Old 10-28-2013, 03:00 AM   #51
Dennis A. Livesey

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnumForce View Post
You are missing that part of what I said and I bet that everyone of those guys that you quoted would agree with the quoted text above

Shooting in RAW helps exposure, and color balance. It does nothing for composition, sharpness, depth of field, cropping, motion blur, or essentially anything else.
It is not a magic bullet and cannot make lemonade from lemons.

My personal advice is put the thing in "P" at ISO 100 and learn composition before you worry about anything else at all. Once you do that learn about FStop and Shutter speed and depth of field and how to use them and how they all correlate with each other. But you can learn all that till you are blue in the face and it will not matter at all if you cannot compose an interesting and striking scene.

So again, shoot RAW if you want, but without everything else you will not gain anything at all from it. Heck I argue that if you shoot things only on sunny days and right to begin with, at 1024 or 1200 Pixels wide shooting in RAW doesn't gain you anything at all. But I know I am on the minority in that statement.
This is great advice.

RAW is just part of the process the same as ISO or f/stops so follow the above words.

The "deep" part is not what you are doing now. It's where you are when you have learned the skills of a good photographer.

I Foam Therefore I Am.

My pix on RailPics:

I am on Flickr as well:

"Dennis is such a God, he could do that with a camera obscura and some homemade acetate." Holloran Grade

"To me it looks drawn in in Paintshop. It looks like a puddle of orange on the sky." SFO777
Dennis A. Livesey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 03:09 AM   #52
CSX1702

I did decide to make a Flickr too.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/106668245@N04/

Nothing spectacular. No train shots either so far. Lol.

Flickr

Out Of Place Album
CSX1702 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 03:39 AM   #53
sd9

Quote:
Unless you know how to use it, I see no compelling reason to shoot in RAW and I don't think you will gain anything by doing so.
does anybody use a grey card?
sd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 03:06 PM   #54
troy12n
Banned

Quote:
Shooting in RAW helps exposure, and color balance.
Actually it's main purpose is for preserving all details the sensor captures, so you can better modify the photo later, that's really ALL it does. If you are starting from a jpeg, a SIGNIFICANT amount of detail is lost and irrecoverable before you even start editing.

Quote:
It does nothing for composition, sharpness, depth of field, cropping, motion blur, or essentially anything else.
I am gonna disagree with you on the sharpness aspect, everything else in the statement is valid.

Quote:
It is not a magic bullet and cannot make lemonade from lemons.
True, and done improperly, they can actually look worse.

Quote:
My personal advice is put the thing in "P" at ISO 100 and learn composition before you worry about anything else at all.
That's horrible advice. If he is going to use an automatic mode, with a fairly modern DSLR, he should be setting it at 200 or 400. If he puts it at 100, the camera is going to force him to a slower shutter speed or wider aperture which is going to produce less than stellar results. If you are going to use an auto mode, my suggestion would be shutter priority (Tv) and set it at 1/500...

Quote:
Once you do that learn about FStop and Shutter speed and depth of field and how to use them and how they all correlate with each other. But you can learn all that till you are blue in the face and it will not matter at all if you cannot compose an interesting and striking scene.
Or learn about it first, or learn about composition first and just use shutter priority...

Quote:
So again, shoot RAW if you want, but without everything else you will not gain anything at all from it. Heck I argue that if you shoot things only on sunny days and right to begin with, at 1024 or 1200 Pixels wide shooting in RAW doesn't gain you anything at all. But I know I am on the minority in that statement.
He should use RAW no matter what mode he is using, it cant hurt.
troy12n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 02:13 AM   #55
JimThias

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSX1702 View Post
I did decide to make a Flickr too.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/106668245@N04/

Nothing spectacular. No train shots either so far. Lol.
Clicked "+Follow."

Quote:
Originally Posted by sd9 View Post
There is an endless supply of "gray cards" along railroad tracks in the form of little rocks called "ballast."
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 02:25 AM   #56
CSX1702

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimThias View Post
Clicked "+Follow."
Thank you, sir. Lol. I returned the favor.

Flickr

Out Of Place Album

Last edited by CSX1702; 10-29-2013 at 02:33 AM.
CSX1702 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 02:25 AM   #57
Dennis A. Livesey

Quote:
Originally Posted by sd9 View Post
I used to used them for my boss the cinematographer when I worked in the movies. Usually they were a pain to set up and shoot because of the time pressure. So we dropped using grey cards and since the lab timers were so good we didn't really need them.

I tried using them for trains in Kodachrome days but I never got off my butt to really compare my handheld light meter vs the camera's meter. So my shots with the grey card and the handheld light meter always came out too dark.

The metering and white balance in today's digital camera's is so good, anything is an easy fix in processing. IMHO.

I Foam Therefore I Am.

My pix on RailPics:

I am on Flickr as well:

"Dennis is such a God, he could do that with a camera obscura and some homemade acetate." Holloran Grade

"To me it looks drawn in in Paintshop. It looks like a puddle of orange on the sky." SFO777
Dennis A. Livesey is offline   Reply With Quote