Old 05-31-2008, 12:09 PM   #1
River Rails Photography
Banned

Send a message via AIM to River Rails Photography
Default Most Embarrasing Moment Trackside?

What was the most embarrasing thing that has happened to you trackside/ Mine would have to be urinating when a train was coming....................yep

Whats yours?
River Rails Photography is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 09:21 PM   #2
Christopher Muller

By far backing on to a roadway to turn around... only to find that flash flooding rains from the weeks before washed out a culvert. Sure enough in a mad dash to get to the next train, I backed over the washed out culvert and the road collapsed about a foot and a half. Just enough to make it impossible to get the car out without the assistance of a tow truck.

I've almost been caught draining the lizard before also as you did.
Christopher Muller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 09:33 PM   #3
bigbassloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by River Rails Photography
What was the most embarrasing thing that has happened to you trackside/ Mine would have to be urinating when a train was coming....................yep

Whats yours?
um... did they cut the motors off and coast to sneek up on you?

Loyd L.

My personal photography site
bigbassloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 10:04 PM   #4
WembYard

A couple that I know do a lot of hill walking. One day whilst out on an Alpine mountain the lady needs to visit the rest room, but as these are not generally found halfway up mountains a large bush is chosen. Unfortunately, just as she "settles down" a noise is heard, the bush is right underneath a cable car run
WembYard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 10:05 PM   #5
BNSF_SD40-2B

Send a message via Yahoo to BNSF_SD40-2B

Ive taken sooooooo many leaks when the train was within a mile of me I cant count. I live in a somewhat hilly and curvy region so i can pull it off.

The most embarrasing moment hasnt happend to me, but the train crews on 2 occasions i can imidiately think of. 1....an engineer went to throw a bagged up bunch of papers out to me and when he went to throw the papers flew out of the bag and the wind blew em under the train which tore the shreds outta the now worthless papers. 2...a conductor lined his train to pull cars outta a sidin and after doin so he forgot to line the switch back for his train before reversing. He proceeded to tell the engineer to move back and by the time he realized he forgot to realign the switch it was too late. What made it worse was these cars were loaded coal and the train was reversing down the backside of a hill so in order to stop the train they had to throw it into emergency. Fun stuff!

Honestly I cant say ive had an embarrasing moment while I was by the tracks but ive had plenty bad moments with friends elsewhere....but please keep tellin me your stories!
Old 06-02-2008, 10:22 PM   #6
Andrew Blaszczyk (2)

Send a message via AIM to Andrew Blaszczyk (2) Send a message via Yahoo to Andrew Blaszczyk (2)

While chasing the PRR E8's on the NS Portland Secondary I had a bit of an embarassing moment. We were pacing the train into Slateford Junction the interchange point between NS and the Delaware-Lackawanna where a crew change would take place. We got ahead by a few seconds and threw the car into the gravel parking lot. I jumped out and began running down the street towards another private street which crossed the tracks. As I was running one of the curious homeowners let out their dog. Being more of a dog person than a human person, I knew running at the animal wasn't smart so I started to bail out of my straight line through the grass. As I was running sideways my foot hooked the asphalt where the road's edge was and I went down on my arm and right leg. Mind you almost all of the people in the neighborhood were out of their homes to see what the 15+ cars and train were for which meant a whole lot of laughing. Unfortunately, I missed the shot and all I could do was give the dog's owner/family a dirty look for being so careless.

To go along with the common theme of this thread; I think a couple of the patrons on the Wanamaker, Kempton & Southern charter were given a show as they walked down the right of way and I was standing against a tree going about my business (if they glanced down the hill). Oh well, they shouldn't have walked away from the photoline!

"My camera is an artistic medium, not a tool of terrorism."

www.ab2photography.com Coming soon!
My photos on RailPictures:
http://www.railpictures.net/showphotos.php?userid=960
Andrew Blaszczyk (2) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 10:42 PM   #7
ken45
LA&SL Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Blaszczyk (2)
Oh well, they shouldn't have walked away from the photoline!
So the secret to AB2's success is out! All those great shots he got by ditching the photoline were not, in fact, strokes of genius but actually only possible due to him answering nature's call!
Old 06-02-2008, 11:20 PM   #8
River Rails Photography
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbassloyd
um... did they cut the motors off and coast to sneek up on you?

