Go Back   RailPictures.Net Forums > Railroad Photography Forums > Railroad Photography Forum

Old 01-18-2017, 04:43 AM   #26
nikos1

Quote:
Originally Posted by troy12n View Post
You are such a troll Nikos...
LOL!!! and thats coming from the biggest troll on the RP forums, though I didnt know providing a proper counter argument to your needless bitching was trolling.

Wedge shots of blue HLCX SD60's http://www.railpictures.net/showphotos.php?userid=7861

More wedge shots of blue HLCX SD60's http://nikos1.rrpicturearchives.net/

Video wedge shots of blue HLCX SD60's
http://youtube.com/profile?user=nikosjk1
nikos1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 02:39 PM   #27
bigbassloyd

I should post a bunch of 611 shots just because.

Loyd L.
Old 01-18-2017, 04:04 PM   #28
coborn35

Yeah, no...
I personally have had a problem with those trying to tell us to turn railroad photography into an "art form." It's fine for them to do so, I welcome it in fact, but what I do have a problem with is that the practitioners of the more "arty" shots, I have found, tend to look down their nose's at others who are shooting more "mundane" shots.
Railroad photography is what you make of it, but one way is not "better" than another, IMHO. Unless you have a pole right thought the nose of the engine! -SG
coborn35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 05:29 PM   #29
Decapod401

Quote:
Originally Posted by coborn35 View Post
Yeah, no...
Thanks for your helpful advice!
Decapod401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 10:22 PM   #30
troy12n
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikos1 View Post
LOL!!! and thats coming from the biggest troll on the RP forums, though I didnt know providing a proper counter argument to your needless bitching was trolling.
So hanging out around a website you no longer contribute to, for the sole purpose of being a dick does not classify you as a troll?? Thanks for clearing that up...

troy12n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 10:22 PM   #31
troy12n
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbassloyd View Post
I should post a bunch of 611 shots just because.

Loyd L.
I'm sure yours are better than mine, so you might as well
Old 01-18-2017, 10:28 PM   #32
troy12n
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cameron A. Photography View Post
Nothing's changed! Still the same crybabies weeping about their christawful 611 dildo shots not making it. I guess there's a reason I never post here. Too much butthurt. Shoot a shortline for godsake.

Instead of weeping, FIX the problem you are having. Upload to Flickr. Present a slideshow. Reinvent.
For the record, you have 574 photos in the DB, and at a quick glance, it appears over half of them are taken from the same 3 locations in Toronto of mostly CN and CP... so keep throwing stones
Old 01-18-2017, 11:09 PM   #33
miningcamper1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cameron A. Photography View Post
Glad to see these message boards have not changed since I made an account here years ago.

Nothing's changed! Still the same crybabies weeping about their christawful 611 dildo shots not making it. I guess there's a reason I never post here. Too much butthurt. Shoot a shortline for godsake.

Instead of weeping, FIX the problem you are having. Upload to Flickr. Present a slideshow. Reinvent.

-C
Solution for your complaints? Easy! Don't click on "Forums".

RP Photos: www.railpictures.net/miningcamper1/
miningcamper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 02:06 AM   #34
Cameron A. Photography

Send a message via MSN to Cameron A. Photography

Quote:
Originally Posted by troy12n View Post
For the record, you have 574 photos in the DB, and at a quick glance, it appears over half of them are taken from the same 3 locations in Toronto of mostly CN and CP... so keep throwing stones
lol, keep making weepy pity threads, bud.

The RP
The Flickr
Cameron A. Photography is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 05:47 AM   #35
John West
Senior Curmudgeon

This place is becoming almost as much "fun" as the Altamont Press discussion board.
John West is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 05:55 AM   #36
miningcamper1

Quote:
Originally Posted by John West View Post
This place is becoming almost as much "fun" as the Altamont Press discussion board.
Oh, I don't know.
What's worse? A food fight, or no posts at all for a week?

Free HG!

Old 01-23-2017, 05:29 PM   #37
John Russell - NZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinM View Post
When it comes to "unexplainable" rejections, my humble opinion is that the submitter's "life dynamics" probably play a minor role. Rather, I think it has more to do with the submitter's back-channel relationship with the site management and/or their propensity to make snarky comments rather than engage in reasonable discourse. I think that there are indeed different rules applied to submissions by folks in that category. English translation: When you get sick of dealing with someone, you just no longer care what their photos look like.
You are so right Kevin. It's a pity it took me so long to learn this and that it took me 3 years to get acceptance into this forum. My big mistake soon after getting rejections as a new member was sending a polite e-mail pointing out what I thought were inconsistencies in photo acceptance. I should have done my homework and not sent it! So I'm not so sure that "nobody is listening" and I'm careful what I say here for that matter.

As for the photo rejections prompting this thread, I agree with the screener this time. The lighting just wasn't what it needs to be for those shots. As for the comparison photos which were accepted, these are as borderline as this one initially rejected only for being unlevel. Yes, one screener may give more leeway than another according to preferences. Photo now doing OK on Trainspo: https://trainspo.com/photo/78756/

I wonder whether strict screening for side/ back-lit photos makes that much difference to viewing statistics. Some of my cloudy and back-lit shots are more popular than most my sunny shots on Flickr etc - even less sunny photos of the same train. I guess that RP is a more critical audience though.
John Russell - NZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 11:36 PM   #38
JRMDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Russell - NZ View Post
I wonder whether strict screening for side/ back-lit photos makes that much difference to viewing statistics. Some of my cloudy and back-lit shots are more popular than most my sunny shots on Flickr etc - even less sunny photos of the same train. I guess that RP is a more critical audience though.
I don't think RP screening is that strategic or focused that one can say they are screening for viewing statistics. Just screener preference. They are who they are, they like what they like.

