Old 09-13-2003, 01:41 AM   #51
Bob

Default What Kind of camera

I use Olympus digitals, a C2100uz, and an E20n.

Bob

"May the saddest days of your future be no worse than the happiest days of your past"

Click Here to view my photos at RailPictures.Net!
Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2003, 05:27 AM   #52
TimChgo9

Send a message via Yahoo to TimChgo9
Default New Camera

Well, in my post about what's in my bag, I had included a Fuji Fine Pix 1300 as my digital... well that has changed. I had a brief fling with a Fuji Fine Pix 2650 which works welll, and takes a great photo, and with the 3x optical zoom, it's not a bad camera. Well, that has been replaced by the Fuji Fine Pix S5000, which, is one great camera, for a mid level digital. It takes photos up to 6.0 Megapixels,(although, the box says it's a 3.1 Megapixel camera, it says something about 6 million recorded pixels, and 3.1 million effective pixels... go figure) has a 10x zoom, and 2.2x digital zoom. Settings for shooting in low light, and it has different settings available for focus (manual, automatic, and continuous automatic.) and can shoot black and white. It has an auto mode, and a couple of different programmed modes, as well as a manual mode where you can change shutter and aperture settings. In addition, it has a lens retainer ring that can accept two different telephoto lenses made by Fuji for the S3800, S5000 and S7000. I was out experimenting with it after work today, and will post some shots later in the week. For the price (and i got mine as a gift) it is a great camera, and takes good, sharp photos with excellent color. If you want a better camera, but can't afford a high end, this may be worth checking out.

"Stupid should hurt"

"Better to remain silent, and have people assume you are an idiot, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt."

"Listen with your ears, not with your mouth."

TimChgo9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2003, 05:18 PM   #53
Bob

The camera doesn't "take" the picture, it holds the picture until it's processed. This applies to all cameras. The photographer "takes", that is "sees" the picture, and, with enough practice, know how to use to camera to properly capture the instant. In other words, the way to Carnegie Hall is practice, practice, practice.

Old 09-26-2003, 11:04 PM   #54
TimChgo9

Bob.

You're right, actually, getting the right photo takes some patience, and also knowing your subject, taking care to note of lighting, in the case of out door pictures, noting the sun's position, and finding the right place to shoot from. When I go out shooting pictures, and it's a new place, I use my camera to check "angles" and find the best place to shoot from, and I also use both telephoto, and wide angle lenses, and in the case of my S5000, the zoom feature, I find a "frame" for my picture and wait for the train to pass through the area I have selected and snap the photo. That method works best for me. Just whipping out the camera and pressing the shutter button resulted in plenty of wasted rolls of film on my part. (I'll never forget the first time I took out that Minolta, with a four pack of film, and in two days, managed to shoot four over or under exposed rolls worth of pictures) Now, with digital cameras, it's nice to be able to "edit" myself out there "in the field" as opposed to waiting for a roll of film to come back.

My uncle is a free lance nature photographer, and he has given me some help as far as technique. My oldest brother shoots fire scenes, and fire trucks and he has helped as well.

"Stupid should hurt"

"Better to remain silent, and have people assume you are an idiot, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt."

Old 09-26-2003, 11:22 PM   #55
Bob

The word photography means "paint with light". Therefore, in my opinion, the best thing we can do, as photographers, is learn to read the light.

Old 10-02-2003, 02:58 AM   #56
Martin K. O'Toole

Default Pilgrimage through Emulsion based Photography

My camera history is a jagged one. I began seriously using a family Kodak of unknown model that was limited to 1/30 and 1/80 shutter speed. It didn’t do too badly and was a clear improvement over the previous box cameras in 127 and 620. I then borrowed an Argus C3 rangefinder 35mm. The focusing gear would slip and shots thought to be in focus often were not with disastrous results. Additionally, I was reading too much Lucius Beebe and thought that high shutter speeds and wide open apertures were the thing. Fatal combo for many shots!

