Old 12-29-2009, 11:23 PM   #26
gotransitf59ph

Send a message via AIM to gotransitf59ph Send a message via MSN to gotransitf59ph

Ok I went to Willowbrook Yard today and took some shots. This time its sunny today. What does anyone think of this one? Will it make it to rp?

P.S. i might have to crop it a little i guess?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0308.jpg
Views:	244
Size:	207.0 KB
ID:	4960  
Old 12-29-2009, 11:34 PM   #27
milwman
I shoot what I like

Send a message via Yahoo to milwman

Getting better, Did you shoot more moving to the right and back shooting extra shots?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/22299476@N05/
Old 12-29-2009, 11:36 PM   #28
Walter S

Send a message via AIM to Walter S

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotransitf59ph View Post
Ok I went to Willowbrook Yard today and took some shots. This time its sunny today. What does anyone think of this one? Will it make it to rp?

P.S. i might have to crop it a little i guess?
The quality is definitely better but do you have any other versions of the shot? You have way to much dead space on the right.
Old 12-29-2009, 11:38 PM   #29
gotransitf59ph

Send a message via AIM to gotransitf59ph Send a message via MSN to gotransitf59ph

Quote:
Originally Posted by milwman View Post
Getting better, Did you shoot more moving to the right and back shooting extra shots?
I shot through the bridge.
Old 12-29-2009, 11:45 PM   #30
gotransitf59ph

Thumbs up

More photos :
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0376.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	216.5 KB
ID:	4961   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0475.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	175.0 KB
ID:	4962  
Old 12-29-2009, 11:51 PM   #31
chuckman

Quote:
WOW omg rp what have you done!? i can only upload one photo now because i tried to upload a perfectly good one sitting there! Man I thought you wanted train enthusiasts to upload the BEST photos on there. All i was trying to do was become part of this because i have already made videos of trains on youtube.. but i cant take photos and put them on rp? I asked this Nikon D3000 for a christmas gift from my parents so i could use it to take photos and put them on rp.. but NO! i cant you know why? because you wont accept my photos that look just as good as the others on the website.

OMG rp! Im just a new photographer trying to become part of this because i love trains. YOU JUST LOVE TO CUT DOWN UPLOAD LIMITS DO YOU!?

Ya rp keep rejecting my photos.

P.S You hate newbies dont you? IM 16 years old!!!

To everyone else on this forum: I have read the guidelines and everything! Please help me get going on this! I know it takes a long time to get the hang of this!
I'm 13 and I'm down to two. Just don't flood the screeners database with stuff unless you really think it will get in! Keep asking around here too! I find it very helpful and I'm sure you will too!

My photos on flickr...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/53728467@N08/
Old 12-29-2009, 11:55 PM   #32
Walter S

Send a message via AIM to Walter S

Quote:
More photos :
Ive noticted you usually stand right above the center of the tracks, not the best angle in my opinion.

Your first image has no nose light and has dead space on the left and right, I would have went vertical on this. It also has no noselight.

The second image has dead space on the right, that dirt road does nothing for the image.
Old 12-29-2009, 11:55 PM   #33
coborn35

Chase your 15?! If I missed a joke I will feel relieved because damn you take some good pictures.
I personally have had a problem with those trying to tell us to turn railroad photography into an "art form." It's fine for them to do so, I welcome it in fact, but what I do have a problem with is that the practitioners of the more "arty" shots, I have found, tend to look down their nose's at others who are shooting more "mundane" shots.
Railroad photography is what you make of it, but one way is not "better" than another, IMHO. Unless you have a pole right thought the nose of the engine! -SG
Old 12-30-2009, 12:11 AM   #34
MNJRR

Send a message via AIM to MNJRR Send a message via MSN to MNJRR

chase does take awesome shots, i'm 16 and i can't do that but then again i lack creativity and thats my main issue, that and clouds. As for you gotransitf59ph all i can say is dont be in a rush, i only have 4 shots in the database and thats of maybe 30-40 uploads. You can learn from the rejections, and post them on the forum i've learned alot from the forum and lot of things i thought i was doing right were wrong, so take everyones advice. That is how i have learned.

As other people have said, dont shoot on cloudy days as they're almost always rejected unless the bad weather is used creativly. Keep the sun behind you and always have lights on the train, yes there is plenty of shots with odd lighting but that takes practice. Start simple, if all you can manage is the simple wedge shot go for it. Look at what is accepted and slowly you'll learn how to become more creative.