If they wanted more views, they could figure out a way to piss people off less. Of course, part of that comes with the territory and some (lots?) of people handle rejection poorly, especially rejection by some unknown individual. But there are other things they could do to keep RP in a more favorable light, perhaps, and gain viewers. I see no evidence that growth or improvement is a priority at RP.

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 01:09 AM   #39
KevinM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRMDC View Post
....some (lots?) of people handle rejection poorly, especially rejection by some unknown individual
LOL, yes! Including some very prominent people!

My RP stuff is here.

Link to my Flickr Albums. Lots of Steam Railroad stuff there from all over the US.
KevinM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 07:54 AM   #40
John Russell - NZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRMDC View Post
I don't think RP screening is that strategic or focused that one can say they are screening for viewing statistics. Just screener preference. They are who they are, they like what they like.
Yes well put. I didn't mean viewing statistics in just that way. Rather, as I said, my experience of response to photos posted here and elsewhere might suggest it's not so predictable how popular a photo might be. My photo would unlikely be more popular if it had better nose lighting, except on RP where it will have 0 views. It's perhaps not interesting enough or just different screener preference on re-submission. It comes down to accepting what they like a lot of the time - even if too bad for the viewing experience. I suspect that screeners aren't as inconsistent as some say - sometimes it's just luck of who you get.
John Russell - NZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 11:54 AM   #41
SAR Connecta

The bottom line is that everyone is free to post / submit / showcase their photos wherever they choose - there is nobody forcing anyone to use RailPictures.Net. I really feel for the RP screeners who are damned if they do and damned if they don't to be honest. If Flickr or any of the other similar sites are so much better than RP and you get to determine (judge) what you showcase rather than a silly / ridiculous / mean / ....(the list is endless) screener at RailPictures.Net, then that's the road that should be followed - as simple as that! Yes rejections are a reality at RailPictures.Net, try fix them, resubmit (maybe even appeal), but if they still fail then move on really. Another day, another train, another enjoyable moment of a lifetime HOBBY!
SAR Connecta is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 09:59 PM   #42
miningcamper1

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAR Connecta View Post
The bottom line is that everyone is free to post / submit / showcase their photos wherever they choose - there is nobody forcing anyone to use RailPictures.Net. I really feel for the RP screeners who are damned if they do and damned if they don't to be honest. If Flickr or any of the other similar sites are so much better than RP and you get to determine (judge) what you showcase rather than a silly / ridiculous / mean / ....(the list is endless) screener at RailPictures.Net, then that's the road that should be followed - as simple as that! Yes rejections are a reality at RailPictures.Net, try fix them, resubmit (maybe even appeal), but if they still fail then move on really. Another day, another train, another enjoyable moment of a lifetime HOBBY!
They could do themselves a world of good if they would post here once in a while. Even once a year would be an improvement.

I don't recall any posts by management since HG got banned.

Old 01-25-2017, 06:21 PM   #43
Rene de Vries

Quote:
They could do themselves a world of good if they would post here once in a while. Even once a year would be an improvement.
Yep, that is the main problem... there is literally no way to get in touch with the screeners.

And of course, the fact that screening is completely arbitrary doesn't make it any easier to "survive" here.

The bias towards American trains has been discussed several times here. It is odd though that some pictures (that really aren't any good) are accepted on RP.. I'm guessing because the person who uploaded the picture is willing to pay for this site..

Every now and then, I upload a picture... just for the fun of it. And every time I try to guess what the rejection reason will be

Here's an example:

http://www.drehscheibe-online.de/gal...id=119613&ix=3

(just click on the link in the green part of the screen)

Any guesses as to why it was rejected??

Cheers

René
Rene de Vries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 05:34 AM   #44
miningcamper1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rene de Vries View Post

Every now and then, I upload a picture... just for the fun of it. And every time I try to guess what the rejection reason will be

Here's an example:

http://www.drehscheibe-online.de/gal...id=119613&ix=3

(just click on the link in the green part of the screen)

Any guesses as to why it was rejected??
Hmmm, can't be "train too far away", since some very recent accepted ones have stretched "acceptable" to previously unheard-of limits.

Maybe "too centered" or "shadows", although (no surprise) I wouldn't agree with those reasons.

Old 01-26-2017, 12:44 PM   #45
ShortlinesUSA

Foreground clutter. And the focus appears more sharp on the foreground clutter than the train itself.

Shortline and Regional RR forum moderator
ShortlinesUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 01:19 PM   #46
ATSF666

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShortlinesUSA View Post
Foreground clutter. And the focus appears more sharp on the foreground clutter than the train itself.
Agreed, it's hard to tell what is the subject in this photo, the dried grass or the cityscape.
Old 01-26-2017, 03:12 PM   #47
RobJor

I don't mind the foreground, if you are looking at a landscape.. Two problems for me is all the trees and brush obscuring parts of the train. The other problem is the housing project background. You see so many of these neat European shots with neat building backgrounds. So you have this kind of nice park setting foreground, the train and then Yuk buildings.

Bob
RobJor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 04:17 PM   #48
miningcamper1

Poor lighting on the ducks? /sarcasm/

Old 01-29-2017, 03:18 AM   #49
RobJor

Going back to the original two rejections which some may remember(past the 7 days now) I saw this right at the top with a little help from some FB friends and I thought well maybe he has a point?????

Image © J Neu, Berlin
PhotoID: 604600
Photograph © J Neu, Berlin

Bob
RobJor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 09:10 PM   #50
Joe the Photog

Serious question. How does one define consistency when this web site has multiple screeners working on photographs and criteria that is nothing but subjective? I don't understand what kind of consistency folks are expecting other than that their shots always get on.