Old 10-03-2006, 11:58 PM   #1
Callufrax
?

Location: Nth. Strathfield, Main Northern, CityRail - Sydney, NSW, Australia
Default Railfanning trip to States, this time next year

Well, didn't know where to put this post, exactly. I can't put it as a trip report, as it hasn't happened yet. So, this forum seemed to be the safest place.

I'm planning a five week trip to the States, this time next year. Not sure how much distance I'm going to be able to cover, as I'll be travelling via train and bus. But I will definitely be visiting the don't-miss places, such as Tehachapi, Pittsburgh, and the other usual suspects. I know it's a year away, but anyone up for a bit of a railfan get together?
Callufrax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 12:13 AM   #2
SD70MACMAN
The man with the plan

Send a message via AIM to SD70MACMAN

If you take the Empire Builder or Coast Starlight to Seattle, Id be more than happy to give you a tour of the Pacific Northwest! Hit up Stevens Pass, photograph the Amtrak Cascades, meander around Interbay and Seattle. See my RP.net pics for those locations

Let me know via this or PM, when you establish your plans.

UP's new slogan for Amtrak:
"We'll help you spread you wings and fly right into a siding!"

TRAINS TRAINS TRAINS!!! May the fun never end!
I'm a traitor! Im on JP.net! But all my plane shots involve trains!

BN FOREVER!
SD70MACMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 12:34 AM   #3
Callufrax
?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD70MACMAN
If you take the Empire Builder or Coast Starlight to Seattle, Id be more than happy to give you a tour of the Pacific Northwest! Hit up Stevens Pass, photograph the Amtrak Cascades, meander around Interbay and Seattle. See my RP.net pics for those locations

Let me know via this or PM, when you establish your plans.
Nice locations. I might have to take you up on that. I know Pullman quite well. Spent about two months there, back in 2001. Still didn't manage to catch the once weekly freight that goes through!
Old 10-04-2006, 01:14 AM   #4
TonytheTiger
Ex. Railroad Employee

If you would like to experience eastern mountain railroading then I'd be glad to show you either Central Pennsylvania or Southern West Virginia and Southeastern Kentucky. I know that I there are probably a dozen other railfans that would enjoy tagging along.

You know you are old when the first car you owned is now considered a "Classic".
TonytheTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 01:20 AM   #5
TonytheTiger
Ex. Railroad Employee

Something to note:

If your trip is going to be in October then you might want to consider the New River Train:

http://www.newrivertrain.com/nrt.shtml

It runs every year for two weekends in the middle of October. In past years it was pulled by steam:

Image © Rob Kitchen
PhotoID: 157010
Photograph © Rob Kitchen

Image © Rob Kitchen
PhotoID: 134424
Photograph © Rob Kitchen

Image © Rob Kitchen
PhotoID: 131416
Photograph © Rob Kitchen

You know you are old when the first car you owned is now considered a "Classic".
Old 10-04-2006, 04:03 AM   #6
fuente1

Location: Concord, NC MP 355 on NS Piedmont Divison Charlotte District
Send a message via AIM to fuente1 Send a message via Yahoo to fuente1

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonytheTiger
Something to note:

If your trip is going to be in October then you might want to consider the New River Train:

It runs every year for two weekends in the middle of October. In past years it was pulled by steam:

Image © Rob Kitchen
Photograph © Rob Kitchen

Image © Rob Kitchen
Photograph © Rob Kitchen

Image © Rob Kitchen
Photograph © Rob Kitchen
Man Id love to go on that thing. I wish they could get NKP 765 back on the head end!
fuente1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 04:27 AM   #7
SD70MACMAN
The man with the plan

Send a message via AIM to SD70MACMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Callufrax
Nice locations. I might have to take you up on that. I know Pullman quite well. Spent about two months there, back in 2001. Still didn't manage to catch the once weekly freight that goes through!
The only reason I could ever imagine someone coming to Pullman is the college... Depending on when you come, Id either be in Seattle or Pullman.

UP's new slogan for Amtrak:
"We'll help you spread you wings and fly right into a siding!"

TRAINS TRAINS TRAINS!!! May the fun never end!
I'm a traitor! Im on JP.net! But all my plane shots involve trains!

BN FOREVER!
SD70MACMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 06:47 AM   #8
jdirelan87

Quote:
But I will definitely be visiting the don't-miss places, such as Tehachapi, Pittsburgh , and the other usual suspects. I know it's a year away, but anyone up for a bit of a railfan get together?
I can you help you around Pittsburgh, there is a fairly sizeable network out this way of photographer so finding somebody in the know about any of the many lines should be easy.