My videos on youtube
My pictures on Railpictures
Old 12-30-2009, 12:25 AM   #35
JimThias

Quote:
No!!!! I can only upload 1 photo now! What!? >
Then upload one a day and be done with it. Is that a problem?

This pretty much sums it up: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Thias
Old 12-30-2009, 12:44 AM   #36
gotransitf59ph

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimThias View Post
Theres many good ones i took today but im not sure :P
Old 12-30-2009, 12:55 AM   #37
stevenmwelch

Send a message via AIM to stevenmwelch Send a message via Yahoo to stevenmwelch

Quote:
Theres many good ones i took today but im not sure :P
You said the one that Andrew posted was "good" and I almost threw up my burrito.

Chase didn't feel like typing a long reply about the shot, and I don't either. Here's two words that sum up your shots so far:

They. Suck.
My Photos on RP
My RP Rejects and then Some
Old 12-30-2009, 12:58 AM   #38
gotransitf59ph

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevenmwelch View Post
You said the one that Andrew posted was "good" and I almost threw up my burrito.

Chase didn't feel like typing a long reply about the shot, and I don't either. Here's two words that sum up your shots so far:

They. Suck.
I just threw up now!

oh btw, they suck because IM NEW AT THIS i didn't say it was good i said the one on my other topic was good the one with the VIA and the GO.. you should think before posting! oh well better luck next time

Last edited by gotransitf59ph; 12-30-2009 at 01:01 AM.
Old 12-30-2009, 01:18 AM   #39
Chase55671
RailPictures.Net Crew

Send a message via AIM to Chase55671 Send a message via MSN to Chase55671

Quote:
Originally Posted by coborn35 View Post
Chase your 15?! If I missed a joke I will feel relieved because damn you take some good pictures.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MNJRR View Post
chase does take awesome shots, i'm 16 and i can't do that but then again i lack creativity and thats my main issue, that and clouds.
Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimThias View Post
Right. It's a good way to learn how to be selective. Whoever made that comment some time back about how the admins should make 1 or 2 per 24 hours the default for all new members, then it they have a decent batting average of getting images accepted, it eventually be increased to perhaps 5 or 6 had a very legit point that I found effective.

10 a day with people who know absolutely nothing about photography is a guaranteed upload reduction, atleast in my opinion.

My two-tenths worth again.
Chase
Click here to view my photos at Railpictures.Net
SLR Night Photography Tutorial | Railpictures.Net Beginners Guide
Old 12-30-2009, 01:21 AM   #40
milwman
I shoot what I like

Quote:
IM NEW AT THIS i didn't say it was good
Chill, slow down, This will take time. How much time? Depends on how fast you start looking and working a shot and figure out what going to work for you. Some have talent some more than others. You have to have light a train and something worth a shot to. Look at your background, Is it clean and uncluttered? Foreground, Sight lines, Shadows that may fall on the train? Is it a safe spot to stand? Think, look and shoot.

Old 12-30-2009, 01:23 AM   #41
gotransitf59ph

Quote:
Originally Posted by milwman View Post
Chill, slow down, This will take time. How much time? Depends on how fast you start looking and working a shot and figure out what going to work for you. Some have talent some more than others. You have to have light a train and something worth a shot to. Look at your background, Is it clean and uncluttered? Foreground, Sight lines, Shadows that may fall on the train? Is it a safe spot to stand? Think, look and shoot.
Thanks!
Old 12-30-2009, 01:27 AM   #42
JRMDC

First, you have learned a lesson about behaving like a 15 year old in what is an adult forum. It doesn't work. Learn that lesson very well and you will have no problems here. Try to behave like you behave among your friends, instead of amount people who are adults and strangers to you, and you will have continued trouble. We are friendly but we are adults for the most part and those who are not still behave as such. With the occasional episode of less than ideal ranting and raving, of course.

Second, learn how to PUNT. This means that, to get started on getting pictures onto RP, you need to choose well lit days, simple locations, and basic compositions. Nothing fancy in any dimension. Consult this new post in a thread you have been referred to before:

http://forums.railpictures.net/showp...9&postcount=12

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
Old 12-30-2009, 01:30 AM   #43
gotransitf59ph

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRMDC View Post
First, you have learned a lesson about behaving like a 15 year old in what is an adult forum. It doesn't work. Learn that lesson very well and you will have no problems here. Try to behave like you behave among your friends, instead of amount people who are adults and strangers to you, and you will have continued trouble. We are friendly but we are adults for the most part and those who are not still behave as such. With the occasional episode of less than ideal ranting and raving, of course.

