Old 04-09-2020, 12:50 PM   #1
baggydave

Default Have a laugh on me

Hope all of you out there are keeping safe. Looks as though a lot of members are spending their time, like me, going through old files. I came up with this from 10 years ago and submitted, sort of guessing what the respnse would be.
https://www.railpictures.net/viewrej...72&key=4193030
Wasn't wrong. Take care
baggydave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 01:48 PM   #2
RobJor

Quote:
Originally Posted by baggydave View Post
Hope all of you out there are keeping safe. Looks as though a lot of members are spending their time, like me, going through old files. I came up with this from 10 years ago and submitted, sort of guessing what the respnse would be.
Wasn't wrong. Take care
Really cool photo, so vibrant. Too bad rejected.

Bob Jordan
RobJor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 06:46 PM   #3
KevinM

Honestly, my only issue with it is that I might have gone a bit looser with the crop on the left. If you're going to show all of the trolley, give it some space. Otherwise, I am just fine with it. We have an endless parade of featureless diesel wedgies here. It would be nice to have some variety, and I personally love vintage trolleys. Modern light rail.....not so much.

My RP stuff is here.

Link to my Flickr Albums. Albums from Steam Railroads all over the US.
KevinM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 06:59 PM   #4
baggydave

I think they got it wrong. Should have been not enough light on two noses!!
Old 04-09-2020, 08:36 PM   #5
John Russell - NZ

Classic! If it was submitted back when it was taken my bet is that it would have been accepted, as it should have been.
John Russell - NZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 09:43 PM   #6
bigbassloyd

I would have accepted it, and I'm an '---hole'

Loyd L.

My personal photography site
bigbassloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 10:36 PM   #7
miningcamper1

Has anyone been able to get a "nose too dark" rejection reversed by use of the shadows adjustment in an editor?

RP Photos: www.railpictures.net/miningcamper1/
miningcamper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 11:14 PM   #8
Decapod401

Quote:
Originally Posted by miningcamper1 View Post
Has anyone been able to get a "nose too dark" rejection reversed by use of the shadows adjustment in an editor?
I've submitted quite a few where I have attempted to minimize the shadows. Sometimes they are accepted. If not, I don't appeal.

If you're curious, a lot of them are in JMF's album:

https://www.railpictures.net/album/4471/

My RP Pics are HERE.

I've now got a Flickr. account, too.

Last edited by Decapod401; 04-10-2020 at 02:06 AM.
Decapod401 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 11:25 PM   #9
Decapod401

Quote:
Wasn't wrong. Take care
I like it, and I've always been intrigued by your photos from Beamish. I was in the UK about two years ago, staying with non-rail type friends in Cheltenham. We rode the Gloucestershire Warwickshire Railway; but if I ever get back, Beamish is definitely on the itinerary.

My RP Pics are HERE.

Old 04-10-2020, 12:31 AM   #10
John Russell - NZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Decapod401 View Post
I've submitted quite a few where I have attempted to minimize the shadows. Sometimes they are accepted/ If not, I don't appeal.

If you're curious, a lot of them are in JMF's album:

https://www.railpictures.net/album/4471/
I have not seen that album before and good on JMF for creating it. As I have shared with several posts about alleged backlit or shadow on nose rejections, non-frontal nose light for some shots allows loco headlights to pop to life. This rejection reason is what peeves me most about RPN. My most faved photo here is back-lit which I dared to try only recently. I doubt that many photogs would quit a lineside shot just 'cause light was no longer frontal. Does back-lit shots bother viewers such than screening out is needed to protect them? I've managed to get a few rejected shots in with minor editing tweaks which the acceptance might have been because of but might not have, who knows?
John Russell - NZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2020, 09:24 AM   #11
baggydave

Quote:
I like it, and I've always been intrigued by your photos from Beamish. I was in the UK about two years ago, staying with non-rail type friends in Cheltenham. We rode the Gloucestershire Warwickshire Railway; but if I ever get back, Beamish is definitely on the itinerary.
Doug, if you get over after this odd period of our lives has ended please get in touch and I will arrange a tour for you. Best time is in April as they usually have a four day transport gala. Visiting locomotives, trams, cars and motorcycles, traction engines and lorries. Some of the cars and lorries are steam driven and all have to be in the time span around 1913. Always something happening at weekends and the sumer months though. Will also arrange a visit to Tanfield Railway which is two miles from Beamish and is the oldest railway in the world. In 2025 it will celebrate its 300th anniversary and plans are in place aready for a massive festival.
Old 04-11-2020, 07:31 PM   #12
JimThias

I can't believe in 2020 they are still obsessed with photos being backlit. I got over that nonsense years ago. Don't get me wrong, I still love a shot with perfect sun angle, but being a little backlit like the OP's shot takes nothing away from the composition and subject matter.

They'd probably reject these for being backlit, but i love the lighting on them and that's all that matters.

This pretty much sums it up: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Thias

Last edited by JimThias; 04-11-2020 at 07:37 PM.
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2020, 10:51 PM   #13
baggydave

This got rejected for being back lit.I have the same sentiments as Jim. I photograph a lot at Tanfield Railway and the line runs South to North and all the locomotives face north. It is a wonder i ever get anything on this site lol
https://www.flickr.com/photos/djhewi...n/photostream/
Old 04-13-2020, 06:00 AM   #14
J-M Frybourg

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimThias View Post
I can't believe in 2020 they are still obsessed with photos being backlit. I got over that nonsense years ago.
Fully agree! I suspect that the nonsense may come from the basic rules for beginners to avoid backlit noses, a rule that seems to be taken pretty seriously in the US. When I was learning photography, I was just warned about that, and told to use my own judgment, etc.

