Old 08-26-2005, 12:39 AM   #1
bnsf sammy

Default help with 2 rejects

This reject was rejected for poor cropping. Should I crop out the right side where all that lumber is?
http://www.railpictures.net/viewreject.php?id=158997
This one was rejected for bad cropping and Obstructing Objects (Foreground Clutter). But I can see its a little blurry, but I can sharpen that up in Photoshop.
http://www.railpictures.net/viewreject.php?id=158995

Thank you for any help in advance.
Old 08-26-2005, 02:31 AM   #2
Mustang11

As far as the first one goes I think they might have been looking at the fact part of the BN loco is cropped on the bottom. The fact those are the only two in the shot might be what got it that. If its in the original shot, including all of it and cropping just below the engine would make it work. It is a nice shot though especially from in a car.

Unfortunately for the second the cars do distract from the engines. Crossings are always tricky especially with frequent traffic. Perhaps trying another angle or even at night would work well. I tried the following one at night and didn't plan for the suv to be there.

http://railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=105220

I also though of the night shot idea cause the overhead lights look nice in the dark too... Try working on that first one though cause I think its worth a shot and maybe go back for the second. Good luck!

My RailPictures.net Photos -- My fotopic.net Photos
Graphic Design & Photography portfolio site
Mustang11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2005, 03:16 AM   #3
bigcman

You can take my advice whatever way you want to, as I only have eight photos here. I don't see them taking the second shot, as it has a few things working against it. The first is that the cars are a bit of a distraction, plus it appears the dreaded high sun angle may be working against you, as the lower part of the second engine is shadowed. Also, they don't seem to like front coupled shots unless they are of something rare.

I really liked the first shot, and I agree with what Mustang 11 had to say, you should try to include the entire BN engine at the bottom if it is in the original. You could possibly sharpen it up a tiny bit as well. I do like the yard-city-stadium combination though.

Even if you can't get the first shot on here, just remember that a Railpictures.net reject doesn't neccesarily mean it is a bad picture. While there are certainly any number of quality pictures on the site, I'm confident you've browsed the forums and seen some rejects that you liked that didn't make it for whatever reason.

I hope this helps.
bigcman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2005, 04:33 AM   #4
bnsf sammy

Thank you for the help. However, the reason that the BN engine is cropped is because the front of it is blocked by the gardrail of the bridge!
Old 08-26-2005, 01:13 PM   #5
LAHDPOP

Those pictures are both great for your personal collection.
LAHDPOP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2005, 02:49 PM   #6
bnsf sammy

yes, and the admin. agrees.
Old 08-27-2005, 04:29 PM   #7
jweber33

With the first shot, not only do I hope you weren't driving but also the camera is a little fuzzy. I love the idea though.

The second shot has got to be 1,000 to 1. D Street (and that part of Encinitas) should be avoided for picture-taking. My suggestion would be to go up to Leucadia, where the tracks parallel Coast Highway 101 and Vulcan Street. The right-of-way in Encinitas is way too narrow.
jweber33 is offline   Reply With Quote