Old 09-04-2008, 05:07 AM   #1
Chris Z

Send a message via Skype™ to Chris Z
Default High Sun at 9:30 AM

I'm a little confused here, on this shot.

My rejected photo

I think that there must be a different problem with this shot, than the high sun. You can see the shadows behind some of the trees. Although the sun was to my right, and the train is rounding a curve and this caused a shadow on the side of the last passenger car, is this what disqualified the shot? Should I be submitting pictures of only when the sun is low and behind me?

This may be a dumb question, but I'm new here as is all this digital stuff to me and I'm trying to figure out what the best criteria is for submitting and taking shots.

There are a lot of really good photos here at this site and I've also been reading all the Forum stuff to learn as much as I can about taking photos. So thanks from all you folks that have been helping out here.

Chris
Chris Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 05:13 AM   #2
Freericks
Met Fan

You've hit your problem on the head. There are a lot of dark areas on the train caused by the sun being to your right. If it were an image that couldn't be capture again, this may not be a problem, but because this operation runs today and can be shot tomorrow, they will clip you on this.
Freericks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 05:39 AM   #3
JRMDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Z
I think that there must be a different problem with this shot, than the high sun. You can see the shadows behind some of the trees.
One rough rule of thumb I have read is that the shadow should be at least as long as the object. Here they are not. Also, the running gear is dark, the trucks on the cars are dark.

Quote:
This may be a dumb question, but I'm new here as is all this digital stuff to me and I'm trying to figure out what the best criteria is for submitting and taking shots.
First of all, a nitpick, nothing at issue here has anything to do with digital vs. film. It is photography, no matter the medium.

Having said that, I want to stress that you not get discouraged. You took a fine shot! You took a fine shot given the time of day and sun conditions; you minimized the light issue, you made an interesting composition. Bum luck on the high sun. Remember that RP is not the only standard for good photography.

[Frankly, to me it isn't bad and I would appeal, saying that the light isn't that harsh and the colors are nice. Just expect to be knocked down again.]

For the future, find a spot where the angle of the sun is more favorable (and maybe a time of year where it isn't so high, if you can). And on this one, I might prefer that you aim a bit higher, moving the train a bit down in the frame and showing a bit more of the top of the hill, not cutting off so many trees and showing a bit more sky. Something to consider.

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 06:51 AM   #4
DelmonteX

I like the shot a lot Chris. Perhaps with some tweaking and you can get it accepted.

The one thing that does bother my eye, is the tree obstructing one of the cars.

Maybe some adjustments to bring out the detail in the shadows, or perhaps a black and white version.

Here's a couple of ideas of where you might go with the shot (hope you don't mind my tinkering).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	4017_1220448333-after.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	390.9 KB
ID:	3296   Click image for larger version

Name:	4017_1220448333-bw.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	375.3 KB
ID:	3297  

My Railpictures.net photos

My other photos
DelmonteX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 09:32 AM   #5
alan-crotty

Default Odd colours

Chris,

The colours look a bit odd to me, they're very green. I've done a quick rework, just using levels.

It looks very much like Steve's colour version.

I hope it looks OK as I edited it on an uncalibrated laptop.

Alan
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	reworked 4017_1220448333.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	269.8 KB
ID:	3298  
alan-crotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 12:17 PM   #6
KevinM

Hi Chris,

I really envy you for the opportunity to shoot this railroad. I am just itching to get out to the Colorado NG operations.

The guys have really hit the nail on the head on the lighting issue. It looks like the light angle is about 45 degrees off the shot angle. Even with that, you've got a decent picture here. I think the issue with RP is that the indirect light keeps the colors from really popping. Unless the paint on the equipment is bright and shiny, less than direct light can make colors look a bit "dingy". The first car looks OK, but after that, the colors fade.

I wouldn't give up on this just yet. The guys have made a few suggestions, including going B&W that hold some possibilities. Next time though, if you can find a shooting position that at least gets the loco and the first car or two in more direct light, I think you'll like the results a lot better.

More like this one from yesterday:
Image © Chris Zygmunt
PhotoID: 249271
Photograph © Chris Zygmunt

That's a nice one that fits the RP mold very well.

Keep shooting!

My RP stuff is here.

Link to my Flickr Albums. Albums from Steam Railroads all over the US.

Last edited by KevinM; 09-04-2008 at 12:20 PM.
KevinM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 02:44 AM   #7
Chris Z

You guys are great here and have given me a lot of examples and ideas. And no I don't mind you guys manipulating my photos here. It helps me out. Anyhow I started playing around with some of the software and attempted twice more.

Using photo software is a week spot for me. I guess I just need a lot of time and practice. One thing I also noticed is that when I looked at a friends monitor that the photos appeared much different on his screen, both LCD. My monitor seems to show much more detail and is brighter. The colors are much more vivid and dark on his. That may also be a cause for a problem.

Anyhow, here were my last two attempts. My favorite color is green. Oh well.

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...d=571196&key=0

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...9&key=35310888

I also have many slides from the seventies, eighties, and nineties. My flatbed scanner is very lousy. Can anyone recommend a good slide scanner. Here are some examples of attempts at scanning.

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...key=1201684406

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...d=569768&key=0

So yes, I'm having all sorts of fun and giving railfanning a try again. Thanks all for sharing.