Loyd L.

No, they blew the horn for me to turn around.......... the police never came back to me again, cause that's my territory......
Old 06-03-2008, 12:44 AM   #9
Christopher Muller

Quote:
Originally Posted by River Rails Photography
No, they blew the horn for me to turn around.......... the police never came back to me again, cause that's my territory......

LOL, marking off your territory
Christopher Muller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 12:59 AM   #10
trainboysd40

Send a message via MSN to trainboysd40

I find it pretty embarassing that I was in the way of a bunch of other photogs when I took this picture, and I was too stupid to realize it at the time...
http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b2.../2816st001.jpg
Obligatory link to shots on RP, HERE
trainboysd40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 01:22 AM   #11
Andrew Blaszczyk (2)

Send a message via AIM to Andrew Blaszczyk (2) Send a message via Yahoo to Andrew Blaszczyk (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken45
So the secret to AB2's success is out! All those great shots he got by ditching the photoline were not, in fact, strokes of genius but actually only possible due to him answering nature's call!
Hahahahahaha! Touche!

Old 06-03-2008, 02:23 AM   #12
TAMR159

Draining the lizard...I think we've all been there. I was on the D&H one time with two fellow RPers, taking a leak in the woods when suddenly the crossing gates started ringing. I ran out and got the shot, only to zip up my fly after taking the shot...rest assured, the crew didn't see anything they didn't want to.

Besides that, the best event I was there for (but not the victim of) was this shot:

Image © Nick Wilson
PhotoID: 219991
Photograph © Nick Wilson

The photographer I was with fell on his ass down the embankment right after I took this shot. A friend of mine was speaking with the engineer just down the line when they stopped, and they were laughing their asses off at "the foamer who fell on his ass down a hill in Batavia".
TAMR159 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 05:32 AM   #13
jdirelan87

First time railfanning the BLE, I met up with a few locals up in the area. While trying to get ahead of the train, a real nice pothole/washout was obscured by the snow and ice on the ground, but don't worry I found it pretty easy when I bottomed out my girlfriend's borrowed car in it.

After getting shots of the BLE changing crews, got the check engine light and noticed that the engine was over heating big time. Almost thought I had got away with but it soon became obvious I cracked the radiator pretty good. Took an hour to drive five miles I had to keep pulling over to allow the car to cool down.

Ended up spending the night on one of the before mentions railfan's couch (whom I had just met that day) because I didn't want to risk blowing out the engine in the middle of nowhere PA at night in February. The next day, took about twice as long to get back to PGH as I had to pull off the highway every 10 mile to top off the radiator.
jdirelan87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 01:20 AM   #14
EMTRailfan

Location: I can be found railfanning the abandoned B&O Northern Sub.

Boy this thread sure livens up a boring shift of not saving lives.

I can't really say that I have any embarrassing moments first hand, but I was witness to one, and then embarrassed that I was guilty by association. My brother, John and I were chasing the BT-3 one of many times on 10/22/07, and we get to the last location that WE will take photos because anywhere after that are those "sensitive" locations. Anyway, John got up in the bed of my truck to gain some elevation. After the BT-3 went by, he decided he would fence vault out of the bed instead of climbing out gracefully. He landed flat on his a$$ in the middle of the road (hence his comment in this photo of mine). Luckly, the crossing gates were still down and traffic was still stopped right there to witness the event too. I saw a few smirks going by as the gates went up. He DID save his camera though, what a pro!

Last edited by EMTRailfan; 06-04-2008 at 02:41 AM.
EMTRailfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 03:17 AM   #15
bigbassloyd

I'm biting... why they are 'sensitive' locations? lol

Loyd L.

