Old 06-30-2013, 10:13 PM   #1
raildudemel

Default CRPA photo contest - shameless plug

For those who might not already be aware, The Center for Railroad Photography and Art 2013 photo contest, now called the John Gruber Awards Program, is offering cash prizes that total $1750 plus premiums donated by Canon USA and Lowepro. The contest theme this year is "creative image". To be honest, I can't define what a creative image is, though we do seem to know it when we see it. In looking at prior contest winners, every one of them can be said to contain some element of creativity and that's all that counts. In effect, the contest is wide open to any subject, any style. I see lots of creative images right here on RP. Last years first place winner is a name that you might be find familiar. Here is a link to contest details:

http://www.railphoto-art.org/awards/2013-awards/

Best of luck to all who enter.

Mel Patrick
Denver, Colorado
raildudemel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 12:55 AM   #2
Hatchetman
Part-Time Railfan

Deadline is Aug 1, so better hop on it!
Old 07-01-2013, 01:57 AM   #3
troy12n
Banned

I'm gonna submit the reflection shot
troy12n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 11:20 PM   #4
raildudemel

Just a reminder to all interested, the CRPA Gruber Awards Program photo contest entry deadline is now less than 4 week away.
Old 07-06-2013, 11:51 PM   #5
Ron Flanary

Quote:
Originally Posted by raildudemel View Post
...The contest theme this year is "creative image". To be honest, I can't define what a creative image is, though we do seem to know it when we see it...

Mel Patrick
Denver, Colorado
Mel: YOU can't define what a creative image is?

In related news, I've never eaten soup beans, onions, collard greens and corn bread.

RF
Ron Flanary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 02:04 AM   #6
JRMDC

Ron, you've been pretending for a long time, been living a double life. Give in, retire with dignity, go get a nice house in suburban Boston where you belong. Maybe a place in New Hampshire, even Long Island.

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 05:08 AM   #7
raildudemel

Ron, let's face it, creativity if nothing else is subjective. What I call creative, others might call weird. What others call creative, I might call boring. There is no right or wrong definition, and those diverse likes and dislikes do provide variety.

There are many rooms in the House of Eastman. Just because we look through the windows, doesn't mean we intend to walk through the doors.

Mel Patrick (who once baked cornbread for 600)
Old 07-07-2013, 03:36 PM   #8
Ron Flanary

Quote:
Ron, let's face it, creativity if nothing else is subjective. What I call creative, others might call weird. What others call creative, I might call boring. There is no right or wrong definition, and those diverse likes and dislikes do provide variety.

There are many rooms in the House of Eastman. Just because we look through the windows, doesn't mean we intend to walk through the doors.

Mel Patrick (who once baked cornbread for 600)
Mel: Let's not use the term "weird" if you and I are talking about each other. It hits too close to home in both cases.

RF
Old 07-07-2013, 03:37 PM   #9
Ron Flanary

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRMDC View Post
Ron, you've been pretending for a long time, been living a double life. Give in, retire with dignity, go get a nice house in suburban Boston where you belong. Maybe a place in New Hampshire, even Long Island.
With my accent, I would easily blend in around the Boston area...
Old 07-11-2013, 06:30 AM   #10
raildudemel

I just learned today that the winning contest images will be published in R&R and will be on display at the California State Railroad Museum. There should be at least 12 images picked in the "Judges Also Liked" category, most of which will be in the CSRM display and some of which will be published by R&R (layout and space permitting), and for the first time, the photographers of the Judges Also Liked pics will be given a one year membership in the CRPA which includes a subscription to the coveted Railroad Heritage magazine.
Old 07-15-2013, 04:14 AM   #11
raildudemel

Less than 3 weeks to go until the August 1st entry deadline.
Old 07-16-2013, 06:12 AM   #12
Kyle Korienek

So, with the August 1st deadline, why such a wait for the announcement of winners? September? I like the photos I submitted, and I want to see the winners soon, to either burst my bubble or be happy that I was acknowledged in my work...

My RP Photos

Flickr! New & Improved!

Me In A Speedo

"I don't do this to make money or to please anyone, you people are too difficult to please and too cheap to buy my crap."
Kyle Korienek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 07:04 AM   #13
raildudemel

Kyle, thank you for your question. The quick answer is that Sept corresponds with the quarterly publishing cycle for the Center's own magazine, "Railroad Heritage". By the way, if you get a chance, you should see the latest issue (33) that has one of the best covers and center-spead I've ever seen in a rail subject publication.

