Old 10-07-2009, 06:35 AM   #1
CanadianPacificCNDR

Default In Need Of A Little Help/Opinions

Hello,

Well long story short I've tried uploading 5 photos with the hope that one maybe two of them would make them on the site. Of the five there are two that there is nothing I can do to edit them to get them on the site and the third has "poor esthetics quality" so that ones eliminated. Sorry for making you read a bit but here are the two photo's I need some help on:

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...&key=735199807
This one is a cropping issue - I'm trying to figure out what is cropped wrong?, Too much sky/grass? (this is the original image with no editing done to it)

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...key=1298623263
This one is undersharpened and I honestly have no idea what they mean by that.

Thank you for your time and any help/opinions will greatly be appreciated,

Cam.
CanadianPacificCNDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 06:41 AM   #2
NSFan14

Shot 1- You have way to much room on the left and not enough on the right. Give the photo some "Breathing room"

Shot 2- It is soft. Use a photo editing software and try to sharpen it some.
Old 10-07-2009, 09:33 AM   #3
Bryan Jones

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianPacificCNDR View Post
Hello,

Well long story short I've tried uploading 5 photos with the hope that one maybe two of them would make them on the site. Of the five there are two that there is nothing I can do to edit them to get them on the site and the third has "poor esthetics quality" so that ones eliminated. Sorry for making you read a bit but here are the two photo's I need some help on:

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...&key=735199807
This one is a cropping issue - I'm trying to figure out what is cropped wrong?, Too much sky/grass? (this is the original image with no editing done to it)

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...key=1298623263
This one is undersharpened and I honestly have no idea what they mean by that.

Thank you for your time and any help/opinions will greatly be appreciated,

Cam.
well, in the case of photo number one the lead locomotive is in the dead center of the frame. On the left hand side of the photo you have a wide open space of nothing but sky and the right of way, on the right hand side you have the train itself. There is way too much dead space on the left hand side of the photo and thats your cropping issue. There's not much you can do with this because the composition really isn't that great and it would take some serious cropping to the entire image to get something acceptable and thats only if the original image is large enough to allow the additional cropping and end up with a photo that meets the proper dimensions allowed here. Also the train is cutoff in this photo which is generally a no no. Its not an appealing image, I'd just let this one go and try to learn from your mistakes.

in the second photo they say its undersharpened. I can't think of a good explanation other than sharpening helps give the photo exta "pop", helping detail stand out and give it a crisp appearance. This is something you need to do when you process the photo. What program, if any, are you using to process your photos? Even the most basic software which comes with digital cameras should have a sharpening utility available.

Bryan Jones
Brooks,KY
Bryan Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 07:59 PM   #4
dejv

Shot 1: try something like my edit in attachment, maybe with a bit more space to the left.
Before cropping, it needed -1.8 degree rotation to put signal pole and power line support vertical.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	rp1.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	171.4 KB
ID:	4712  

Click Here to view my photos at RailPictures.Net!
dejv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 02:00 AM   #5
CanadianPacificCNDR

Thanks for your input. I've tried cropping the first photo like you did (dejv) and when I go to re-size the photo I can't get it to meet the vertical dimensions and taking Bryans advice I thought about it and decided not to submit the first one again.

Just submitted the 2nd photo with it sharpened a bit so I'm hoping the accept it this time.

And to answer your question Bryan I just bought Corel Paint Shop Pro Photo X2. It'll take some getting used to but I like it so far.
CanadianPacificCNDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 05:56 PM   #6
TAMR159

The second one also looks to be crooked (leaning to the left a little bit) - 0.5 or 1 degree to the right should bring it perfectly level. And, as was said, it does look to be a touch soft...try sharpening it with Unsharp Mask.
TAMR159 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 06:30 PM   #7
JRMDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianPacificCNDR View Post
Thanks for your input. I've tried cropping the first photo like you did (dejv) and when I go to re-size the photo I can't get it to meet the vertical dimensions and taking Bryans advice I thought about it and decided not to submit the first one again.
Whether or not you choose to resubmit is your business, but be informed that the image can most certainly be made to fit RP dimensions if you start with the original and crop it. Don't make your cropping adjustments on the submitted shot.

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote