Old 05-05-2010, 07:30 PM   #1
coborn35

Default Bad Cropping how?

EDIT:
Image © Max Medlin
PhotoID: 323572
Photograph © Max Medlin

Thanks guys!
I personally have had a problem with those trying to tell us to turn railroad photography into an "art form." It's fine for them to do so, I welcome it in fact, but what I do have a problem with is that the practitioners of the more "arty" shots, I have found, tend to look down their nose's at others who are shooting more "mundane" shots.
Railroad photography is what you make of it, but one way is not "better" than another, IMHO. Unless you have a pole right thought the nose of the engine! -SG

Last edited by coborn35; 05-08-2010 at 05:44 PM.
coborn35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 07:44 PM   #2
Paolo Roffo

Fix the link so we can see the reject. I think the one here links to your Rejects page.
Old 05-06-2010, 12:11 AM   #3
rathman11

I don't like how you cut off the storage line on the left hand side of the picture, as well as the tank car. Its a tad tighter on the right than in the first shot you are comparing it to but nothing too extreme, however, I would give it a little room if possible.

My RP photos

Flickr Photos
rathman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 01:24 AM   #4
coborn35

Storage line? I assume you mean the MT's. I see what you mean, and I do have some room I will play with.
I personally have had a problem with those trying to tell us to turn railroad photography into an "art form." It's fine for them to do so, I welcome it in fact, but what I do have a problem with is that the practitioners of the more "arty" shots, I have found, tend to look down their nose's at others who are shooting more "mundane" shots.
Railroad photography is what you make of it, but one way is not "better" than another, IMHO. Unless you have a pole right thought the nose of the engine! -SG
Old 05-06-2010, 04:34 AM   #5
coborn35

Edited above.
Old 05-06-2010, 04:58 AM   #6
Christopher Muller

Cut off the top 1/4 of the photo, and if you can go a little wider to the right you'll be golden... nice shot Max.
Christopher Muller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 07:49 PM   #7
rathman11

Quote:
Originally Posted by coborn35 View Post
Storage line? I assume you mean the MT's. I see what you mean, and I do have some room I will play with.
Yes, the MT's. Sorry, brain fart. Been a rough couple of days, it was the first thing that came to mind with everything else going on. I agree with Chris, the version you like more needs some taken off the top.

My RP photos

Flickr Photos
rathman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 06:56 PM   #8
coborn35

See Above.
Old 05-10-2010, 03:47 PM   #9
GIZMO

Quote:
Originally Posted by coborn35 View Post
EDIT:
Image © Max Medlin
PhotoID: 323572
Photograph © Max Medlin

Thanks guys!
Tremendous amount of good rolling stock here, consisting mostly of hopper cars, with a tremendous amount of uniformity which has a elegance all its own, indicating the nature of the business. IMO it would be most interesting to carry this theme a lot further, showing the magnitude and expanse of the operation, which would require showing more of the total length of the switch yard. There are apparently lots more rolling stock off camera, toward "six o'clock", yet the top 40% of the image seems wasted on a ho-hum sort of background and a so-so bunch of high clouds.

So you are shooting from "six o'clock" (enfilade) the length of the switch yard. Perhaps you are shooting from an overpass and that was the best angle, but if one could get an angle from "three o'clock" (especially) "or "nine o'clock" (possibly) with the nice elevation you have, you might be able to work in more of the motive power in addition to all the hopper cars. The high ground which I assume lies out at "nine o'clock" might help "cradle' or "embrace" the scene.
GIZMO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 05:32 PM   #10
coborn35

Nice advice, but no such shot can be had.