Finally in October, 1968 I progressed into the then modern age getting a Honeywell Pentax H1a. That served exceedingly well - particularly compared to previous equipment - that I was satisfied for quite some time. I did add a Yashica Mat 124 for B&W work in 1970 and used it regularly in conjunction with the Pentax for most of the 1970s. In 1974 I tried using a Crown Graphic 4x5, but decided I wasn’t good enough in the dark room to make it more useful than the Yashica.

The Pentax died on an Alco pilgromage to Mingo Junction in 1978 and was replaced with a Pentax MX. I used my now standard 28 mm lenses, 50 or 55 mm (forget which) and a 70-210 (or so) zoom. The Pentax MX set was the best I had to date and, while fully manual, was easy to work.

Unfortunately, an office I was working in was burglarized in about 1985 and the Pentax vanished. I had fallen onto economic hard times as well and was reduced to the Pentax K1000 and similar lenses. They were less satisfactory than the MX, but I was back in school for post-grad work and didn’t get track side as often.

Upon escape in 1989 I immediately celebrated by getting a Canon EOS 630 with standard lens, 35 to 135 mm zoom and 70-210 mm zoom. This was my standard until 1997 when I finally made a decision I had been playing with for nearly 20 years. Several friends who were outstanding photographers used the Bronica series of 2 1/4" SLRs with absolutely eye-popping results. Steinheimer, if I recall aright, stated in an article in Rail Classics he often used a Bronica as well. One of my Bronica friends, however, had shifted to Hasselblad. Steinheimer claims the Hasselblads will not hold up in the field with the kind of abuse railfans heap on them. Never the less, I melted my charge card and got the Hasselblad. I have now added the Varigon 140 - 280mm, Distagon 50 mm, Planar 80mm and an ancient, albeit mint, Sonnar 250mm. (Keep in mind that 120 converts to 35mm at the rate of 8/5 so the 80mm standard is about the same as the 50mm in 35.) So far I have avoided destroying the Hasselblad and have had some shots (I usually shot slides) that are eminently satisfactory.

The Canon is on the verge of disintegration, so I have augmented my 35mm with the Nikon F5, standard 50 mm lens, AF-S Nikkor 24-85mm and the workhorse AF VR Nikkor 80-400mm.

Film: I used Agfachrome 50 almost exclusively in the late 1960s to mid 1970s. However, it now shows a distinct purplish shift. That bad ole Kodak, particularly Kodachrome, still looks great. I occasionally get some Fuji, but presently like the looks the E100VS and E100G that Kodak has in both 35 mm and 120. The final inspiration for the Hasselblad was the excellent results I got shooting some 120 on the C&C on a steam trip. I used Kodak Kodachrome and was stunned by the projected results. Of course, when I got the Hasselblad I found exactly one roll of Kodachrome in 120 as it was a short-lived experiment and was dropped. E-6 is my only real option and I have become reconciled to it.

I suspect I have made my last major emulsion-based purchase. Of interest to me now is getting the feed back on the best 120 and 35mm scanners to convert some of the earlier stuff to digital form. I did get a cheapie HP Photo Smart S 20 to play with, but I expect I will have to get something like the Nikon Coolscan - particularly with the ICE feature to correct all the decay of years. Advice is always welcome.

My advice to the newer railfan photographer is scrimp, save and get the best camera you possibly can. Remember, you will have much more invested in time and expense in getting trackside than you will in the camera. So, digital or emulsion, get the best you possibly can and avoid regrets later.

Martin K. O'Toole
Martin K. O'Toole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2003, 12:32 PM   #57
TimChgo9

Default Photography

Actually, after reading the posts

Photography can mean alot of things to alot of people. As my uncle put it, "what does the photograph mean to you?" I said it before, photography is an art form, and what is a beautiful photo composition in one person's eye may be rather pedestrian in another's, so it's very subjective. When I shoot my pictures, I go for the ones that I think show the power of trains, and I shoot various angles, lighting, and other effects. I have almost 600 pictures in my collection, many of which were shot with a low resolution digital, so they won't be posted here. In alot of my pictures, I used a zoom, or telephot lens to capture the train in the distance, because to me, (if I may wax artistic for a moment) when I catch the locomotives in a close up, they appear to be bearing down, intent on getting the job done. It's the power of the locomotive I am after, but, then my interpretation of what I shoot, and the method by which I do it, may be way off the mark in someone else's mind. But, that's okay.

