Old 03-18-2008, 04:43 PM   #1
K4driver

Default tweetse railroad a victim of fire

orignally from gaurc, wsorry i upset him,.

http://www.gaurc.us/files/video/prototype/vid-p0272.wmv

Last edited by K4driver; 03-21-2008 at 05:55 PM.
K4driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 02:33 AM   #2
fuente1

Location: Concord, NC MP 355 on NS Piedmont Divison Charlotte District
Send a message via AIM to fuente1 Send a message via Yahoo to fuente1

For all of you guys who are not familiar with Tweetsie there are several photos on this site of the locomotives at this North Carolina landmark. Tweetsie is really a neat little narrow gauge railroad with a state of the art steam program. (I should know I used to fire the engines there). The old Depot (THE original structure at the park) that burned had numerous artifacts from the East Tennessee & Western North Carolina Railroad (ET&WNC) that cannot be replaced, luckily some items were saved. Below is the article from the 3/18/2008 Charlotte Observer concerning the fire. If you guys ever are in the area I recommend visiting this line. www.tweetsie.com

TWEETSIE RAILROAD FIRE
Musuem chugs forward
Museum to draw from archives, donations from private collectors to replace items
MARCIE YOUNG
myoung@charlotteobserver.com

BLOWING ROCK --A charred red-and-green toy train peeked through the ashes of Tweetsie Railroad's museum on Monday while workers dug through rubble in the hope of salvaging photographs, tools and other memorabilia.

"There was stuff in here from the 1880s, easily," said Tim Smith, Tweetsie's head engineer. He had found a metal mile marker -- No. 236 -- and some old pictures buried beneath the debris.

The blaze, likely sparked by an electrical problem or lightning, ripped through the mountainside amusement park's 51-year-old depot early Sunday, razing the oldest building and destroying pieces of N.C. history.

A saddle and boots belonging to Fred Kirby, a singing cowboy and longtime kids' TV show host, burned in the fire. A ticket machine, timetables and train signs were mangled by the heat.

"You can replace the Thomas the Train stuff and everything in the gift store," said Frank Aldridge, who has worked as a foreman in the train maintenance shop since 1976. "But the Fred Kirby memorabilia, well, that's just irreplaceable."

All is not lost, said Tweetsie President Chris Robbins, whose father and uncle created the park, about two hours northwest of Charlotte, in 1957 after buying East Tennessee & Western North Carolina Railroad Co.'s locomotive No. 12.

"We've gotten a lot of calls from train enthusiasts wanting to replenish this (from their own collections)," he said. Tweetsie also has extensive archives of other items that weren't destroyed.

The old-fashioned park, off U.S. 321 between Boone and Blowing Rock, opened its gates a year after Disneyland.

It's still scheduled to open on May 2 for its 51st year, Robbins said.

But the museum, which will be re-created with donated items and things from Tweetsie's extensive archives, may not be ready in time for the beginning of the season.

The park's future in Blowing Rock has been in question in recent years as a lease on part of the land was set to expire. But Robbins said the park is in lease negotiations now and he is hopeful Tweetsie will stay where it is for decades to come.

The fire, he said, won't affect the park's operations.

"It's just one of dozens of buildings," Robbins said.
fuente1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 09:04 PM   #3
gaurc

Angry K4driver: If you're going to hijack my website & posts, use the whole thing...

Quote:
Originally Posted by K4driver
My original posting, as it appeared on my own website, Auran Trainz Forum and Trains.com Forum...

Tweetsie Railroad Victim of Fire - 3/17/2008

Click here to see the news story video

A fire on St. Patrick's Day destroyed the museum and gift shop of the Tweetsie Railroad near Boone, North Carolina.

The one-story wood building – believed to be an original train depot – was consumed with flames fanned by high winds, said Blowing Rock firefighter Mark Winston Lawrence.

“There was nothing we could do to save it,” he said. Firefighters from Boone and Blowing Rock spent more than three hours extinguishing the fire that also caused minimal heat damage to a second building about 10 feet away that houses restrooms.

The museum was one of many attractions at the old fashioned park that celebrates the Tweetsie Railroad, which used to run between Boone and Johnson City, Tenn. The 1,300 square-foot building, which also housed a first-aid center and concession stand, was moved from Boone to the park in 1954, Lawrence said.

Flames roared through the museum, burning history with it. Today there was nothing left of train timetables, old railroad lanterns and the initialized boots and leather saddle once owned by the late Fred Kirby – a gun-toting, singing cowboy who was a Charlotte television personality and hosted a kids show in the 1960s. - Charlotte Observer

*We have sent our condolences to the staff at Tweetsie for their great loss... the address is info@tweetsie.com

~Rick

Received: Mar 21 2008
Quote:
Rick Goodell:

Thank you for taking the time to write.

We have enjoyed an outpouring of support from rail fans and friends everywhere, and that part is certainly gratifying. It's good to know that Tweetsie has so many supporters all across the nation. I appreciate your sincere concern, and your kind words about our attraction. Best wishes, and I hope you'll have the opportunity to visit us this season.

Chris Robbins

Chris Robbins, President
Tweetsie Railroad Inc.
300 Tweetsie Railroad Lane
Blowing Rock, NC 28605
-chrisr@tweetsie.com-
828-264-9061 x110
800-526-5740 x110

Last edited by gaurc; 03-21-2008 at 10:20 PM. Reason: Received reply from Tweetsie
gaurc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 09:36 PM   #4
K4driver

GAURC I did not get it off your website.

i got it off the auran trainz forums.
K4driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 03:44 PM   #5
gaurc

Angry K4driver: Whatever...

Quote:
Originally Posted by K4driver
GAURC I did not get it off your website.

i got it off the auran trainz forums.
And who did you think made the post at Auran? That post has the same signature banner as this one... the one with the website name.

Hum... Your link begins with www.gaurc.us, so it's not hard to imagine what website it came from.

And, by the way, your link is not same as the link at Auran... I know because it's my post. The Auran link is http://www.gaurc.us/ccount/pVideo/click.php?id=272

I don't care if it gets passed around, that's why it's on the internet. It would just be nice if you use the proper link, even if you don't plan to give credit to where it came from. You will understand better if you ever own a website that costs real money out of your pocket and countless hours of your time to create and maintain.

Whatever... it doesn't matter. I just hate being lied to.

~Rick

Last edited by gaurc; 03-21-2008 at 03:59 PM.
gaurc is offline   Reply With Quote