My personal photography site
bigbassloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 07:39 AM   #16
Ken Carr
Senior Member: Vegasrails

While out in the desert with a female friend waiting for a westbound train due to lighting, a eastbound passed the DS some how placed both trains on the same main requiring the eastbound to reverse move roughly 2 miles back to a siding. We were four miles behind the eastbound.
During the wait we both became a bit frisky with each other which put us in the bed of the truck parked next to the tracks which I was planning on using as a shooting platform. Needless to say the train crew received an eye full and I missed taking that photo.

See what I do for fun along the rails and in the desert

See some of my slide shows

Click Here to view my photos at RailPictures.Net!
Ken Carr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 10:38 AM   #17
EMTRailfan

Location: I can be found railfanning the abandoned B&O Northern Sub.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbassloyd
I'm biting... why they are 'sensitive' locations? lol

Loyd L.
Not to stoke an old fire, but read this thread. The sensitive locations above are chemical refineries.
Old 06-04-2008, 01:53 PM   #18
MichaelJ
The Photo Journalist

Relieving myself is about as exciting as it gets here ...

I have also had Crews get great amusement from the horn and watching me jump a mile!

The views expressed in this reply are personal and do not represent the views or policy of my employer.
MichaelJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 02:07 PM   #19
travsirocz

Send a message via AIM to travsirocz

Image © Travis Dewitz
PhotoID: 228667
Photograph © Travis Dewitz

Image © Travis Dewitz
PhotoID: 231990
Photograph © Travis Dewitz

On this foggy day (still snow on the ground), I was on a chase to catch this train crossing the Chippewa River. I wanted a good side shot like in the photo on top but the fog was so thick I couldn't even see the bridge. With the train already starting to cross the bridge I had to run, I mean run!, to get down towards the tracks which runs off the bridge and through a cut. In my hurry to get down the hill I slide on the snow untill my foot caught and I did a flip or two landed somewhat upwards at the bottom and kept my camera safe. I think the fog was thick enough so the crew didn't see it but if they did I am sure they had a laugh. Now out of breath and just in time I shot the bottom photo.
travsirocz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 07:16 PM   #20
ken45
LA&SL Fanatic

Thankfully, I have been spared any particularly embarrassing moments trackside, but with all the stories of people being caught with their pants down, I can't resist sharing this one. When I was in college, every few months I would head down to the BNSF at Ellinor to spend the night before railfanning the next day. Truly a special place that had it's own sort of magic at night. Anyway, to me Ellinor was out in the middle of nowhere before I moved to Nevada and truly found out where that was, so the last thing I needed was a bathroom trip, specifically #2.

One fateful spring night, I was planning on heading out when the family had pizza for supper. Naturally, I gorged myself gearing up for the next day of railfanning, then headed out. Well, come about 2am my body was sending me messages I didn't particularly want to hear. I tried to ignore it, but finally it demanded attention. Since I had no clue where the nearest open bathroom was (and probably wouldn't have made it there) I realized that I was going to have to do it in the ditch. In order to not make a bad situation worse, I stripped down before doing my business (did I mention it was about 38 degrees out?). Anyway, after I was done, I was faced with another rather pressing problem, as I didn't have any TP on me! Fortunately I did have some old towels which I tore into strips and they worked well. The trip went fine from then on.

Now why was this embarrasing? Well, at some point in the middle of this episode, the thought hit me that I was glad that A) No one had driven by on the road and seen me and B) No trains had gone by. Well, no sooner had I thought that a horn sounds in the east and here comes one! I just made sure to keep my Blazer between me and the train!
Old 06-04-2008, 08:10 PM   #21
Andrew Blaszczyk (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Carr
While out in the desert with a female friend waiting for a westbound train due to lighting, a eastbound passed the DS some how placed both trains on the same main requiring the eastbound to reverse move roughly 2 miles back to a siding. We were four miles behind the eastbound.
During the wait we both became a bit frisky with each other which put us in the bed of the truck parked next to the tracks which I was planning on using as a shooting platform. Needless to say the train crew received an eye full and I missed taking that photo.
Best one so far!!!

