Old 04-22-2007, 10:48 AM   #1
goremirebob
ex-teenager

Default Pacific Northwest Steam in May

I am considering making the trip from Britain to see UP #844 and SP #4449 in the Pacific Northwest in May.

Does anyone know if these trips are likely to have UP, Amtrak or other diesels coupled behind the steam locos?

Also, I presume there will be ferry moves to get #4449 from its home in Portland to the Seattle area (the trips are advertised Tacoma-Everett and return). Does anyone have dates for the ferry moves? Will they be steam or hauled by diesels?

Thanks - any info appreciated.

Bob Avery
goremirebob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 01:59 AM   #2
SD70MACMAN
The man with the plan

Send a message via AIM to SD70MACMAN

The UP will have UP locos behind it. UP always does, its their precious and we're lucky enough to see it running on the BNSF from Tacoma. (This is so it 844 can wye in Everett. Its largest wye in the Seattle region and the only one that will fit UP's steam. It derailed in UP's wye in south Seattle a few years back and hasnt been this way since.) I can already feel the foam churning!

I did not know SP 4449 was coming to Seattle, so thats news to me. It will most likely have Amtrak power though and probably wont be ferried since the SP 4449 guys wouldn't be able to have any fun!

EDIT:
WOW, 3 straight days of steam coming through Edmonds! Way to kick off my 8-month withdrawal of trains and an 8-year withdrawal of steam in Edmonds! I feel spoiled. I can't believe it, I must be dreaming...

UP's new slogan for Amtrak:
"We'll help you spread you wings and fly right into a siding!"

TRAINS TRAINS TRAINS!!! May the fun never end!
I'm a traitor! Im on JP.net! But all my plane shots involve trains!

BN FOREVER!

Last edited by SD70MACMAN; 04-23-2007 at 02:11 AM.
SD70MACMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 11:04 AM   #3
nwrails

Quote:
Originally Posted by goremirebob
Does anyone know if these trips are likely to have UP, Amtrak or other diesels coupled behind the steam locos?

Also, I presume there will be ferry moves to get #4449 from its home in Portland to the Seattle area (the trips are advertised Tacoma-Everett and return). Does anyone have dates for the ferry moves? Will they be steam or hauled by diesels?
Most likely the train will have a UP road locomotive in the consist also. UP's passenger equipment is powered from a generator car so there is not a need for a Amtrak locomotive.

The current plan is to operate the 4449 with the 844 up from Portland to Tacoma and return back to Portland together. The UP Steam website has the information including times of when the train is scheduled to depart the Portland area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD70MACMAN
...we're lucky enough to see it running on the BNSF from Tacoma. (This is so it 844 can wye in Everett. Its largest wye in the Seattle region and the only one that will fit UP's steam. It derailed in UP's wye in south Seattle a few years back and hasnt been this way since.)
There are several wye's in the area which could handle a 4-8-4, The "Coach Wye" on the BNSF in South Seattle is large enough for a 4-8-4. The 4449 used it back in 2000 with no problems while operating on the BNSF EAS Program.

The UP's own wye in Seattle is a little tight on the north leg, but a 4-8-4 could creep through it slowly. Anyways, UP has never brought the 844 up here in the "excursion program" yet, so there's no way it has derailed on that wye in the past, unless UP managed to sneak the 844 up here one night without anyone noticing. But yet I've still managed to miss seeing them wye the 6936 on that wye twice now...

If you think the wye's in Seattle are tight, take a look at a few of them in Tacoma. They are even worse. And I've already seen a 4-8-4 operate through several of them, which later ended up doing some damage to the locomotive.

Daniel
nwrails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 09:26 PM   #4
SD70MACMAN
The man with the plan

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwrails
If you think the wye's in Seattle are tight, take a look at a few of them in Tacoma. They are even worse. And I've already seen a 4-8-4 operate through several of them, which later ended up doing some damage to the locomotive.

Daniel
Maybe thats what I'm thinking of. Thanks for the clear up Daniel!

BN FOREVER!
Old 04-23-2007, 10:03 PM   #5
Tåg

I imagine they use the modern power more for the dynamic brakes than anything. I am willing to bet the UP will probablly be using a heritige unit or maybe the old E unit's
Old 04-24-2007, 12:01 AM   #6
goremirebob
ex-teenager

Thanks for all the info everyone.

Bob
goremirebob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 09:47 PM   #7
SD70MACMAN
The man with the plan

UP is double-heading SP 4449 and UP 844. I think this was announced in the last week or so.

Im going out on a limb here, but this may be the biggest steam event this summer!

BN FOREVER!