I'm glad somebody is finally giving Pittsburgh the respects it deserves, its truely the hidden gem of East. I would go as far as to say its the best homebase for railroad photography in the Eastern United States, if not the entire nation.
jdirelan87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 11:53 AM   #9
Callufrax
?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD70MACMAN
The only reason I could ever imagine someone coming to Pullman is the college... Depending on when you come, Id either be in Seattle or Pullman.
It'd probably be around this time next year, after the summer's cooled off a bit, as well as the colours of fall coming out.
Old 10-04-2006, 11:57 AM   #10
Callufrax
?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdirelan87
I can you help you around Pittsburgh, there is a fairly sizeable network out this way of photographer so finding somebody in the know about any of the many lines should be easy.

I'm glad somebody is finally giving Pittsburgh the respects it deserves, its truely the hidden gem of East. I would go as far as to say its the best homebase for railroad photography in the Eastern United States, if not the entire nation.
Pittsburgh's intrigued me, ever since I picked up a copy of Pentrex's 'Pittsburgh Mainlines' about a year ago.
Old 10-04-2006, 03:36 PM   #11
Callufrax
?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonytheTiger
Something to note:

Image © Rob Kitchen
Photograph © Rob Kitchen

Image © Rob Kitchen
Photograph © Rob Kitchen

Image © Rob Kitchen
Photograph © Rob Kitchen
I love the look of that. Just paid a visit to their website. Even though the price tag is big (premium & private car service, that is), it appears to be worth it.
Old 10-07-2006, 04:39 AM   #12
fuente1

Location: Concord, NC MP 355 on NS Piedmont Divison Charlotte District
Send a message via AIM to fuente1 Send a message via Yahoo to fuente1

Quote:
I love the look of that. Just paid a visit to their website. Even though the price tag is big (premium & private car service, that is), it appears to be worth it.

Callufrax,
Its a wonderful excursion, I wish you could have seen it back when NKP 765 pulled it........the Amtrak garbage that pulls it now is ok though, the scenery speaks for itself.
fuente1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2006, 02:37 PM   #13
Callufrax
?

I've pretty much decided on flying in and out of ORD, arriving on 15/10 and leaving on 16/11. To make use of time in Chicago, I'm pretty much deciding to be in the Chicago area for the rest of the day and night, and then next day take the CSS out to Michigan City, to take some street running shots there, before making my way to South Bend to pick up Amtrak for the overnight trip to Pittsburgh. Probably a couple of days in that area, before heading on to who knows where next.
Old 06-04-2007, 10:07 AM   #14
Callufrax
?

After a few changes to my travel plans (due to having moved back to Australia, and getting a job that won't allow me to take holidays in advance of having accrued them - unlike my previous job), I'll now be visiting the States in August 2008, for about two and a half weeks. I plan to now arrive in mid-August, and will be flying in to YVR, before crossing the border. I'll be renting a motor, and will be sticking to the western part of the States (WA, OR, CA, NV, UT, ID, before crossing back in to AB, then BC).
Old 06-19-2007, 01:26 PM   #15
Callufrax
?

One of the areas I plan to visit is Feather River Canyon. Could anyone tell me what the density of traffic is there?
Old 06-19-2007, 04:07 PM   #16
JRMDC

As you become more specific on your plans, I suggest you track down the area-specific Yahoo groups for where you are going. I found the ones covering Seattle and Kansas City quite helpful in the past.

It's a way to get more "eyeballs" looking over your questions than this forum will.

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 07:43 PM   #17
TonytheTiger
Ex. Railroad Employee

I see that Nevada and Utah are on your itenerary. You should make it a point to visit the Nevada Northern . . . .

http://www.nevadanorthernrailway.net/

. . . . and the Golden Spike National Historic Site.

http://www.nps.gov/gosp/

I'm sure if you spend any time around Salt Lake City you will see lots of mainline and terminal action. About 30 miles south of the Golden Spike park is the UP mainline across the Great Salt Lake at Promontory Point.

http://tinyurl.com/29ecmf

Search the database here for Nevada Northern and Salt Lake City to get an idea of what you will see.

Last edited by TonytheTiger; 06-19-2007 at 07:51 PM.
Old 06-19-2007, 11:49 PM   #18
Callufrax
?

I've decided to focus on CA and NV (maybe part of AZ as well), due to limited time.
Old 09-09-2007, 05:35 AM   #19
Callufrax
?

As the end of the year approaches, by which time I'll be buying my plane tickets, I've been refining my travel plans for October next year.

I'll still be flying in to SFO, probably the last weekend of September. From there, I'll pick up a rental car. The first night, I think I've decided upon staying at the Waterfront Plaza Hotel in Oakland. From there, I'll make my way through California, Nevada, Arizona, Utah or New Mexico, Colorado, Kansas, Missouri, Kentucky, and finally ending up in Chicago, staying at the Ambassador East Hotel. I'll then be catching the California Zephyr back to Emeryville, spending another couple of days in the San Francisco area, before flying back to SYD around the middle of the last week of October. I don't know what kind of mileage this will be, but it depends on the way I travel through California. I don't think it'll be as much as 6000 miles. But, even if it were, then that'd be around 215 miles a day, over a period of 28 days.

Between now and the beginning of January, it is still subject to change. But it's now generally set in stone.