Ah, brings back memories of sitting along the NEC with the ex.

Last edited by Andrew Blaszczyk (2); 06-04-2008 at 08:34 PM.
Old 06-04-2008, 08:33 PM   #22
Andrew Blaszczyk (2)

Okay, I got another although its not as good as some of these gems.

It was last December ('07) and I was staying in Cresson, PA since they were receiving a great deal of snow. I had decided to stay out instead of driving home to take advantage of the white stuff. Naturally, I got a room at a completely empty Station Inn and enjoyed some homemade soup and some train from the dining area. After two days of chasing the Western Maryland Scenic it was nice to kick back and enjoy an endless parade of trains and football! Night fall came along with blizzard conditions. Being a teenage my first thought was "NIGHT SHOTS!". I shut off the TV went into my room and put on my winter gear. With 7" on the ground, I was not going to walk down to the engine facility down Front Street so I started up my trusty Blazer, threw it into 4WD and away I went down the street. Now, I've driven in snow/fog/dark all while chasing a train in PA/MD, but this was BAD. It was 11PM so luckily there were very few cars on the road since the fastest anyone could possibly go on the unplowed roads was 5-7mph. "This is tough but its not impossible" I thought to myself until I went under the NS main and started heading towards Arch St. "Um, where's the turn???" "Did I miss it?" "It should be right here!" I finally stopped and was able to carefully make a K-turn and head back to towards town and familiar territory. With the streetlights shining in my face, snow coming down at a rate of 2" per hour, and winds gusting at 35-45mph, I had to resort to drastic measures to find the turn for Arch Street. So I pulled an Ace Ventura. For those of you who aren't familiar with the reference, I had to roll down my window and stick my head outside to see as well as turn off my headlights which were more of a problem at this point. Needless to say, I was very cold and wet by the time I got back to my room, but I have to admit it was fun.

The following day I woke up to 9" of fresh snow and an inch more in the forecast, so I packed up and headed back to the engine facility since I hadn't stopped the night before (for obvious reasons). I got out and started snapping some shots of a set of power crossing the street when I realized Corman had left a Geep sitting in the yard. I started following a path along the embankment of the abandoned line above Arch St. when I got curious as to what the shot looked like from on top. I took a deep breath and started running for the steep hillside. First step good, second step losing some speed, third step whoops...POOOOF! I got a nice face-full of snow and buried my camera lens in the process. I was hysterically laughing at how ridiculous I must have looked but didn't bother looking around for witnesses. I didn't give up on the hill either but after a few more unsuccessful attempts I walked the length of the embankment.

Old 06-04-2008, 10:13 PM   #23
River Rails Photography
Banned

[quote=Andrew Blaszczyk (2)]....... and buried my camera lens in the process............[quote]

Is the lens okay??? lol, nice story.
Old 06-05-2008, 05:52 PM   #24
John Ryan

Send a message via AIM to John Ryan

Well, there was the time I fell into the mudhole/ditch and lost my shoes and pants .... talk about being 750 miles from home with NO SHOES.
John Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 10:02 PM   #25
Carl Becker

Back before I started driving, my dad and I were out railfanning on the north side of town in the middle of the winter. We were in the middle of a neighborhood on the north side of town and tried to get up a driveway to the track. Well, the driveway looks like a flat road covered with snow, but the snow's actually ~2 feet deep in spots. Needless to say, the car gets stuck. We call for help, and it takes three of us pushing and one driving to get it out. The train passed before we were done, and the camera was still in the car...

Also, on another day, this time in the summer, we were simply wondering around by Forest River (somewhere near this location) and tried to go down a dirt road. While it appeared to be dry, it turned out to be complete slop underneath, and we dug deep wealts into the road by the time we got back onto the pavement. I don't know how we didn't get stuck that day either...

Last edited by Carl Becker; 06-05-2008 at 10:08 PM.
Carl Becker is offline   Reply With Quote