment, saturation and sharpening (along with perhaps a few other things if need be, but those are the basics). I save a TIF at that point, then work from that file to create web-sized images for Flickr and/or RP.

There's certainly some science to this, but a lot of it is art, figuring out what feels best to your eye and then seeking feedback from a larger audience to see if your end result is insufficient, appealing or overboard. Do this for a bit and you'll find that your first effort -- the one at the top of this thread which "looked good" to you -- is actually quite lackluster.

As always, there are lots of web tutorials for more specifics on processing images; do some searching, find somebody whose writing you enjoy, and give it a go.
View my portfolio at Flickr Not quite so new anymore!
DWHonan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 01:38 AM   #18
milwman
I shoot what I like

Send a message via Yahoo to milwman

Quote:
I knew it didnt have a snowballs chance in hell for RP I am just trying to learn people sheesh
In a way its not all bad. Just to side lit, With a long lens shot you will need a F stop of F 9 or more and the best way is to lock the AF to the spot you going to shoot it at. You can't trust the camera to pick it!!!!!!!! After you start to out think the camera you will get more shots in!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/22299476@N05/
milwman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 04:10 AM   #19
N. Herring

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWHonan View Post
So why not offer some constructive criticism to help him out?

Nathan, the key to working with raw images is that you have to recreate the level of processing that you're accustomed to seeing in the jpgs your camera creates. The benefits of the raw format are that you don't let the camera think for you, you don't lose data from jpg compression and you gain greater flexibility to "save" images that may not have been properly exposed.

To practice your processing, try using your camera in jpg+raw mode (assuming such a feature exists on your body) and don't worry about capturing railroad subjects; just go out in pleasant light and capture interesting compositions with a range of colors/textures/etc. to have something decent to work from. Play with various processing tools to see what changes make the raw image appear closer to jpg's look/feel. In raw processing, I generally make a minor temperature adjustment (I find my 5D runs a little hot, so to speak), work with brightness and exposure to adjust the lighting level, use some recovery or fill light if needed, and adjust blacks and contrast values until I find something pleasing. At that point I bring the image into PSE for rotating, cropping, levels adjustment, saturation and sharpening (along with perhaps a few other things if need be, but those are the basics). I save a TIF at that point, then work from that file to create web-sized images for Flickr and/or RP.

There's certainly some science to this, but a lot of it is art, figuring out what feels best to your eye and then seeking feedback from a larger audience to see if your end result is insufficient, appealing or overboard. Do this for a bit and you'll find that your first effort -- the one at the top of this thread which "looked good" to you -- is actually quite lackluster.

As always, there are lots of web tutorials for more specifics on processing images; do some searching, find somebody whose writing you enjoy, and give it a go.
Thanks Dave, this is the kind of help I am looking for, I appreciate it.

Railpics
Railvids
Youtube
Old 05-12-2011, 11:44 AM   #20
JimThias

Quote:
Thanks Troy, I will try that shot again if i figure out when the better sun angle for it
May I suggest this website to aid in your research?

http://suncalc.net

This pretty much sums it up: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Thias
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 01:11 PM   #21
Hatchetman
Part-Time Railfan

It takes a fair bit of work to get a RAW file to look as good as a JPEG right out of my 5D. I only shoot RAW when it's something special or a shot I can't go back and redo. I just don't have the time to spend on it. I much prefer taking the pictures than sitting in front of a computer all night long messing with processing software. I sit in front of a computer all day long at work.....

Nathan, are you shooting in manual? What do you have the focus point set at? That picture should be in better focus than it is. I think sometimes a camera's auto setting prefers that nothing is in focus rather than something.
Hatchetman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 01:19 PM   #22
JRMDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatchetman View Post
It takes a fair bit of work to get a RAW file to look as good as a JPEG right out of my 5D. I only shoot RAW when it's something special or a shot I can't go back and redo. I just don't have the time to spend on it. I much prefer taking the pictures than sitting in front of a computer all night long messing with processing software. I sit in front of a computer all day long at work.....
"fair bit of work" why? If the shot has standard daytime lighting, I find it fairly trivial to open up the file, the automatic settings in Camera Raw are pretty close, just a bit of tweak, then crop, make a few adjustments, resize, sharpen, done. In general I only take a lot of time in software if a) I am doing rotation and perspective correction, it can be tricky to coordinate those two, or b) if I have a difficult lighting situation. a) applies equally to raw and jpg

J

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
Old 05-12-2011, 01:48 PM   #23
Hatchetman
Part-Time Railfan

In my personal experience, if you take a raw file, move a couple of sliders, and save as JPEG the odds are it won't be any better than the camera conversion. Now that could be 1)the camera does an excellent job most of the time, or 2)I'm incompetent. more than likely a combination of the two.

No doubt that RAW gives you much greater ability to adjust things. Which is why I would shoot in RAW if it were something important, like if I were getting paid or doing a favor for a friend, etc. Just messing around by the pool or walking around town, it's not worth it to me.

If I take 50 shots in an afternoon, assume 3 minutes per to process, save and back up RAW files. that's over two hours of intense computer time. No thanks.
Hatchetman is offline   Reply With Quote