Second, learn how to PUNT. This means that, to get started on getting pictures onto RP, you need to choose well lit days, simple locations, and basic compositions. Nothing fancy in any dimension. Consult this new post in a thread you have been referred to before:

http://forums.railpictures.net/showp...9&postcount=12
Sorry guys, I tend to get mad some times and I promise it wont happen again. I have on and off days for most of my life. Lesson learned! I will check out that link
Old 12-30-2009, 01:40 AM   #44
Chase55671
RailPictures.Net Crew

Quote:
First, you have learned a lesson about behaving like a 15 year old in what is an adult forum. It doesn't work.
Hey now, J! I'm only 15. You better watch what you say.

Chase
Old 12-30-2009, 01:42 AM   #45
cblaz

Quote:
We are friendly but we are adults for the most part and those who are not still behave as such.
I'm sure you're using the term "adult" in its loosest definition. Observe a typical RP forum participant:

Image ©
PhotoID:
Photograph ©

- Chris
Old 12-30-2009, 01:54 AM   #46
JRMDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chase55671 View Post
Hey now, J! I'm only 15. You better watch what you say.

Chase
If you want to make it to Strasburg you better not challenge me, DC is roughly in between you and there! Or find a routing via Buffalo.

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
Old 12-30-2009, 02:00 AM   #47
Chase55671
RailPictures.Net Crew

Quote:
If you want to make it to Strasburg you better not challenge me, DC is roughly in between you and there! Or find a routing via Buffalo.
'Nuff said! No further comment from me.

Chase
Old 12-30-2009, 02:12 AM   #48
KevinM

In general, the best advice for newbies is to read the forums and look at lots and lots of photos before ever submitting the first. Unfortunately, the typical approach is to join and proceed to blitz the screening queue with a ton of shots that just aren't up to the standard. Invariably, that leads to an upload limit, a flare of temper and just an overall bad experience. Folks who are young (say, under 40 ) have a tendency to want instant gratification. Most pursuits in life do not bring instant gratification, and RP is definitely no exception.

Patience is so key here, my friend. Virtually everyone comes here thinking they've got fantastic photos to post and virtually all of us crashed and burned on our first upteen attempts. The problem is that newbies (yes, we were all one once) typically take a while to develop an eye for the sort of photography that RP is looking for. None of us were born with it. It is an acquired skill. Chase's guide for RP newbies is a good starting point. I would advise reading it, heeding the advice and then coming here to the forums with the best of your results. Don't waste the Screener's time (they are all volunteers) until you've got something that the group here considers close to the mark. THEN, try submitting.

Best to put the brakes on, start with the basics and be slow and methodical.

Good luck!!

My RP stuff is here.

Link to my Flickr Albums. Lots of Steam Railroad stuff there from all over the US.

Last edited by KevinM; 12-30-2009 at 02:15 AM.
Old 12-30-2009, 02:23 AM   #49
milwman
I shoot what I like

Quote:
Thanks!
Start by picking a shot you like on here and try to make the same shot, thats one way to start. Get the timing down.

Old 12-30-2009, 02:24 AM   #50
ja757

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinM View Post
In general, the best advice for newbies is to read the forums and look at lots and lots of photos before ever submitting the first. Unfortunately, the typical approach is to join and proceed to blitz the screening queue with a ton of shots that just aren't up to the standard. Invariably, that leads to an upload limit, a flare of temper and just an overall bad experience. Folks who are young (say, under 40 ) have a tendency to want instant gratification. Most pursuits in life do not bring instant gratification, and RP is definitely no exception.

Patience is so key here, my friend. Virtually everyone comes here thinking they've got fantastic photos to post and virtually all of us crashed and burned on our first upteen attempts. The problem is that newbies (yes, we were all one once) typically take a while to develop an eye for the sort of photography that RP is looking for. None of us were born with it. It is an acquired skill. Chase's guide for RP newbies is a good starting point. I would advise reading it, heeding the advice and then coming here to the forums with the best of your results. Don't waste the Screener's time (they are all volunteers) until you've got something that the group here considers close to the mark. THEN, try submitting.

Best to put the brakes on, start with the basics and be slow and methodical.

Good luck!!
AMEN to that brother!
But hopefully this wont go get any bigger or cause anyone to get on anyone`s bad side=P