Old 05-06-2011, 09:20 PM   #1
Ron H

Default Bad angle

I need some imput on this photo. It was rejected for bad angle. I know it's not about other photo's but I look at other photo's on this site as a guide to what is accepted. So what do you all think about this photo?
Thanks, Ron
http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...&key=247657459
Ron H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 09:43 PM   #2
Freericks
Met Fan

I see three possible reasons for the photo being rejected, but none of them are bad angle. It's not an extreme angle at all.

It's possible the screener hit the wrong rejection button.

I don't think it will get it however for the following three reasons, two of which can potentially be fixed, one of which cannot.

1) There are shadows on the nose and pilot of the locomotive. Because the shot is really only a train shot (not about the scenery) this is likely to be an insurmountable death knell. Generally, for a shot to get in with shadows on the nose it needs to be extremely scenic or of a rare move (or unit) that could not be shot any other way. (In this case, you could have chosen a different angle, shooting from the side of the train, so that the dark side of the nose was not nearly as evident.

2) The image is leaning to the right, needs a CCW rotation.

3) At first glance, it appeared that you were both trespassing and putting yourself in danger. Looking closer, the siding actually appears to be cut, which takes away the danger aspect, but not the trespassing. They will often hit shots like that with a PEQ unless you explain that you were on the property with permission or are a RR employee.
Freericks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 09:47 PM   #3
troy12n
Banned

I'm surprised you didnt get run off standing where you are...

That being said, the picture does not have full nose light, which they usually reject, is a tad overexposed, soft, kinda blah composition.

As you know, that location (inside a rail yard) is not very photogenic. You certainly had other opportunities like near the park, why didnt you try to get it there?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freericks View Post
3) At first glance, it appeared that you were both trespassing and putting yourself in danger. Looking closer, the siding actually appears to be cut, which takes away the danger aspect, but not the trespassing. They will often hit shots like that with a PEQ unless you explain that you were on the property with permission or are a RR employee.
He is standing right in the middle of their yard, but i'm not the trespassing police and dont really care one way or another, except in light of this stupid bin ladden attacks trains propaganda, we dont need idiots ruining it for us. Since this actually IS a spot I personally railfan, I will be pissed if you ruin it for me. If you want to plug it into google earth, he was standing approximately at:
Lat: 2713'7.02"N
Long: 8152'32.45"W

Last edited by troy12n; 05-06-2011 at 09:54 PM.
troy12n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 09:47 PM   #4
oltmannd

It's "Bad angle week"!

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...key=1199988712
oltmannd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 09:59 PM   #5
Ron H

I did have permission to be where I was. I was riding with the crew on the Seminole Gulf Railway's B39-8 and we were in thier Arcadia yard. I shot this with a telephoto lens, perhaps zooming out would of been better to include more of the yard?
Old 05-06-2011, 10:09 PM   #6
troy12n
Banned

That would not have made it much better and would not have helped the lighting conditions any. There are a couple good bridge shots you could have gotten to the north of Arcadia on the Brewster sub. Is that symbol still O804?
Old 05-06-2011, 10:22 PM   #7
Freericks
Met Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron H View Post
I did have permission to be where I was. I was riding with the crew on the Seminole Gulf Railway's B39-8 and we were in thier Arcadia yard. I shot this with a telephoto lens, perhaps zooming out would of been better to include more of the yard?
Zooming out would have helped a great deal.

Explaining in the comments (and the caption for the benefit of the viewers) how you were there is imperative. They won't accept a shot that looks like trespassing to them without that information.
Old 05-06-2011, 10:44 PM   #8
Ron H

As a matter of fact I did get the Caloosahatchee River draw going both north and south from the cab of SGR 590 and 592.
Old 05-06-2011, 10:51 PM   #9
Ron H

Freericks, I'll keep that in mind for next time I take shot from a yard. Thanks
Old 05-06-2011, 10:54 PM   #10
troy12n
Banned

Quote:
Freericks, I'll keep that in mind for next time I take shot from a yard. Thanks
I dont know that it would have helped, there is nothing in that yard but weeds and as you you know, the surrounding neighborhood is not at all photogenic.

