Old 11-05-2009, 04:49 PM   #26
Dennis A. Livesey

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Z View Post
While we're on the subject of b&w. Here's a shot where I used cp filter and it messed up the color. It seems to work a little different in b&w. Can I get an opinion on this one.

Chris Z.
Great composition, looks great in B&W!. Needs brightening and it's in.

Chris, I'm your newest fan.

I Foam Therefore I Am.

My pix on RailPics:

I am on Flickr as well:

"Dennis is such a God, he could do that with a camera obscura and some homemade acetate." Holloran Grade

"To me it looks drawn in in Paintshop. It looks like a puddle of orange on the sky." SFO777
Dennis A. Livesey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 04:58 PM   #27
Chris Z

Send a message via Skype™ to Chris Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis A. Livesey View Post
Great composition, looks great in B&W!. Needs brightening and it's in.

Chris, I'm your newest fan.
Wow, that makes me feel pretty good. I'll give it a try and see what happens. BTW, thanks for the nice comment.

Here's another one I personally like, but it got messed up by a cloud that rolled over. Bad timing on that.

Chris Z.

Last edited by Chris Z; 04-01-2010 at 04:52 AM.
Chris Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 05:19 PM   #28
Dennis A. Livesey

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Z View Post
Wow, that makes me feel pretty good. I'll give it a try and see what happens. BTW, thanks for the nice comment.

Here's another one I personally like, but it got messed up by a cloud that rolled over. Bad timing on that.

Chris Z.
Cheese whiz, you are your own worst critic! The 315 pan looks great! I'd like a little more room on the right but o/w looks like a winner to me.

This might start you thinking about looking back on other unsuccessful color shots and now doing a B&W conversion.

But that is a whole other debate!

'Nother hint: When out shooting and looking for B&W subjects, think texture.

I Foam Therefore I Am.

My pix on RailPics:

I am on Flickr as well:

"Dennis is such a God, he could do that with a camera obscura and some homemade acetate." Holloran Grade

"To me it looks drawn in in Paintshop. It looks like a puddle of orange on the sky." SFO777
Old 11-05-2009, 05:22 PM   #29
rino54

Hello!

Ok, I'm giving up ti add this picture to the database. Backlit then poorly lit ... anyway I'm happy with this thread. Nice that Chris is now thinking of B&W. If you want to do more, search for pictures with tones going from white to black and design element (lines, textures, shapes...). Your Cumbres shot has this : tones (from the white of the clouds to the black of the locomotives) and strong texture from the clouds.

The BNSF is more "greyish" and the composition is not so strong. If you work more B&W, you'll discover how the colours are distracting from the reading. Emotions are stronger with B&W shots.

About Dennys comment, I tried to light the dark side of the nose but i can't really do much. Anyway a B&W picture has to have black and white. Something I notice of most of the pictures on rp.net is how many shadows areas are lightened ... it's like photographers were ashamed of having dark areas on the shot. But it is the thing that gives the shape, the depth of a picture! People who own Steinheimer book A Passion for Trains will discover such pictures like Plate 127. It shows City of San Francisco Train from the back. The Back of the train is all dark with only some steam coming, doing a spot that attracts the eyes. Then you have all the caoches that are bright against a real dark hill. And on right you have a pine tree. Silhouettes are making this shot strong ... and most of the picture is dark, no details of the back, just a silhouette. If you want details ... then you have to let yout imagination working ... that a great B&W photography for me.

Great day.

Renaud
Old 11-05-2009, 05:32 PM   #30
JRMDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by rino54 View Post
Something I notice of most of the pictures on rp.net is how many shadows areas are lightened ... it's like photographers were ashamed of having dark areas on the shot. But it is the thing that gives the shape, the depth of a picture!
The shots on RP reflect the preferences of the owners and screeners, not necessarily of the photographers.

In general, the simpler the shot, the less tolerance for dark areas on the train itself.

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 05:58 PM   #31
Chris Z

Send a message via Skype™ to Chris Z

Here's the second shot. Thanks for all the help and encouragement from everyone here. I'll have to seriously look at b&w now.

Chris Z.
Image © Chris Zygmunt
PhotoID: 302971
Photograph © Chris Zygmunt
Chris Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 07:01 PM   #32
Dennis A. Livesey

Cool

Quote:
Something I notice of most of the pictures on rp.net is how many shadows areas are lightened ... it's like photographers were ashamed of having dark areas on the shot. But it is the thing that gives the shape, the depth of a picture!... If you want details ... then you have to let yout imagination working ... that a great B&W photography for me.
Renaud
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRMDC View Post
The shots on RP reflect the preferences of the owners and screeners, not necessarily of the photographers.
Agree with you Renaud about shadows but not the shame. Janusz points out the reality here.

I hope to get this one on soon...It needs some work I know

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...&key=537759000

I Foam Therefore I Am.

My pix on RailPics:

I am on Flickr as well:

Old 11-06-2009, 04:13 AM   #33
wds

This whole thread inspired me to look deeper into the B&W conversion aspect of digital photography. Didn't like any of my earlier tries, but decided to see what fall colors would look like in B&W. This one had some strong backlight on yellow leaves, and looked like a prime candidate for conversion. I like the way it turned out...
Image © W. D. Shaw
PhotoID: 303023
Photograph © W. D. Shaw

Thanks to Renaud and all the others for the insights.

~Wayne
Old 11-06-2009, 05:16 AM   #34
trainboysd40

Send a message via MSN to trainboysd40

Quote:
Something I notice of most of the pictures on rp.net is how many shadows areas are lightened ... it's like photographers were ashamed of having dark areas on the shot. But it is the thing that gives the shape, the depth of a picture!
I'm not going to deny that I did some silly stuff with photo processing last year, but this year I'm really trying to balance my shadows. Sometimes harsh contrast isn't everything =)
Obligatory link to shots on RP, HERE
trainboysd40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 03:06 PM   #35
Dennis A. Livesey

Cool

Here is my latest B&W. It took about 4 trys, I think the most ever for me, to get it accepted.

I liked versions I did with making the clouds black and another using selective color. This version is the safest, most likely not to be disliked version.

Image © Dennis A. Livesey-liveseyimages.com
PhotoID: 303183
Photograph © Dennis A. Livesey-liveseyimages.com

Here are the other versions so you can take a look.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2785/...70b71d7c_o.jpg
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2660/...cdbcf15c_o.jpg

I Foam Therefore I Am.

My pix on RailPics:

I am on Flickr as well:

Last edited by Dennis A. Livesey; 11-08-2009 at 10:49 PM.