My uncle is a nature photographer, and he tends to go for the darker, more dramatic shot. His pictures of Mt. St. Helens are awesome, I don't do nature, unless it's a pretty sunset. The point is, take your pictures, enjoy what you do. If you derive pleasure from it, that's okay, it's what you did it for. On more than one occasion pictures that are my favorites did not get accepted here for posting. To any new comers, don't let the rejections get to you, even though it's hard. Just make sure you are using a good camera, whether it's digital or film photography you are doing.

Speaking of cameras, after shooting nearly 100 pictures with the new Fuji, (and tossing nearly 60% in to the recycle bin) I have found the S5000 to be an great camera. The pictures I have kept (and I have posted a couple of them) are great. The camera's drawbacks are it's size (it could be about a 1/4" bigger all around) and it's weight (about 14 oz with batteries) other than the light weight, I love the camera, and it will probably be awhile before I invest in anything else digital.

"Stupid should hurt"

Old 10-18-2003, 01:14 AM   #58
nevardmedia

I have a cheapy Canon Powershot A40 for my first experiment into digital photography. Fine for web based snaps where there are no demands beyond screen res.

For my more serious photography I still use conventional film cameras
Nikons FE and FM. Lenses 17mm thru to 400mm. I still use an Old Rollei 6x6 camera for odd magazine commisions (auto photography).

I used to use exclusively colour transparency, I now am a fan of colour neg taking scans straight from the film. The results allow more conttrol over shadow detail than from tranny.

I quite fancy one of the new Nikon SLRs, maybe a D100. Will the old AI Nikkors work with one of these? I appreciate certain auto functions won't work.
Old 10-23-2003, 03:10 AM   #59
S.C. Vermillion

My newest Camera is a Olympus IS 50QD with a 28-120mm ED lense. I use a Vanguard tripod.

I use to use a Toshiba PDR2300 2.2megapixel Digital for railroad pics but it did'nt deliver the clarity I wanted.

My dream camera is a Kodak DCS-14N but that's 5 grand more than I am willing to spend.

Shawn
S.C. Vermillion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2003, 01:22 AM   #60
Greg

Send a message via AIM to Greg

Since my last post I got a Kodak DX4330 in April 2003, and then about a week ago I got a Digital rebel.(Oct. 2003)
Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2003, 04:55 AM   #61
iCe

Send a message via MSN to iCe

Greg? Is that you? lol

http://members.rogers.com/will2004/Banner.jpg</A>
iCe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2003, 04:42 PM   #62
busyEMT

Good bye film, processing and scanning... I talked the wife into approving a Fuji FinePix S5000. Now, where is the "No Bad Motive" feature on this thing?
busyEMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2003, 04:28 AM   #63
iCe

Congratulations on getting your new camera! Hope you have lots of fun with it and shoot lots of great photos. I have your camera's ancestor

Old 11-02-2003, 06:06 AM   #64
yardmaster

I use the Barbie "squeeze 'n fun" camera, mounted on the matching barbie tripod !! I also have the GI Joe "commando cam" that only comes out under the harshest weather conditions. I still turn out better photos than them so called "experts" that use them EOS 1Ds's with 600mm F4 lenses, and I save $16,000 in the process :P .
yardmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2003, 09:59 PM   #65
ATF1224

Send a message via AIM to ATF1224 Send a message via MSN to ATF1224 Send a message via Yahoo to ATF1224

I am using a very Junky Canon Powershot A100 1.2 Megapixel. I'm about to upgrade to a D30, and thoughts/suggestions about the D30?
Old 11-15-2003, 10:02 PM   #66
bitburger

Send a message via ICQ to bitburger

Quote:
Originally Posted by yardmaster
I use the Barbie "squeeze 'n fun" camera, mounted on the matching barbie tripod !! I also have the GI Joe "commando cam" that only comes out under the harshest weather conditions. I still turn out better photos than them so called "experts" that use them EOS 1Ds's with 600mm F4 lenses, and I save $16,000 in the process :P .
Hehhe, you are one funny d00d :P

