Old 10-26-2011, 02:53 AM   #26
troy12n
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbassloyd View Post
2758 and 8865 are still in CR paint, albeit in storage at HLS. Technically you could still photograph them, so the official count is 2.

Pretty amazing how fast they can do something when they want to. I'm still miffed they painted 4617 only to retire it soon after..

Loyd L.
Didnt hear they retired 4617. But it doesnt surprise me. CSX repainted a bunch of the conrail B36-7's, all the B23-7R's, all the C39-8's and at least 2 C36-7's and then promptly retired them. Still a bunch of really nicely painted GE's sitting in the deadline in Waycross...

I guess NS now has the title of most rag-tag fleet out there. Those ex-CNW SD60's they have running around in UP paint and all the leasers certainly add some flavor I guess
troy12n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 03:02 AM   #27
bigbassloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by troy12n View Post
Didnt hear they retired 4617. But it doesnt surprise me.
Not only retired, but sitting at Cumberland getting cannibalized. There was interest by a certain historical society to acquire it, but it'll be picked clean and melted I figure. And so it goes...

Loyd L.

My personal photography site
bigbassloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 04:03 PM   #28
nikos1

Here's the untold story about the 4617, take it for what you will, this what I was told.
The painting of the unit was pretty much a revenge kill by the Waycross shop when they found out that their flag unit, the Seaboard System painted 2667 was to get a new cab and repainted at Huntington. So Waycross got a hold of the 4617 and repainted it, I've heard there were some higher ups that were pretty unhappy about the unit being repainted since it had a very limited future. As far as preservation, theres nothing all that special about it really, the only thing that made it unique was its ancient paintjob before it got YN3'ed, and that alone doesnt make it preservation worthy. As for CSX donating anything, yeah good luck with that.....

Wedge shots of blue HLCX SD60's http://www.railpictures.net/showphotos.php?userid=7861

More wedge shots of blue HLCX SD60's http://nikos1.rrpicturearchives.net/

Video wedge shots of blue HLCX SD60's
http://youtube.com/profile?user=nikosjk1
nikos1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 08:37 PM   #29
PLEzero

CSXT 2758 and 8865 are the last remaining Conrail painted units on the system. As noted above they are both stored at Huntington. There are 43 remaining on NS. Get'em while you can.
My RP.net Photos
PLEzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 01:22 AM   #30
Bryan Jones

Quote:
Originally Posted by troy12n View Post
CSX repainted a bunch of the conrail B36-7's, all the B23-7R's, all the C39-8's and at least 2 C36-7's and then promptly retired them. Still a bunch of really nicely painted GE's sitting in the deadline in Waycross...
They repainted only a few of the above mentioned units. 1 out of 4 B23-S7R's, 4 out of 23 B36-7's, 1 out of 25 C36-7's and 4 out of 9 C39-8's. Most of the repainted units lasted a while before retirement with the exception of the B23-S7R which went quickly. All of the large railroads have repainted locomotives which didn't last long on the roster following repaint, its not unique to CSX.

Bryan Jones
Brooks,KY
Bryan Jones is offline   Reply With Quote