Old 06-07-2007, 04:01 AM   #1
SamD

Default blurry?

this image was rejected as blurry

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...key=1313497481

It looks sharp to me. What am I missing?
SamD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 04:05 AM   #2
Ween

GCFX 3056 and CSX 8444 both have blurry number boards and lettering...but those are in the background so some out-of-focus effect should be expected...but that much?

Outside of that, from a cropping/composition perspective, it would help if the entire signal bridge on the left was included in the shot...

Last edited by Ween; 06-07-2007 at 04:13 AM. Reason: separated paragraphs
Ween is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 04:11 AM   #3
fvrailfan

As Chris said, the background is soft, but I also see some blurry areas around the trucks of the CN units.
fvrailfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 04:25 AM   #4
SamD

Yeah, I saw the soft background, but I figured that this was acceptable if the primary subject was in good focus. I think the problem is, at least in part, an issue of DOF, since I stopped down due to the sun starting to set.

The signal also kind of bugs me, but there was no good way to crop it out, and given the distances involved, pulling the shot out to show the bridge would leave you too far away from the train (I have exposures with that composition), so I figured it was worth a shot like this. But if the background is too blurry, then that's sort of a moot point.
Old 06-07-2007, 07:47 AM   #5
JimThias

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamD
Yeah, I saw the soft background, but I figured that this was acceptable if the primary subject was in good focus. I think the problem is, at least in part, an issue of DOF, since I stopped down due to the sun starting to set.
If you stopped down, your DOF would have increased. With the decreasing light, are you sure you didn't stop UP?
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 09:02 AM   #6
Switched out

Looking at the image one thing that stood out to me was the foggy look it had. In the attached image you can see the difference adjusting the contrast can have on the clarity of an image. (well I think it does?)

Cheers,

Christine
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CN2516glendale2PSrw.jpg (275.8 KB, 192 views)
Switched out is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2007, 04:11 AM   #7
SamD

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimThias
If you stopped down, your DOF would have increased. With the decreasing light, are you sure you didn't stop UP?
D'oh, yeah, I meant stopped up. I always confuse that, because stopping UP makes depth of field go DOWN. Actually, that's probably how I should remember it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Switched out
Looking at the image one thing that stood out to me was the foggy look it had. In the attached image you can see the difference adjusting the contrast can have on the clarity of an image. (well I think it does?)
Basicly, I'm in agreement with you, but lately when I've taken that approch to fix what I percive as haziness I've been getting rejections for bad contrast. So, as a result, I modifed the contrast a lot less then I personally felt it needed. I think you're edit looks good, so maybe I'll give it a go in that direction.