The problem is, most seasoned phtographers get used to avoid the truly annoying nose backlit circumstances that may ruin a picture, e.g. backlit together with high sun, and "properly" backlit pictures enhance the contrasts and textures, in a nutshell it makes pictures look better, less dull than sun-in-the back ones. Seems that RPN keeps closer to "beginners-sticking-to-the-basic-rules" system of photographic values, rejecting loads of pictures that site visitors would like to see.
J-M Frybourg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2020, 07:36 PM   #15
RobJor

To be fair, once they approach "creative/artistic" they do get accepted, become screeners choice, late light, sunset, never sure where that line starts.

However, just old wedgie daylight usually does not have a chance.
Never tried this, but would never try to lighten the shadow.

Bob Jordan
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	RG.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	1.34 MB
ID:	9789  

Last edited by RobJor; 04-13-2020 at 07:39 PM.
Old 04-13-2020, 09:01 PM   #16
Decapod401

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobJor View Post
To be fair, once they approach "creative/artistic" they do get accepted, become screeners choice, late light, sunset, never sure where that line starts.

Bob Jordan
I like it, but I think a little bit of shadow adjustment would help. Don't forget, Kodachrome was high-contrast. A nose with some paint detail stands a better chance of acceptance than a black one.

Click image for larger version

Name:	RG-1.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	337.1 KB
ID:	9790

My RP Pics are HERE.

Old 04-13-2020, 09:12 PM   #17
RobJor

Quote:
I like it, but I think a little bit of shadow adjustment would help. Don't forget, Kodachrome was high-contrast. A nose with some paint detail stands a better chance of acceptance than a black one.

Attachment 9790

Yes, I agree, I even upped the contrast in curves a little just to make a point. I think on a bright CO morning the shadows should be a little deep. What I don't like is where I change an image from what I like to something that might be accepted and then it is rejected anyway, a lose lose?

Bob
Old 04-13-2020, 10:11 PM   #18
Decapod401

Quote:
Yes, I agree, I even upped the contrast in curves a little just to make a point. I think on a bright CO morning the shadows should be a little deep. What I don't like is where I change an image from what I like to something that might be accepted and then it is rejected anyway, a lose lose?

Bob
It's not a lose-lose if your goal is to improve the photo. If you like it as-is, that's fine. I would ask if you had been standing there with the D750 that you use now, would the shadows be that strong?

My RP Pics are HERE.

Old 04-13-2020, 10:14 PM   #19
Decapod401

Quote:
Doug, if you get over after this odd period of our lives has ended please get in touch and I will arrange a tour for you. Best time is in April as they usually have a four day transport gala. Visiting locomotives, trams, cars and motorcycles, traction engines and lorries. Some of the cars and lorries are steam driven and all have to be in the time span around 1913. Always something happening at weekends and the sumer months though. Will also arrange a visit to Tanfield Railway which is two miles from Beamish and is the oldest railway in the world. In 2025 it will celebrate its 300th anniversary and plans are in place aready for a massive festival.
Dave,

Thanks for the gracious invitation. If I do indeed make it back there, I will contact you.

My RP Pics are HERE.

Old 04-14-2020, 12:45 AM   #20
RobJor

Quote:
It's not a lose-lose if your goal is to improve the photo. If you like it as-is, that's fine. I would ask if you had been standing there with the D750 that you use now, would the shadows be that strong?
I understand what you are saying and I can pull the shadows out of the slide. What I wish to avoid however is moving to the point I see sometimes where the shadows become non-shadows, just a kinda dull ...

Oh, after 5 years I moved on camera wise but .... now no where to go.

Bob
Old 04-14-2020, 01:33 AM   #21
JimThias

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-M Frybourg View Post
Fully agree! I suspect that the nonsense may come from the basic rules for beginners to avoid backlit noses, a rule that seems to be taken pretty seriously in the US. When I was learning photography, I was just warned about that, and told to use my own judgment, etc.

The problem is, most seasoned phtographers get used to avoid the truly annoying nose backlit circumstances that may ruin a picture, e.g. backlit together with high sun, and "properly" backlit pictures enhance the contrasts and textures, in a nutshell it makes pictures look better, less dull than sun-in-the back ones. Seems that RPN keeps closer to "beginners-sticking-to-the-basic-rules" system of photographic values, rejecting loads of pictures that site visitors would like to see.
Very valid observation, JMF.

This pretty much sums it up: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Thias
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2020, 04:01 PM   #22
baggydave

A question for all you good people out there. I am old and my eyes are going, gonna need a cataract operation sometime, is this blurry?
https://www.railpictures.net/viewrej...46&key=2218999
So Doug, you'd better hurry up and get over here
Old 04-14-2020, 04:39 PM   #23
bigbassloyd

Not sure if I'd call it blurry, but there's definitely a lack of image quality. Possibly noise removal or trying to use too little of the file from cropping?

Loyd L.

My personal photography site
bigbassloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2020, 05:24 PM   #24
miningcamper1

Quote:

Bob Jordan
I'm fine with the light, but looking at the cars on the tangent, it's leaning right about 4 degrees!

RP Photos: www.railpictures.net/miningcamper1/
miningcamper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2020, 06:06 PM   #25
RobJor

Quote:
A question for all you good people out there. I am old and my eyes are going, gonna need a cataract operation sometime, is this blurry?
https://www.railpictures.net/viewrej...46&key=2218999
So Doug, you'd better hurry up and get over here

Was this your original try? What happens to me I start out with something I think is OK, maybe not great, then correct this, correct that and then it just gets worse and I give up or get a final reject.

Here is one I chose because not too common, the Iselin shops Glass house at Jackson, TN on the GM & O, gave up. then the next one bombed, I have others maybe better but I lost interest fo now. I like for the reject que to empty but now need to wait 31 days????

https://www.railpictures.net/viewrej...58&key=4164198

Bob