Old 10-03-2009, 03:26 PM   #1
AC185

Default Am I almost there?

Hello All,

I am fairly new to railpictures.net and as of yet do not have any photos in the database. I have attempted to upload a few but have been rejected due to some fairly common issues such as poor lighting, bad cropping etc. I have attatched a photo and am wondering if any of you can comment on if I am almost there in regards to the post processing. My post processing consists of changing the raw to a .tiff and then making adjustments such as straighten and level, cropping, levels, shadows, highlights, resizing and sharpening. Any help would be greatly appreciated and your comments most welcome.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	via912test.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	765.6 KB
ID:	4698  
AC185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 03:54 PM   #2
Wizzo

Hi

Composition looks fine to me. Loco looks sharp enough - in fact the bottom left may be a touch oversharpened, but I might be wrong. It was shot in what looks like high sun conditions, but you chose a high angle so may get away with that.

Welcome to the gang

Press here to see my pics on railpictures.net

More pics here D1059 on Flickr
Wizzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 04:54 PM   #3
wds

The loco looks a tad washed out because of the sun angle, maybe give it just a smidge more saturation. Don't go by the blue as it changes apparent color with every changing nuance of light and here the sun is glaring off the upper slope of the nose and not doing you any favors. Look at the yellow stripes, they need to be a bit richer, more gold than yellow. Not much though, just a wee bit.
Image © W. D. Shaw
PhotoID: 295892
Photograph © W. D. Shaw
Old 10-03-2009, 08:12 PM   #4
asis80

Send a message via AIM to asis80

I agree with wds, a little bit of work with your color and you should be golden, haha. Pun intended (to wds' last comment). Wizzo, I think the attachment viewer gives attached images a pixelated look when we view them.

Ben
Old 10-03-2009, 08:35 PM   #5
Wizzo

Quote:
Originally Posted by asis80 View Post
I agree with wds, a little bit of work with your color and you should be golden, haha. Pun intended (to wds' last comment). Wizzo, I think the attachment viewer gives attached images a pixelated look when we view them.

Ben
I agree, I was trying to make allowances for that and the fact I'm viewing it on a little 10" Netbook screen. I just thought the bottom left looked unnaturally sharp compared to the rest.

As you say, no big problems that a bit of work with PS or equivalent wouldn't fix

Press here to see my pics on railpictures.net

More pics here D1059 on Flickr
Wizzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 03:21 AM   #6
Joe the Photog
A dude with a camera

I don't see the high sun so much, esp. from the shadows. The colors might be a tad dull, I don't know. The shot may be a bit too sharp though. I'm not sure how true to the original these attachments are.
Old 10-04-2009, 07:30 AM   #7
Watain
-_-

Send a message via MSN to Watain

The sun is actually on the nose, it just looks like a cloud my have darkened it up a bit.
Watain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 02:17 PM   #8
lock4244

Nothing to add, but are you local to the Newcastle area? Lovekin is one of my hangouts and I usually pass through once per weekend.

Image © Mike Lockwood
PhotoID: 228940
Photograph © Mike Lockwood

Insert witty comment here

Hot girl on girl action here!

More Pics Here
lock4244 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 04:34 PM   #9
AC185

Hey Mike,

Yeah I guess you can say that I am local to the Newcastle area, only live about 8km away and only 13 away from Newtonville. Probably the best spot in the region that you have pictured above is under 10km. Thanks for all the info, and I do agree that the photo is probably a tad oversharpened. I did an initial sharpening at 75% then resized and then sharpened again at 50% using unsharpen mask. Is anyone out there willing to share their sharpening settings?
AC185 is offline   Reply With Quote