Old 07-19-2009, 01:49 AM   #1
Chris Z

Send a message via Skype™ to Chris Z
Default Just my luck

I drove down to the Mississippi River to catch the 4449 and it just had to be my luck that it was a very cloudy day and it came through on the wrong track. Who would have thought that it would run reverse main to boot. I guess I'll have to try again someday.

Chris Z.

Last edited by Chris Z; 04-01-2010 at 03:15 AM.
Chris Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 03:55 AM   #2
sd9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Z View Post
I drove down to the Mississippi River to catch the 4449 and it just had to be my luck that it was a very cloudy day and it came through on the wrong track. Who would have thought that it would run reverse main to boot. I guess I'll have to try again someday.

Chris Z.
didn't matter for this one! clouds are not always a bad thing
http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=291119

I think if you work on the cropping you might be ok,
Bill
sd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 03:57 AM   #3
Ween

Still looks good...at least you got the experience and got to see it!
Old 07-19-2009, 03:23 PM   #4
Chris Z

I tried submitting it, but just as I thought.

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...d=710310&key=0

Chris
Old 07-19-2009, 03:56 PM   #5
Joe the Photog

I'd go back and post process some more. They're clearly letting some cloudy/common shots of this get it. Try to make the 4449 pop a little more from the background. I like this shot. I think you've got a winner here even if RP still decides to can the shot. I like it; I think it's just as interesting as some of the shots already in the database and moreso than a lot of them.

The real question will be if they ignore the lower part of the wheels being cut off. But that's a bridge you should cross when you get to it. So, go back and process again, then resubmitt. If it doesn't go on, consider a Flickr account or some other way of sharing this one with more foks because it's a worthy shot.
Old 07-19-2009, 04:44 PM   #6
milwman
I shoot what I like

Send a message via Yahoo to milwman

Quote:

Chris Z.
South of East Dubuque,IL they ran main 1 main 2 is normal but had a bad rail?? and or a track rider out looking for it. Ran track 1 to keep it moving. What sucked was I ran my car hard and still was 150 miles to get a head of it. . That was almost as much fun All the cars from the funeral from the DME guys last week jammed Savanna up good as 4449 got their at the same time.

Go for it, Like Joe i think it can get in.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/22299476@N05/

Last edited by milwman; 07-19-2009 at 04:52 PM.
milwman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 04:53 PM   #7
KevinM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog View Post
I'd go back and post process some more. They're clearly letting some cloudy/common shots of this get it. Try to make the 4449 pop a little more from the background. I like this shot. I think you've got a winner here even if RP still decides to can the shot. I like it; I think it's just as interesting as some of the shots already in the database and moreso than a lot of them.

The real question will be if they ignore the lower part of the wheels being cut off. But that's a bridge you should cross when you get to it. So, go back and process again, then resubmitt. If it doesn't go on, consider a Flickr account or some other way of sharing this one with more foks because it's a worthy shot.
I'll second what Joe said. I think with some careful tweaking, the subject could be made to pop a little more. There are plenty of shots on RP that are a lot closer to the fringes than this one.

With the avalanche of shots of this locomotive, the Screeners may have decided to tighten things up a bit. Never the less, work on it some more and give it another go.

My RP stuff is here.

Link to my Flickr Albums. Lots of Steam Railroad stuff there from all over the US.
KevinM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 04:57 PM   #8
Chris Z

Thanks Joe, I'll give it a try. I still have another chance when the train comes back. I'll have to do some more planning for when she comes back.

Chris Z.
Old 07-19-2009, 07:00 PM   #9
Chris Z

Thanks a lot guys. Your encouragement was very helpful and it made it in.

Chris Z.

Image © Chris Zygmunt
PhotoID: 291208
Photograph © Chris Zygmunt
Old 07-19-2009, 07:08 PM   #10
KBSR309

Send a message via Yahoo to KBSR309

Quote:

Chris Z.
Yea I was down there too, Only I took my pictures of the #4449 from the Bridge at Savana with the rest of the bunch. But dont worry, I wont post any of mine, Im sure there not good enough for Railpics...not enough sun, bad crop, too much forground obstructions...ETC...But hey, dont you give up, keep trying!
KBSR309 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 11:35 PM   #11
Chris Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by milwman View Post
South of East Dubuque,IL they ran main 1 main 2 is normal but had a bad rail?? and or a track rider out looking for it. Ran track 1 to keep it moving. What sucked was I ran my car hard and still was 150 miles to get a head of it. . That was almost as much fun All the cars from the funeral from the DME guys last week jammed Savanna up good as 4449 got their at the same time.

Go for it, Like Joe i think it can get in.
That's kind of funny that happened with the track. I took a shot of that track being used not even an hour earlier. Along, with everyone else that was there saying that the 4449 is coming on that track. I heard about the funeral and that's why I chose not to go to Savanna.

Chris Z.

Last edited by Chris Z; 04-01-2010 at 03:31 AM.
Old 07-20-2009, 01:16 AM   #12
Joe the Photog

Quote:
Image © Chris Zygmunt
PhotoID: 291208
Photograph © Chris Zygmunt
I'm glad to see it made the cut. I thought there was some interesting colors going on, the orange in the midst of all the grey, as well as the swampy area down below, not to mention the interesting textures in the clouds. All of this told me you shouldn't give up just yet. Very good work making tasty lemonade out of the lemos you were handed!
Old 07-20-2009, 01:30 AM   #13
Chris Z

Thanks for the encouragement Joe. I wasn't going to pursue this one, especially with a cloudy, common power reject. You made my day.

Chris Z.