There is another, more important reason for being patient with the judging process. Consider, please, that if there are 200 photographers who enter the contest, each with 5 photographs, that's a total of 1,000 images. There will be 3 judges, and they will be viewing every one of the individual images. That's a hefty task and if one of those sets of photos were my own, I'd hope that the judges were viewing them with the care and respect they deserved, well aware of the passion we all share in our hobby.
Old 07-16-2013, 10:05 AM   #14
Kyle Korienek

Quote:
There is another, more important reason for being patient with the judging process. Consider, please, that if there are 200 photographers who enter the contest, each with 5 photographs, that's a total of 1,000 images. There will be 3 judges, and they will be viewing every one of the individual images. That's a hefty task and if one of those sets of photos were my own, I'd hope that the judges were viewing them with the care and respect they deserved, well aware of the passion we all share in our hobby.
This was the first year I had heard of this, I am surprised that there are so many submissions! In the past winners section, I had noticed that one person had done a majority of the commentary on winners, were they the only judge, or were there 3 (or more) then? And if there were, how does a group truly agree on "creative"? It is such an abstract and open ended idea, that can breed beautiful results, but can be hard to truly agree on, especially amongst 3 people.

My RP Photos

Flickr! New & Improved!

Me In A Speedo

"I don't do this to make money or to please anyone, you people are too difficult to please and too cheap to buy my crap."
Old 07-16-2013, 01:33 PM   #15
raildudemel

Selecting "best of" from a group of photos is subjective, and I hope each of the judges this year do have differing opinions as this should, with discussion, bring balance to the decision process. I too am anxious to see what they choose, though I do not envy their task as I suspect it will not be easy.
Old 07-23-2013, 07:22 AM   #16
raildudemel

A reminder, the contest entry deadline is August 1st, only 9 days left.
Old 07-23-2013, 02:57 PM   #17
magicman_841

Thank god I'm not really creative. Don't have to sweat this one out.
Old 07-23-2013, 03:31 PM   #18
raildudemel

Mathieu, I would not describe your photos as lacking creativity. Of course, I still can not define creativity and if anyone else can do so, I would really appreciate if they would share that information with us.

While the contest prize money is nice, the reality is that we all enjoy rail photography in our own way, a passion we share.
Old 09-03-2013, 09:17 AM   #19
Kyle Korienek

Well, Mel, patience is probably getting the best of all contestants, can we get an unofficial countdown of the days until winners are announced?

My RP Photos

Flickr! New & Improved!

Me In A Speedo

Old 09-03-2013, 04:38 PM   #20
raildudemel

Kyle, I expect an announcement on the judges' final choices will be made shortly. Almost 400 images were received and there are some mighty interesting photos in the mix this year. The judging has entailed considerable discussion and frankly, choosing the best of the best is not an easy task.

Mel Patrick
Old 09-24-2013, 06:17 PM   #21
sd9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle Korienek View Post
Well, Mel, patience is probably getting the best of all contestants, can we get an unofficial countdown of the days until winners are announced?
And the winner is.......
http://www.railphoto-art.org/awards/2013-awards/
sd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 06:57 PM   #22
magicman_841

Glad I didn't submit anything. I would have to shamefully admit that I really suck.

That is some awesome photography.
Old 09-24-2013, 09:41 PM   #23
Mark T

Quote:
Originally Posted by magicman_841 View Post
Glad I didn't submit anything. I would have to shamefully admit that I really suck.

That is some awesome photography.
Plus one! That's a stunning photo.

My flickr
Mark T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 02:43 AM   #24
raildudemel

Guys, I know how you feel. I had the privilege of seeing all the images submitted before the judging began and I'm left torn between putting the camera away in awe of those who produce such striking images and being inspired to do more exciting photography. No shame in enjoying great photography by others!
Old 09-25-2013, 03:54 AM   #25
troy12n
Banned

The one that won, is really good.

Second prize: WTF???

Third prize: we've seen that one before

Other than the one that won, I think most of them are mundane compared to what they have had in the past. There's a few really nice ones though.
troy12n is offline   Reply With Quote