Are you a member of the SGLR or FloridaRailroading Yahoo Groups? They sometimes give a heads up when these trains run since it's so unreliable these days. If not, sign up and give a heads up if you know about impending movements.
Old 05-06-2011, 11:40 PM   #11
Freericks
Met Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by troy12n View Post
I dont know that it would have helped, there is nothing in that yard but weeds and as you you know, the surrounding neighborhood is not at all photogenic.

Are you a member of the SGLR or FloridaRailroading Yahoo Groups? They sometimes give a heads up when these trains run since it's so unreliable these days. If not, sign up and give a heads up if you know about impending movements.
Scenery or not, I do think it would have helped, because the wider shot would have allowed him to have less nose and more side.
Old 05-06-2011, 11:45 PM   #12
Chris Z

Send a message via Skype™ to Chris Z

Here's one I personally like but some time ago was also hit for bad angle.

Chris Z
Chris Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 12:04 AM   #13
Freericks
Met Fan

Great image, Chris.
Old 05-07-2011, 01:32 AM   #14
Ron H

Well, here's another bad angle. This was taken just outside the conductor side window of SGR's B39-8 #590 as we started crossing the Caloosahatchee River draw. Ron
http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...d=928814&key=0
Old 05-07-2011, 01:39 AM   #15
DWHonan

Too much dead space on the right. That shot would really work better as a vertical composition.
View my portfolio at Flickr Not quite so new anymore!
DWHonan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 01:49 AM   #16
troy12n
Banned

2 words: vertical crop!

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2109.1304724826 copy.jpg (153.9 KB, 266 views)
Old 05-07-2011, 01:56 AM   #17
Ron H

You are absolutely right. I'll give it a shot. Thanks
Old 05-07-2011, 02:02 AM   #18
troy12n
Banned

Quote:
As a matter of fact I did get the Caloosahatchee River draw going both north and south from the cab of SGR 590 and 592.
There are 2 nice bridge opportunities on the CSX side. One just north of the SGLR interchange yard, and one a few miles up the brewster sub. They are both easily found.
Old 05-07-2011, 02:31 AM   #19
Ron H

The shot does look a lot better. I just hope it dosen't get rejected for bad crop. Thanks
http://www.railpictures.net/viewqueued.php?id=928860
Old 05-07-2011, 02:51 AM   #20
troy12n
Banned

It shouldn't if you followed my guidance. Pay very close attention to what I did...
Old 05-07-2011, 03:46 AM   #21
oltmannd

Quote:
Originally Posted by troy12n View Post
It shouldn't if you followed my guidance. Pay very close attention to what I did...
...except for the unlevel part.
oltmannd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 05:54 AM   #22
coborn35

The first one looks like it is haloing around the engine. Did you use shadow/highlight by chance? If so, might want to tone it down a bit.
I personally have had a problem with those trying to tell us to turn railroad photography into an "art form." It's fine for them to do so, I welcome it in fact, but what I do have a problem with is that the practitioners of the more "arty" shots, I have found, tend to look down their nose's at others who are shooting more "mundane" shots.
Railroad photography is what you make of it, but one way is not "better" than another, IMHO. Unless you have a pole right thought the nose of the engine! -SG
coborn35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 08:24 AM   #23
DWHonan

Quote:
The shot does look a lot better. I just hope it dosen't get rejected for bad crop. Thanks
http://www.railpictures.net/viewqueued.php?id=928860
For your future reference, other users cannot view your queued images, only those which have been accepted into or rejected from the database.
View my portfolio at Flickr Not quite so new anymore!
DWHonan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 11:05 AM   #24
troy12n
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by oltmannd View Post
...except for the unlevel part.
Yea, except for that, needs about .5 CCW
Old 05-08-2011, 12:55 PM   #25
Ron H

Thanks to troy12n and all the others for the help with my shot. Even though with
troy12n's suggestion, it still came back with the bad angle thing so I waited till the next morning, corrected the horizontal level and resubmited the image. There must of been a different screener and wala, it got accepted. Thanks again. Ron
http://www.railpictures.net/viewphot...362688&nseq=28