Well I'm still using my Powershot A70

Greets bitburger
Old 11-15-2003, 10:02 PM   #67
bitburger

Send a message via ICQ to bitburger

Quote:
Originally Posted by yardmaster
Hehhe, you are one funny d00d :P

Well I'm still using my Powershot A70

Greets bitburger
Old 11-15-2003, 10:26 PM   #68
iCe

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATF1224
I am using a very Junky Canon Powershot A100 1.2 Megapixel. I'm about to upgrade to a D30, and thoughts/suggestions about the D30?
You take some great photos with a 1.2 MP camera!

Old 11-16-2003, 09:28 PM   #69
ATF1224

Send a message via AIM to ATF1224 Send a message via MSN to ATF1224 Send a message via Yahoo to ATF1224

Thanks! It's very difficult to do much with this A100, it's only good for....well.... I don't know what it's good for, but I just bought my D30, hopefully I'll be able to get some really good photos now!
Old 11-16-2003, 10:13 PM   #70
iCe

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATF1224
Thanks! It's very difficult to do much with this A100, it's only good for....well.... I don't know what it's good for, but I just bought my D30, hopefully I'll be able to get some really good photos now!
Congrats on your purchase. Hope to see some great pictures.

Old 11-21-2003, 09:33 PM   #71
ATF1224

It Arrived today, and it will get a good testing tomorrow!
Old 11-23-2003, 08:54 AM   #72
tbookout82

Send a message via MSN to tbookout82 Send a message via Yahoo to tbookout82

I have not jumped to digital yet for anything serious. I do own a cheap Oregon Scientific 1.2 megapixel digital camera with very few features that I bought at Wal-Mart for about $20.00 on sale. I have not posted any of these pics though. I mostly use it for posting on ebay.
For serious work I have an Olympus OM1 with a 28mm wide angle, 50mm, and 70-210mm telephoto lens. I also have an Olympus OM-PC, both camera bodies are manual focus film cameras. I shoot some prints and some slides (both Ektachrome and Kodachrome <which I really like for sunny days and steam>). I use an HP scanjet 3570c with transparent materials adaptor for scanning prints and slides.
Old 11-24-2003, 12:05 AM   #73
Bob

tbookout,
B&H PhotoVideo is an excellent place to buy photo equipment AND they have a lot of resources. Before you buy a digital camera answer this question for yourself: What do you want to do with your pictures? Do you want to make prints as well as displaying them here and other websites. If you want to make prints, what size? These are question that really don't come into play too much when we're talking film, because we shoot either print or slide. But with digital our choices are so much broader that we must decide before we lay out $$$ exactly what we want to do. Here is a link to B&H ... they are a great place to get stuff and they have a solid reputation. I've purchased things from them for more than 5 years now. Click on ...
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...tion_chart.jsp
and you'll see what they have to say about the different resolutions.
Hope this helps!

Old 11-24-2003, 01:30 AM   #74
tbookout82

Send a message via MSN to tbookout82 Send a message via Yahoo to tbookout82

Thanks Bob I'll check that site out. I'm not really in the market right now to buy anything new, although I wouldn't mind something for the grab shots. I have also thought about purchasing a newer film camera with auto focus, but have not done that yet. Manual focus works well with shorter focal lengths and slow or still trains. Gets more difficult for long focal lengths and fast moving subjects. Thanks for the link!
Old 11-29-2003, 02:13 AM   #75
K.J.

At the moment I am using a mixture of the two.I have a jenoptik cheapo digital camera and have dug out my old rough and ready slr and lenses..(its a Zenit 12xp -used it mainly for outdoors work because my best camera at the time (canon EOS650)didn't like wet weather!!!).So until I get round to upgrading they will do..The 12XP has served me well for years... Couldn't bear to part with it.....Oh who am I kidding.. No one else would want it
K.J. is offline   Reply With Quote