Old 11-29-2010, 11:04 PM   #26
troy12n
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRMDC View Post
Even in the technical dimensions, such as a definitive statement regarding formats, say 3:2 to 5:4, vert or horizontal. Or somethign on HDR.
That's one of the things I dont like are the seemingly arbitrary dimension restrictions. I understand you need to have SOME rules, but to arbitrarily say 1024x___ for landscape and ___x850 for portrait is at times kind of limiting. There are even times a square crop would work and there are even some (maybe older) shots in the DB that are damn near square.

Someone said you don't want to embarrass the person on the rejects, I think we are all better than that.

ALSO, restrictions on manipulation, I would be a big proponent of using the clone tool to remove stuff like power lines, etc when done tastefully.
troy12n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 11:10 PM   #27
cblaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinM View Post
Two questions:
  • Were rejections ever viewable before?
  • If such a feature were to be available, how many folks would spend time looking at other people's problems?
I have no interest in seeing other folks rejections unless they choose to post them and ask for help. The purpose of the site is to showcase good quality railroad photographs, not provide a feeding frenzy for the segment of society that gets their kicks finding the flaws in other people's work.

Just my $.02.
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Ryan View Post
I thought the point of looking at rejections was not so much as a way to "get kicks" from seeing the "flaws," but as a community way of understanding what the screeners are looking for. Sort of a learn by example.
A few years ago, everyone's rejection pages were publicly available. If you went to your own rejection page under the "Members" thread, and replaced your ID number with another contributor's, you were able to see their rejection list.

Yes, if you're a loser with nothing better to do than surf RP, then you use this to enjoy looking at people's mistakes. But for the rest of us, I found it most useful for figuring out how to deal with someone asking for help on the forums. If you went to their rejection page, and they had uploaded the same shot 6 times without following the advice they were given in the forums, it was pointless to help them from then on.

It was also interesting to see the rejections of folks giving advice on the forums, seeing if they practice what they preach.

- Chris
Old 11-29-2010, 11:15 PM   #28
coborn35

Quote:
Originally Posted by troy12n View Post

Someone said you don't want to embarrass the person on the rejects, I think we are all better than that.
I dont think you are better than that.
I personally have had a problem with those trying to tell us to turn railroad photography into an "art form." It's fine for them to do so, I welcome it in fact, but what I do have a problem with is that the practitioners of the more "arty" shots, I have found, tend to look down their nose's at others who are shooting more "mundane" shots.
Railroad photography is what you make of it, but one way is not "better" than another, IMHO. Unless you have a pole right thought the nose of the engine! -SG
coborn35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 11:23 PM   #29
troy12n
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by coborn35 View Post
I dont think you are better than that.
I dont give a rats ass what you think, but I guarantee I would never cruise through the reject pile looking for terrible pics to link here. I have better things to do with my time.

I do and will call out ones that do get on when I think it deserves it.

For instance, if you look RIGHT NOW, 2 virtually identical pictures got on back to back. Don't know how, but they did. I wont link them just yet, may not regardless, but it's interesting. Lots of cloudy ones today too.
Old 11-29-2010, 11:42 PM   #30
crazytiger

Lets go back to the first contemporary mention of it, Kevin. Chris K. said that maybe it was time to reopen the rejections. I think that part of your argument is void because of it. Also, there would need to be away to block some pics from being shown, i.e., nudity, infringement of copyright, excessively gory shots, etc. But back to the original mention from Chris K., this suggestion was because Steven, I think, was submitting a bunch of crap and the openness would put a damper on that. This is one of the main benefits of open rejects -- people will be slower to upload so-called "long shots."

Canon EOS 40D
Canon EF 50 f/1.8 II
Canon EF 70-200mm f/4 L USM
Canon EF-S 17-85mm f/4-5.6 IS USM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Friend
everytime i see non-train photos of yours i think, "so much talent. wasted on trains."
crazytiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 11:47 PM   #31
bigbassloyd

Quote:
2 virtually identical pictures got on back to back. Don't know how, but they did. I wont link them just yet, may not regardless, but it's interesting. Lots of cloudy ones today too.
Shoulda seen it in color...

Loyd L.

My personal photography site
bigbassloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 12:17 AM   #32
troy12n
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbassloyd View Post
Shoulda seen it in color...
I did, I saw it or let me say SEE it in B&W and color
Old 11-30-2010, 12:30 AM   #33
coborn35

A SC to boot.
I personally have had a problem with those trying to tell us to turn railroad photography into an "art form." It's fine for them to do so, I welcome it in fact, but what I do have a problem with is that the practitioners of the more "arty" shots, I have found, tend to look down their nose's at others who are shooting more "mundane" shots.
Railroad photography is what you make of it, but one way is not "better" than another, IMHO. Unless you have a pole right thought the nose of the engine! -SG
Old 11-30-2010, 12:31 AM   #34
JimThias

Quote:
Lots of cloudy ones today too.
Not to mention a coaling tower that looks like it's going to tip over.

This pretty much sums it up: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Thias
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 12:40 AM   #35
Soo 6060
EMD > GE

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimThias View Post
Not to mention a coaling tower that looks like it's going to tip over.
How about this one? I mean, I don't think the fact that they're shooting the dark side of the train can be considered artistic? I'm lost.

Image © J. Alex Lang - www.jalexlang.com
PhotoID: 347027
Photograph © J. Alex Lang - www.jalexlang.com
Soo 6060 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 12:43 AM   #36
crazytiger

'Mon, people. Give Alex a break, his photography is pretty awesome. I wish I were that good.

