Old 09-07-2009, 09:43 PM   #1
ROn_J

Default Size rejection

I've just joined RailPictures and made my first uploads. One was rejected for not being sharp enough, while the other was rejected for being undersized. The undersized one is here:

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...d=729009&key=0

Am I right in thinking that to keep it within the 1024 pixel width limit then nothing I can do will make it over 680 minimum height without distorting the image? If not, can anyone give me some advice on resizing please?

If not, it seems a shame to reject it because of less then 50 pixels difference...
ROn_J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 09:53 PM   #2
EMTRailfan

Location: I can be found railfanning the abandoned B&O Northern Sub.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROn_J View Post
I've just joined RailPictures and made my first uploads. One was rejected for not being sharp enough, while the other was rejected for being undersized. The undersized one is here:

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...d=729009&key=0

Am I right in thinking that to keep it within the 1024 pixel width limit then nothing I can do will make it over 680 minimum height without distorting the image? If not, can anyone give me some advice on resizing please?

If not, it seems a shame to reject it because of less then 50 pixels difference...
About sizing, see here:
http://forums.railpictures.net/showthread.php?t=10679

As far as this specific photo, when you resize it, set the 'resize to' for the heighth to 680, and it should scale the width to larger than 1024. After the resize, crop from the left until you get the width to 1024 if it doesn't make it too tight on the loco. How much room do you have on the original in all directions, because it does look like it will be tight? This looks like a great location, but the rejection still looks a little soft, although it wasn't rejected for it.
Old 09-07-2009, 09:58 PM   #3
Northern Limits

It also looks like it needs a slight counter clockwise rotation (before you crop).

Click Here to view my photos at RailPictures.Net!
Northern Limits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 10:10 PM   #4
ROn_J

Thanks for the quick replies, I never thought of doing it 'backwards' by starting with the height then cropping. Now I just have to wait until tomorrow before I can re-upload it and try again!
ROn_J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 10:31 PM   #5
JimThias

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMTRailfan View Post
About sizing, see here:
http://forums.railpictures.net/showthread.php?t=10679

As far as this specific photo, when you resize it, set the 'resize to' for the heighth to 680, and it should scale the width to larger than 1024. After the resize, crop from the left until you get the width to 1024 if it doesn't make it too tight on the loco. How much room do you have on the original in all directions, because it does look like it will be tight?
Or you could just set up an Action in photoshop to place 4 guide lines at 1024 x 683, and then just resize the image (control-T) to fit inside those guide lines. And while you have it in resize mode, you can move the image around to fit "just right" inside that rectangle of guide lines. That's how I resize an image and it's the easiest (and quickest) way I've found.

Since he's using a 50D, it's likely he has more sky or ground to work with, considering the 50D's image ratio is 3:2, just as 1024 x 683 is. Personally, I think this image would look better with more sky and mountains, and would also move the horizontal line of the train down the image a bit lower. Right now it's kind of close to the middle.

This pretty much sums it up: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Thias
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 12:36 AM   #6
EMTRailfan

Location: I can be found railfanning the abandoned B&O Northern Sub.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimThias View Post
Personally, I think this image would look better with more sky and mountains, and would also move the horizontal line of the train down the image a bit lower. Right now it's kind of close to the middle.
Me too. I was going on the basis that this was some sort of panoramic shot, and didn't know what may be available with the orig. out of the camera for him to work with.

If you have more on top, please put it back