Chris
Old 09-05-2008, 02:51 AM   #8
EMTRailfan

Location: I can be found railfanning the abandoned B&O Northern Sub.

If sharpening is all they need...sharpen them. I like the vintage stuff.
Old 09-05-2008, 03:36 AM   #9
Mike B.
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMTRailfan
I like the vintage stuff.
I don't think that photos taken recently qualify as vintage. They are just photos of outdated equipment.
Mike B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 03:58 AM   #10
Slopes09

Send a message via AIM to Slopes09

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike B.
I don't think that photos taken recently qualify as vintage. They are just photos of outdated equipment.
Maybe vintage isn't the word. I think historical would be a better term, given that the railroad in question isn't around anymore.

Pretty much the only Pentax Shooter.

Click Here to view my photos at RailPictures.Net!
Slopes09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 04:04 AM   #11
Walter S

Send a message via AIM to Walter S

Maybe Mike thought he was talking about the C&T photo's??? Probably not. And yes I would say Conrail is vintage or Historical.
Walter S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 04:30 AM   #12
bigbassloyd

Unpatched Conrail units with a solid string of Conrail hoppers.. I'd call it something other than outdated equipment

I ran the 2nd conrail photo through IRfanview, and sharpened, I think you can fix it

Cool shot none the less!

Loyd L.

My personal photography site
bigbassloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 04:51 AM   #13
jnohallman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike B.
Isn't vintage just another word for outdated? Or vice versa? I mean, the coming of diesels made steam outdated, but we call steamers vintage.

Jon

Click here to see my photos on RP.net!

Do not, under any circumstances whatsoever, click here. Don't even think about it. I'm warning you!
jnohallman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 04:53 AM   #14
Freericks
Met Fan

A very good dedicated film (slide and negative) scanner for a very low price is the Minolta/Konica Dimage Scan Dual. I have a III, but it's since been replaced by at least the IV.

I have been very happy with mine.

And I would call anything Conrail vintage, even though those shots are only 15 years ago. Sorry to disagree Mike.
Old 09-05-2008, 04:56 AM   #15
Mike B.
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter S
Maybe Mike thought he was talking about the C&T photo's??? Probably not. And yes I would say Conrail is vintage or Historical.
I was talking about the steam shots. I didn't realize that there was Conrail in this thread until now (I really like CR). True Conrail certainly does qualify as vintage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnohallman
Isn't vintage just another word for outdated? Or vice versa? I mean, the coming of diesels made steam outdated, but we call steamers vintage.

Jon
The difference is the time in which the equipment is being used.
Mike B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 05:03 AM   #16
Walter S

Send a message via AIM to Walter S

Woohoooo I was right
Walter S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 09:04 AM   #17
Wizzo

Quote:
I also have many slides from the seventies, eighties, and nineties. My flatbed scanner is very lousy. Can anyone recommend a good slide scanner. Here are some examples of attempts at scanning.

Chris
Welcome to the world of pain that is slide/neg scanning

Most people seem to rate the Nikon Coolscan V ED as the best dedicated slide/neg scanner these days without having to spend too much

Some tips on slide/neg scanning
Always scan at the highest resolution possible
Scan negatives at a very soft setting on the scanner compared to slides
Consider slightly smaller final image sizes for uploading (800 width rather than 1024) as this will help minimise problems
I don't know what editing software you are using, but if its Photoshop I found a very useful add-in was Intellisharpen (http://www.fredmiranda.com/IS/). This helps selectively sharpen edges in images without sharpening noise in other areas such as the sky
Get some Noise Reduction sofware. I use Noise Ninja (http://www.picturecode.com/), but others prefer Neat Image (http://www.neatimage.com/)

Good Luck

Press here to see my pics on railpictures.net

More pics here D1059 on Flickr

Last edited by Wizzo; 09-05-2008 at 09:09 AM.
Wizzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 03:23 PM   #18
Freericks
Met Fan

Let me add to be light on the sharpening on the slides too (I give them a touch of sharp during the scan, and I give the negatives zero).

I basically had to scan everything twice, as my first time through I scanned using the sharpening function in the software on pretty full force. I also used the dust removal at pretty full force. This caused jaggies and inconsistant power lines.
Old 09-06-2008, 04:32 AM   #19
Chris Z

Got nixed again for high sun when the sun this time is almost directly behind me.

high sun shot, click here

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to fix this, or should I just forget about this shot?

Chris
Old 09-06-2008, 05:10 AM   #20
Freericks
Met Fan

Chris,

I do agree with you that it's not high sun, but I'm sorry to say that I'm not a big fan of the shot. The nature of a Covered Wagon unit is such that a tight side angle like that, especially one that is every so slightly from behind, is that you're sort of looking at a wall.

So - for what it's worth, I think you're right that you were dinged for the wrong reason, but I think the screeners were right to ding you on this one.

Sorry.

Charles
Old 09-07-2008, 06:54 PM   #21
J Douglas Moore

Quote:

I have the Epson V500.. Has great reviews and is not very expensive....... It is a flatbead and has a transparency adapter and does slides very well......

"Thanks for looking"

It is a proven fact that birthdays are good for you. The people with the most always live longer!
J Douglas Moore is offline   Reply With Quote