Canon EOS 40D
Canon EF 50 f/1.8 II
Canon EF 70-200mm f/4 L USM
Canon EF-S 17-85mm f/4-5.6 IS USM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Friend
everytime i see non-train photos of yours i think, "so much talent. wasted on trains."

Last edited by crazytiger; 11-30-2010 at 02:17 AM.
crazytiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 01:31 AM   #37
John Ryan

Send a message via AIM to John Ryan

I've noticed some people get more leeway than others. Does this really need to be explained?
John Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 02:00 AM   #38
J. E. Landrum
RailPictures.Net Crew

MNF or the forums?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg I_like_where_this_thread_is_going.jpg (45.7 KB, 167 views)
J. E. Landrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 02:05 AM   #39
IHapsias

Quote:
Originally Posted by J. E. Landrum View Post
MNF or the forums?
Good one!
Old 11-30-2010, 03:03 AM   #40
JimThias

Quote:
Originally Posted by J. E. Landrum View Post
MNF or the forums?
MNF? Pfft...lousy game. I'm heading to the bar down the street for a drink.

This pretty much sums it up: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Thias
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 03:41 AM   #41
J. E. Landrum
RailPictures.Net Crew

No doubt! The (attempted) Field Goal Bowl.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimThias View Post
MNF? Pfft...lousy game. I'm heading to the bar down the street for a drink.
J. E. Landrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 03:42 AM   #42
Chris Kilroy
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to Chris Kilroy

In the spirit of opening up rejects ...

- View My Photos at JetPhotos.Net!
Chris Kilroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 03:53 AM   #43
Walter S

Send a message via AIM to Walter S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Kilroy View Post
Having a "super-zoom" P&S does not mean that you need to use the "super-zoom" part all the time!

I have seen worse though. Atleast it is not completely centered in the frame.

And we really dont know the age of this person, heck he could be young kid and just starting out.

Last edited by Walter S; 11-30-2010 at 04:03 AM.
Walter S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 03:54 AM   #44
coborn35

Is there a need to post that besides humiliation? Sure to us it looks terrible but to someone just starting out in photography (we all have been there) it may look fine. I find the way administrators on this site call out people (not just now) rather unprofessional. Like the title of this thread. Is Chase happy he was called out in front of everyone? I am sure he isn't. Sure he may have been doing that, but a simple email would solve everything. Wanna get the point across? Sticky a topic in the forum regarding it. I just feel something like this will turn people away from photography very quickly. Is criticism good? Yes. But posting someones picture up here for people to laugh at is just not right.
Old 11-30-2010, 03:59 AM   #45
mark woody

Agreed, but so is constantly whining about admin decisions.
mark woody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 04:01 AM   #46
Chase55671
RailPictures.Net Crew

Send a message via AIM to Chase55671 Send a message via MSN to Chase55671

Quote:
Is there a need to post that besides humiliation? Sure to us it looks terrible but to someone just starting out in photography (we all have been there) it may look fine. I find the way administrators on this site call out people (not just now) rather unprofessional. Like the title of this thread. Is Chase happy he was called out in front of everyone? I am sure he isn't. Sure he may have been doing that, but a simple email would solve everything. Wanna get the point across? Sticky a topic in the forum regarding it. I just feel something like this will turn people away from photography very quickly. Is criticism good? Yes. But posting someones picture up here for people to laugh at is just not right.
I think you took it the wrong way, Max. I don't think Chris called me out, but instead made a point.. There was nothing that I took offense to. The internet is obviously subtle and it's hard to tell what Chris' motive was, but I know I didn't take it offensively.

How is posting a reject thumbnail any different than the humiliation one may receive by making his/her rejections public? He/she is setting themselves up by posting that type of material anyway, as a quick glance at what is accepted would reveal that there photos do not compare to the accepted ones.

Chase
Click here to view my photos at Railpictures.Net
SLR Night Photography Tutorial | Railpictures.Net Beginners Guide
Chase55671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 04:04 AM   #47
Soo 6060
EMD > GE

[quote=Chris Kilroy;125711]In the spirit of opening up rejects ...

Hi Mr. Kilroy

Help me out here. This was appealed, and I had NO Admin comments left for this photo. Sure, I'll admit that there may be some flaws with it but come on, would it really be that time consuming to issue me some screener comments? Goodness.

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...&key=416330822
Soo 6060 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 04:09 AM   #48
Chris Kilroy
Administrator

[quote=Soo 6060;125717]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Kilroy View Post

Hi Mr. Kilroy

Help me out here. This was appealed, and I had NO Admin comments left for this photo. Sure, I'll admit that there may be some flaws with it but come on, would it really be that time consuming to issue me some screener comments? Goodness.

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...&key=416330822
I don't see the cropping issue (didn't screen it originally), but it's unlevel (leaning to the right) and REALLY soft.
Old 11-30-2010, 04:10 AM   #49
Chris Kilroy
Administrator

Quote:
Oh come on. It was just a fun little post to show some of what we get to deal with that you don't normally get to see. And, you know what, sometimes people need to be called out publicly. It happens to us every day on here.

BTW, Chase and I are friends; he knows what my "motives" were.
Old 11-30-2010, 04:11 AM   #50
JRMDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soo 6060 View Post
The issue of screener comments has been long debated, this post offers nothing more. I have no insight regarding the cropping, but I have one other word to offer:

O V E R S H A R P E N E D

Edit: how is it possible that Chris sees soft and I see oversharpened? Well, sharpening can't hide flaws in the original. It can be the case that one has a soft original, sharpens it up out of desperation, and ends up with oversharpening halos all over the place but not the desired crispness.

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots

Last edited by JRMDC; 11-30-2010 at 04:14 AM.
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote